Mapex Armory series

lildrummer16

These drums just came out at NAMM, and they look pretty decent considering its $899 for a 6 piece shell pack with a steel snare. I'm guessing that these are similar to Meridians, just with the new hardware and sonic-clear bearing edges, and will most likely be replacing them in the near future. Considering I am looking for a NEW kit in this price range, (keep in mind i do need to also buy some decent hardware too,) would this be a good buy for the price range? this would be a BIG upgrade from my current 1988 Tama Rockstar, which has served me well. I am not looking to spend really more than a grand for a shell pack, and these really seem to fit the bill. this is in my opinion one of the best new mid-range kits out there at this time, (of course i will need to hear them first, but i have played on Meridians before and I'm thinking they will have a similar sound.) So does anyone think these kits are of an " fairly acceptable" shell quality (even though they are Asian kits) and would these last me a decent amount of time? or does anyone have a better option?( around the $1000 range)

Last edited:
I think they look kind of fantastic. In this price range, there are things like the also new Ludwig Signet 105 (with some add-ons) and of course used high-end kits. But for what you seem to want, I think they look great. Especially with that snare trade-in thing I read about on their website- that is a shockingly great service and the drums available look solid. Sadly, no 13" models, but whatever.

By the way, they aren't Saturns. I'm not sure if the Saturn IVs are going to have the ridiculously patent-attempted bearing edge, but they are a maple/walnut shell anyways (armory are IIRC maple/birch) and likely higher quality maple all around. Saturns also have upgraded kick spurs compared to this line (They do have the same suspension system, though).

The new snare series is pretty interesting and looks like it could offer some really interesting products at an affordable price tag - an intermediate step before the BP range.

These are going to be the new mid range Meridian-type kit, surely? For that price tag I cannot see it alongside the Saturns.

Incidentally I hate the tom mounts on those (and the new Saturns) =/

.... this is in my opinion one of the best new mid-range kits out there at this time....

Any particular reason for that opinion?

I don't think too many people have seen those kits yet, but AFAIK - Mars and Armory are replacing Meridian birch and maple. The Saturn line is recently revamped, so they're not going anywhere for a while.

Lots of nice stuff available in that price range. Go take a look at some of it with an open mind.

I saw them at NAMM.

They seem fantastic for that price. I was blown away what you get for so little money.

However, I can not say I actually played one yet.

I'll take one in Photon Blue for that price. 5 Piece that is

Mars and Armory are replacing the Meridian line(s). Armory shells are birch/maple/birch with SONICLEAR edges (round to flat to interior 45 degree) and SONICLEAR suspension (pretty much exactly what Sonor uses). The edges are supposed to fit drumheads better and make tuning easier/faster. Armoy has laquer finishes. The kits come with the steel snare and you have up to two weeks to swap it out for one of the other snares, or get one of the other snares instead of the steel one when you buy it. There are some hardware color options as well.

The only thing Saturn IV-like on these kits are the SONICLEAR suspension mounts. Supposedly all Mapex drums will get the SONICLEAR edge in the future.

I'm a huge Mapex fan. I went and bought more Meridian Maple drums while I could still find them when I saw these were released and replacing the Meridians. (read: I'm not a fan.)

I think they look kind of fantastic. In this price range, there are things like the also new Ludwig Signet 105 (with some add-ons) and of course used high-end kits. But for what you seem to want, I think they look great. Especially with that snare trade-in thing I read about on their website- that is a shockingly great service and the drums available look solid. Sadly, no 13" models, but whatever.

By the way, they aren't Saturns. I'm not sure if the Saturn IVs are going to have the ridiculously patent-attempted bearing edge, but they are a maple/walnut shell anyways (armory are IIRC maple/birch) and likely higher quality maple all around. Saturns also have upgraded kick spurs compared to this line (They do have the same suspension system, though).

yeah, the snare trade in really got my attention, and the finishes are pretty good. of course they are definatly not saturns, but are a decent quality maple and birch... i doubt saturns will adopt the new sonic clear edge, but only time will tell...

Any particular reason for that opinion?

I don't think too many people have seen those kits yet, but AFAIK - Mars and Armory are replacing Meridian birch and maple. The Saturn line is recently revamped, so they're not going anywhere for a while.

Lots of nice stuff available in that price range. Go take a look at some of it with an open mind.

when i first saw this kit, it just stood out to me, grabbed my attention, and i believe in the future this will become a pretty popular kit, and i think it will have a good reputation... (cant go wrong with Mapex!)

and i have been looking at other kits in this price range for awhile... i'm liking the stage customs alot too... they seem to be a good value...

Mapex Mid-series are an amazing bang for your buck. Owned 2 Pro M's which are older versions of Meridian Maple with a little different hardware and bearing edge. They were first single 45 degree cut edges, and the meridians seem to be a double 45, and now there's this cool soniclear thing.

Overall the quality is great, no double tom mount splintered edges on the bass drum and that sort of thing. Of course its not aged or matured american maple, buts that why they're not a couple grand.

I'd say focus on the videos of them and see which sound you like better. If you like both and can afford both, then choose a color! haha

Like the others have said, the armory is a maple/birch hybrid, while the mars is a birch.

Not sure how the armory is supposed to sound, but the mars is straight birch, which should be similar to the old M Birch's, and meridian birch's. Maybe even other brand models.

If you don't mind discontinued drums and are looking for a steal, I recommend meridian maples. I bought my Jazz Fusion Meridian Maple in November last year for 600 with free shipping. It's the best kit I've owned yet, put remo coated ambs and clears on toms and it sings! Since the whole meridian series is discontinued they are all at blowout prices which is pretty sweet. Or for a couple hundred extra you could go with the newest and latest NAMM releases.

Not to be biased, the other brands have great stuff too, but only looked at a few so far. There's always craigslist and ebay which you could try to get used high end if you have the will and patience.

As lildrummer said, you can't go wrong with Mapex!

With these new kits coming out dealers are selling off the Meridians - in all configurations - at crazy cheap prices. You can even still find the old Saturns for sale in the price range you are going for. I recently picked one up for $750. If you can find something like that I would go for it. You would never need another kit:). Anyway, I imagine the armory will sound a lot like the meridian black series, which was/is also maple and birch.

Hah, keep it simple! I know its from marketing. Just wanted to be positive and optimistic about something that's been around, just renamed and apparently now being patented.

Pardaigsmith exactly! Wow what a deal, 750?! Man that is sweet! And forgot about the special series they had shortly, those snares all sounded so good! Those drums are fairly similar except finish and inner finish as far as I know.

So what I'm getting from that video, is that this new edge is just a rolled over 45/60° bearing edge? In other words, they're trying to patent a cut that is frequently used...? At least that's my understanding.

Better yet, instead of this SONIClear edge, why not just use an Evans or Aquarian head, which both sit perfectly level anyways?

For this talk by Mapex, they still haven't updated their websites with the new drum kit info--at least not as of last week, and worse no video/sound files to demonstrate the Armory kits.

Talk about bad marketing. NAMM is well over, and still no footage to show how the kits sound??

So what I'm getting from that video, is that this new edge is just a rolled over 45/60° bearing edge? In other words, they're trying to patent a cut that is frequently used...? At least that's my understanding.

Better yet, instead of this SONIClear edge, why not just use an Evans or Aquarian head, which both sit perfectly level anyways?

Well, the edge isn't primarily for the 'level seating' of those head brands, but for an actual sound purpose. Yes, it is quite ridiculous that they are trying to patent it, though, as there is a huge history of prior art. We'll see how it goes...

Yes, it is quite ridiculous that they are trying to patent it, though, as there is a huge history of prior art. We'll see how it goes...
I couldn't possibly comment on that.

Back