Sonor

Boneybeaverbrother

Here are two of my newest kits, both are Sonor, the first one is a silver sparkle bop kit with a 12,14,18,14, the second is a Phonics in a black wrap, 13,16,22. The bop kit is made of basswood and is very inexpensive, but they sound fantastic, the Phonics kit has 9ply beechwood shells and is built like a tank, they also sound great and were made in Germany, thanks.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 955
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 972
Last edited:
Very nice! A friend of mine compared an old Phonic like that to the then-new Pearl Exports back in the late 80s-early 90s. It was a complete apples-oranges comparison. Sonor knows how to do it right.

There is no comparison between Pearl Export and Sonor Phonics kits. The Phonics series were top of the line from Sonor back in the 80"s. Sonor used heavy duty hardware and with the 9ply beechwood shells they weigh a ton. That can be a bad thing at late night gigs, but the quality is top notch, anyone who has owned a German made Sonor kit knows they are probably the best built drums in the world.

always loved the sound and quality of Sonor kits

never owned one....but always admired from afar

Here are a few more pics of the bop kit.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,868
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 845
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,005
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 825
I'm using a vintage Zildjian 20" ride with rivets, a Soultone 19" Extreme crash, the hi-hats are Zildjian 13" New Beats and the one in my drum bag is a Zildjian 16" medium crash.

"If You're Thinkin' About My Baby It Don't Matter If You're Black Or White" hehe

Very nice kits! :D

Lovely. The Phonics are very special. Love the bop kit as well.

A short note on 70's and 80's Phonic quality. Back in the day Sonor was buying the highest quality furniture grade beech. Today this wood has become price prohibitive. Cannot believe someone went to the trouble of comparing such shells to entry level cheap Pearl Exports.

There is no comparison between Pearl Export and Sonor Phonics kits. The Phonics series were top of the line from Sonor back in the 80"s. Sonor used heavy duty hardware and with the 9ply beechwood shells they weigh a ton. That can be a bad thing at late night gigs, but the quality is top notch, anyone who has owned a German made Sonor kit knows they are probably the best built drums in the world.
I love the Phonics, & yours look very tasty indeed.

Comparing Exports to Phonics? Well, you can of course compare them, but there's only one conclusion ;) ;) ;)

Sonor = best built drums in the world? Hmmm, they're superb, but "best" is subjective. Out of all the major manufacturers, Sonor are absolutely hands down the brand I would choose.

I love the Phonics, & yours look very tasty indeed.

Comparing Exports to Phonics? Well, you can of course compare them, but there's only one conclusion ;) ;) ;)

Sonor = best built drums in the world? Hmmm, they're superb, but "best" is subjective. Out of all the major manufacturers, Sonor are absolutely hands down the brand I would choose.

Wise words. There is no best. There are many fine brands to choose from. Each has its voice. I have become very fond of Yamaha. For a long time I did not "get" Yamaha. Until at a recording session using an Oak Custom kit I experienced the marvel that is the ten minute sound check. I immediately bought an Oak Custom.
Sonor are typically German. Pride, dedication to quality and attention to detail are paramount. I own a Sonor snare that is over 100 years old. Those same principles applied then as well.
I like just about any well made drum, Ludwig, Gretsch, Tama etc. Best? Still searching...

Back