Mapex @ NAMM 2014

I believe this new SoniCLEAR launch is a type of hardware or device to manipulate the bearing edges on drums. Not sure how it can be done, but it sound like a sweet idea.

I'm interested to see what is planned.

I've got a 2007 era M Birch kit and i've recently got the "new kit fever". I'm considering upgrading to a Saturn IV or jumping ship completely soon. I'm hoping NAMM has some cool new offerings.

The show starts today, and more pics to come:

IMG_90631_zps19f2dfb2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_90611_zps70faa277.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks for the early pics Kevin. Looking forward to learn about the Armory line and new updates to Meridian!

Wow, really expanding the brands here... Interested in what the final results are! The finish on that Mars kit is very nice.

I think "Mars" refers to the hardware line. It looks to me like Falcon, Armory, and Mars are the new hardware lines, along with the new Black Panther snares.

FWIW, I've got a Falcon HH stand and Falcon bass pedal. Both are top-notch gear. I'm really curious about the Mars and Armory line. Being in Taiwan (where Mapex is from) will I get to see any of this new gear over here?

Our Facebook fans and twitter followers are having fun trying to predict what this is all about.

OK we give up, what is it?
I lifted this from Kevin's photo. Best clarity I could get, but it's readable.

Kevin, the sign says patent pending, are you serious? Trademark on Soniclear I can understand, but patenting an existing edge that's been used by others for years - really?

Attachments

• soniclear.jpg
    soniclear.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 834
I am fairly new to the tech side of drum things compared to some of you but I have seen the "sonic clear" edge on other drums for years. What is new?
Plus the new Evan 360 heads have vertical collars and not rounded collars so what will this do.? If you google bearing edges and click on images you will see many variations on round over /45 degree edges.

They have been doing this bearing edge on the Black Panther "Blaster" kit for the last year or two. The Blaster kit has walnut re-rings, so maybe the routing bit is a bit different for the varying thickness of the shells, but overall this bearing edge is not a completely new concept. It looks like its just something new they are introducing to their other lines.

I am fairly new to the tech side of drum things compared to some of you but I have seen the "sonic clear" edge on other drums for years. What is new?
Plus the new Evan 360 heads have vertical collars and not rounded collars so what will this do.? If you google bearing edges and click on images you will see many variations on round over /45 degree edges.
Grunt, if you take the Mapex graphic of the edge as an example. Let's assume the shell is about 6mm (1/4") thick. The radius used to generate the outer form of that edge (& typically many others like it) is about 3mm - 5mm (1/8" - 3/16") depending on the truncation point. That radius pretty much matches the radius on the Evans 360 head. I know because we shadowgraphed it :)

Cool thanks. I know the previous heads had a more pronounced curve. So I am thinking then that either the 360 head is going to fit fine orr the other "standard heads" are going to be a tough fit. Depending on the diameter from the top edge to the top edge on the other side. It will be lesss than 14 inches or whatever the toms are. It's as if they tried to do with the bearing edge what Evans did with the 360 Head

Last edited:
The fact that Kevin has created an account only to post pictures of the NAMM setup buggs me a bit. He has not responded to any questions or comments posted in this thread, and does not appear to be a contributing member in any other fashion.

To use the words of Shemp, this is a not-so thinly veiled attempt at marketing! This thread serves no purpose other than to increase the visibilty of Mapex on this forum.

The fact that Kevin has created an account only to post pictures of the NAMM setup buggs me a bit. He has not responded to any questions or comments posted in this thread, and does not appear to be a contributing member in any other fashion.

To use the words of Shemp, this is a not-so thinly veiled attempt at marketing! This thread serves no purpose other than to increase the visibilty of Mapex on this forum.

Exactly. This thread belongs in the For Sale section, at least.

Exactly. This thread belongs in the For Sale section, at least.

As much as I like Mapex and perhaps a borderline fanboy = / I agree with Larry on this.

A dissenting voice here - I wish all the manufacturers would do that.
A little inside information beyond pictures would be nice too though.

It's as if they tried to do with the bearing edge what Evans did with the 360 Head
Effectively yes, but for different reasons. The truth is, unless we're talking ultra low tensions, and/or very thick heads, the head will follow the bearing edge profile to a greater extent. An exception to that being a sharp peak transition to a acute flat outer cut. Think in terms of a sharp double 45 or 60 degree. We've used a half roundover for as long as I can remember. The reasoning behind that is straightforward, it drives more vibration into the shell, & on solid shells especially, that makes an appreciable difference. Additionally, we augment the crest/peak radius according to the head sustain & other characteristics we're seeking to generate. That radius can be so large it equates to a small flat in some cases, or can be almost knife sharp in others.

As for Mapex, I have no issue with this thread other than a desire for Kevin to get more into replies & details, but in fairness to Kevin, I suspect that's not his professional remit. I've made an observation on Mapex's intention to file a patent on the bearing edge design. Personally, I think that's crazy, & being used to give the impression the edge is something they've conceived, & that adds to their "innovative" credentials. I get all that, & there's many who will believe it, but ultimately, you can't patent something that's already out there in the market, even if you developed it yourself. How that pans out will not be a subject aired on this forum.

All this said, the claims that Mapex are making about the benefits/characteristics of the edge they've chosen are all completely true. They've decided to market it, & attach a trademark (that also covers other features). That's fine, & they should stick with that. Outside of this, manufacturers should be encouraged to engage with this forum, & I welcome Kevin's presence.

And my education accumulates. Thanks for that Andy. You need to write a small pamphlet for sale for a dollar, or a pound, and flood the music stores on bearing edges and tuning.

Last edited:
Back