"Miking demo. What do you think?"

Here is a drum track from a project I'm working on this year. I used three mics - two overheads and one on the reso side of the kick. I added a little reverb to compensate for the lack of room mic and also to fatten up the sound a little bit as well as boosting the bass and throwing on some compression.

What do you think of the sound? I'm open to any advice, comments, criticisms, etc.

Thanks!

JFJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4qywSy_q8c

Re: Miking demo. What do you think?

Sounded wonderful. I enjoyed the sound and the playing.

How much headroom remains on the highs? There was a bit of wash and lack of clarity in the cymbals at times that may cause things to get muddled once guitars are brought into the mix. Nothing that an extra 3db up top shouldn't reconcile. Depending on where the other instruments sit, you might not even need to touch it.

What overheads are you using, and in what configuration?

I really liked the overall vibe. The snare and bass sounded great to me. The toms were a bit weak or thin for my taste, but certainly within reason. You're getting a very Zeppelin-y sound, overall. I'd love to hear it mixed with the other instruments.

Very nice, Juice. At first i thought that you had a bass guitar playing with your bass drum, then realized that the BD actually has TONE! That's not common. Overall, i love the sound of the snare and the toms. I agree that the toms were not delivering all of the tone that they could, but that's not going to happen without close miking. I think you've done quite a nice job. Looking forward to hearing the complete mix.

Thanks for posting the process.

GeeDeeEmm

Sounds great as a kit on its own (toms are a little thin IMO.)

But once you start to mix the track, you'll be making balance and EQ changes you haven't anticipated. It will be more revealing to hear the drums solo'd after you've done the final mix.

Bermuda

Very nice, Bonham-esque sound. Your kit sounds great. It'd Be nice to compare with no reverb or EQ at all.

Re: Micing Demo

I like the overall sound, although I will say that the compression is a little heavy handed and the cymbals are suffering as a result. I would consider a little more reinforcement of the toms.

The tone is great but I'm not quite sure the kit is balanced. The cymbals are a little far back in the mix for my taste. A very good start though.

Back