TOM TUNING

Re: Tuning tom heads

A more likely sign that your resonant heads need to be replaced would be that you were able to tune your toms, but they quickly went out of tune.

The problem may be poorly matched batters and resos. What kind of resonant heads are your druns sporting?

Some people tune their heads while having both heads on. I'm not sure how you do it, but I'd take all heads off first, then begin with the batter head. Tune that to a pitch where you get a more or less consistent tone (one that does not lower or raise pitch in time). When you get that done, slap the reso head on and adjust the tension once again so that you get a consistent tone. I recently started doing in that way and it helps a lot.
I'm not sure if I have just stated something that should be really obvious.. but for me it has not been the obvious way to work for a long time.

My suggestion,
assuming your top head is now adjusted , leave it alone and reach under to the reso head and adjust only one tension rod , go up then down and see if it changes the pitch of the drum, if it does then readjust the reso heads , if it doesn't replace the reso head on that tom. I have had to do this and is worth the time it takes to do it.
Rick

low end tuning

i bought a DW collector's a few days ago, and i am having trouble tuning the kit.

i preffer to have the low-end tuning, but when i try and tune liek that it doesnt have any tone to it.

any suggestions??
sam

Re: low end tuning

Given any "specific" size and make drum, it has a range of tune. I drive a Ludwig 26x14 kick. Wonderful drum, but I don't ask it to sound like a 20x14. You have to work with and accept the tonal range your drums were designed to produce.

Tom Tuning

hey everyone.
this is actually a realy dumb question but yeah.i havent changed my tom skins for awhile and i finally bought a new complete set.if you tune, what is usually tuned the highest.the bottom skin or the top skin.something just sounds so false to me.

Re: Tom Tuning

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/ Take a look at this for more information on tuning.

I usually tune my resonant heads one tone above the top head (think of the Jaws theme). But you can tune them lower or at the same pitch as the top head, it's all personal preference.

I don't understand what you mean by something sounds "false" to you?

Thanx alot for helping.
yeah, sorry for the false word.i just meant "wrong" to me or something.like i dident like the sound, sounded awful.
thanx again

I went to school with a guy called Tom Tuning, he had a sister called Viola. Theres a great video on youtube where Nicko McBrain shows how to tune toms, well worth watching!!

Use the search functionnnn!!!!!!! Anyways, I also tune my resonant head a tone higher than my batter.

Re: MAPEX SATURN -> Studio Tuning??? HELP!

Okay, I ended up using my Mapex Saturn. Used Coated Studio X batters over Classic Clears on the Toms...Aquarian Superkick II on the kick with a Regulator, and the black panther maple received a evans genera hd dry over a clear ambassador....everything sounded killer in there!!! especially the kick and snare....i will post links to recordings once the mixing and mastering is done :)

Problem with tuning..plz help

I started tuning my toms and ive been experiencing stuff that so irritating.when tuning, must you tighen the lugs finger titened and then search for the highest sounding lug and tune every lug like that one to get the same pitch on each lug?

ive been getting this problem that one lug is always higher.the other lugs are all the same pitch but the one same lug stays higher and if i tune that one the rest tunes out.it never catches up with that lug.whats happening here?

Re: Problem with tuning..plz help

I started tuning my toms and ive been experiencing stuff that so irritating.when tuning, must you tighen the lugs finger titened and then search for the highest sounding lug and tune every lug like that one to get the same pitch on each lug?

ive been getting this problem that one lug is always higher.the other lugs are all the same pitch but the one same lug stays higher and if i tune that one the rest tunes out.it never catches up with that lug.whats happening here?

ok ok ok, first man relax..

dont tune around each lug like (dont tune in a cirlce) this could cause uneven tunning very fast

try the star method although i think it has a proper name

this is when you criss cross your lugs..

maybe you should look into proper tuning methods..

is it the head or the shell? becaues the head might not be seated properly

hope this helps.

Dom

Re: Problem with tuning..plz help

Have you read the drum tuning bible? If not, google it.

Back