Istanbul Agop Picture-Fest

Time to revive this old thread with some new Agop Turkish B20 handmade bronze blood.

First up one front and 2 back shots of a Agop green label 22' Signature ride at 2210g followed by a Agop 18" Signature China at 1360g front followed by a back shot. Simply delicious sounding Istanbul Agop pies! Enjoy!

Attachments

• Agop Sig china {back}.jpg
    Agop Sig china {back}.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 897
  • Agop Sig 18 china {front}.jpg
    Agop Sig 18 china {front}.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 880
  • Agop Sig {back}.jpg
    Agop Sig {back}.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 888
  • Agop Sig 22 {back}.jpg
    Agop Sig 22 {back}.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 886
  • Agop Sig {front}.jpg
    Agop Sig {front}.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 899
Last edited:
God, Stan...these look beautiful, especially this 22" Ride.
I wish I could finally sell my Dry Light Ride for such a beautiful SE or Signature pie!

BTW, I`m currently listening to "We knew" by your friend Allan Johnston. Did you use the SE TW for this recording. Sound incredibly woody and dark with a smooth vibe if you know...

Karl

God, Stan...these look beautiful, especially this 22" Ride.
I wish I could finally sell my Dry Light Ride for such a beautiful SE or Signature pie!

BTW, I`m currently listening to "We knew" by your friend Allan Johnston. Did you use the SE TW for this recording. Sound incredibly woody and dark with a smooth vibe if you know...

Karl

Yes Karl the main ride you hear is the 22" SE TW on "We knew". The others used for that piece were a 22" Turk Jazz Ride,21" Mel Lewis {2 rivets} and 14" Agop Sig hats.

That 22" Agop Sig is indeed a stunning ride cymbal and the 18" Sig china has an incredible trash factor in all the best ways possible Karl.

Stan, We Knew sounds absolutely fantastic - absolutely GOLD playing, sir. Those cymbals are something else too and I know this is a bit off topic, but what kit are you using on it?
I need to get some pics of my humble 2 Istanbul Agop pies on here soon...

Stan, We Knew sounds absolutely fantastic - absolutely GOLD playing, sir. Those cymbals are something else too and I know this is a bit off topic, but what kit are you using on it?
I need to get some pics of my humble 2 Istanbul Agop pies on here soon...

Thanks for the kind words foursticks. The drums were a studio Yamaha kit and my 14"x 5 1/2" Peace 9 ply bubinga snare drum. The rest of the recording of more tunes for an upcoming CD will feature my entire Peace bubinga kit in the studio.

Join the fun let's see your Agops foursticks.

My Contribution,

l_5b8fcbd5d53debfb5eba1e5fa1e21054.jpg

l_72a3677c0266a80d181e00e16f568760.jpg

The best cymbal I have ever played (in my opinion!)
18" Istanbul Agop Traditional China!

I am fully converting from Sabian to Istanbul now!

Damn, I'd love your collection Steamer lol!

Time to add some new Turkish bronze to the fun.

14" Empire high hats 1060g top 1270g bottom
21" Ottoman Jazz Ride 1970g

Attachments

• Ottoman jazz Ride {back} 1970g.jpg
    Ottoman jazz Ride {back} 1970g.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 894
  • Ottoman Jazz Ride {front} 1970g.jpg
    Ottoman Jazz Ride {front} 1970g.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 882
  • Empire hats {back}.jpg
    Empire hats {back}.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 877
  • Empire hats {front}.jpg
    Empire hats {front}.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 903
Last edited:
I took all eleven of my Istanbul Agop cymbals down for a while and put my two (2) Istanbul Agop ride cymbals up here (all alone) to really check them out with the drums. I bought them along with my other cymbals last October but I had them packed away in their cymbal bags until now.

They are:

The serial numbered collectors 06 22 inch and 25th Anniversary 20.5 inch rides.
They sound wicked with those Vic Firth (Steve Smith) birch Tala Wands!

Attachments

• A LATIN FEEL 1-web.JPG
    A LATIN FEEL 1-web.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 1,158
Thought I might finally put up some pictures of my AGOPs.
Both beautiful and very thin. A few pictures.
21" Signature Ride 1856g

Sig1-26.jpg

Sig2-18.jpg

Sig3-059.jpg
Sig4-64.jpg

Crazy how the camera and lighting can totally change the look of the cymbal. I really like the tan/brown sort of look, like from the close up and back shot, but really it's color is closer to the other shots, maybe even a bit darker. Even in real life they change their appearance often. lol

Last edited:
I took all eleven of my Istanbul Agop cymbals down for a while and put my two (2) Istanbul Agop ride cymbals up here (all alone) to really check them out with the drums. I bought them along with my other cymbals last October but I had them packed away in their cymbal bags until now.

They are:

The serial numbered collectors 06 22 inch and 25th Anniversary 20.5 inch rides.
They sound wicked with those Vic Firth (Steve Smith) birch Tala Wands!

Nice Kona. I rotate my Agops alot too well trying to select just the right cymbal for certain musical situations so it's cool just to put up just a couple to get to know better what you have.

In regards to the 06 and 25th rides. Well selecting my new "treasures" last Monday in walks in right after i'm done but another local jazz drummer veteran i've known going on some 30 years now. This was his first venture into the world of Istanbul Agop cymbal and to make a long story short after going through lots of cool jazz type rides and hanging out and sharing old stories he went home with both the 06 and 25th rides at the end of the day as his personal favorites. His first step into the "Turkish addiction" is off to a good start i'd say :}

This also means that there is only a couple of brand new 06 rides up for grabs in North America since the quota has long been reached and production of them has ceased and Heartbeat Percussion has the last few of what's left of them in stock at present.

Thought I might finally put up some pictures of my AGOPs.
Both beautiful and very thin. A few pictures.
21" Signature Ride 1856g

Sig1-26.jpg

Sig2-18.jpg

Sig3-059.jpg
Sig4-64.jpg

Crazy how the camera and lighting can totally change the look of the cymbal. I really like the tan/brown sort of look, like from the close up and back shot, but really it's color is closer to the other shots, maybe even a bit darker. Even in real life they change their appearance often. lol

Awesome Latin Groover. The Agop Signature cymbals are pure bronze art in my view and your pictures yet again capture the beauty of these cymbals.

Hey how's the stick over wash ratio on on your 21" 1856g Sig by the way? . Pretty light for a 21" incher but hey when I heard the way on top woody stick click on my Ottoman 21" Jazz Ride at 1970g it changed FOREVER everything I had previously believed in regards to thinner Agop rides at least in regards to what this particular Ottoman design managed to pull off which came as quite a surprise to me. Best heard stick click over wash according to an old long time friend and jazz guitar player I work with and this is the LIGHTEST/ THINNESS Agop ride in my collection. Go figure :}

Last edited:
Awesome Latin Groover. The Agop Signature cymbals are pure bronze art in my view and your pictures yet again capture the beauty of these cymbals.

Hey how's the stick over wash ratio on on your 21" 1856g Sig by the way? . Pretty light for a 21" incher but hey when I heard the way on top woody stick click on my Ottoman 21" Jazz Ride at 1970g it changed FOREVER everything I had previously believed in regards to thinner Agop rides at least in regards to what this particular Ottoman design managed to pull off which came as quite a surprise to me. Best heard stick click over wash according to an old long time friend and jazz guitar player I work with and this is the LIGHTEST/ THINNESS Agop ride in my collection. Go figure :}

Yea both mine are very thin
21" Signature 1856g
20"SE 1581g
But they are both amazing. The sig has a fairly strong, stick definition over that dark, trashy wash that is the AGOP sig. I like to describe the stick definition as 'beady', as it has this small, precise, but still very present click. It's amazingly controllable, I can play from a whisper to crashing it and it follows. It doesn't ring for ages either, perfectly controllable.
Whats your lightest sig? Do you only have a 21" and 22", I'd love a 22"sig, big brother set-up.
But then I'm also saving for a 22", 21" Turk, and I love the sig hats. I'd love to know how your Epoch goes too. My addiction definitely has started.

Back