The origin of the term "Gospel Chops"

I love this guy, he's a phenomenal as a player and a great guy as well. Chops & pocket all day long.

I never hear Chris play in the pocket.. I think Chris plays on the beat with such precision that I almost don't notice his playing, or it flies under my radar or something, it's weird. He's very sharp (and very fast).

Respectfully disagreeing, I think. Or just musing. He's something else.

There are a number of gospel chops/drum shedding videos on YouTube. They are awesome, and musically interesting on there own. I wish they would develop their cymbal work a little more though. Do they have to punctuate every phrase with a full on crash? Yaddaduhyaddadum...Crash! I just think it distracts from the meat of their chops, and makes it sound well choppy.

Very cool that he explained how the term came about. I never understood why it's called "gospel chops". Cool post! Great player!

You can hear Chris here with someone who is very accurate. Chris definitely moves it around a bit more. https://youtu.be/4RS5RsSPssw

I think Dave shouldn't be playing on that track ;)

But then again, I'm not sure I'd dig the whole album anyway - it reminds me of some of the 'corporate jazz' I used to listen to in the 70s and the 80s ;)

Back