Which wrap for my new Ludwig Classic Maple?

Well, my suggestion is not going to be the typical response. I am an engineer, I am more into function then form. I am also color blind, so the color of the wrap is really not important to me.

I would suggest that you get the ugliest wrap out there. One that does not appeal to you. Because it would most likely be discontinued soonest and then you will have a rare color/ wrap design on your hands and everyone else would be willing to spend money on it.

Hence, the blue/olive oyster ;)

It's an instantly discontinued classic!

Hence, the blue/olive oyster ;)

It's an instantly discontinued classic!

I like the way you think Bo. Just because its popular, doesn't mean that YOU like it. Who cares what others think. I don't associate the VBOP with Ringo's kit. I know that's what he used, but to be honest, I have never listened to much of the Beatles, and my kit will dwarf his sized kit and make it look like a toy. But there you go.

I like the way you think Bo. Just because its popular, doesn't mean that YOU like it. Who cares what others think. I don't associate the VBOP with Ringo's kit. I know that's what he used, but to be honest, I have never listened to much of the Beatles, and my kit will dwarf his sized kit and make it look like a toy. But there you go.

I originally wasn't thinking the finish would be discontinued, I rather quite like it. When I was standing with Bermuda at the Ludwig display at NAMM, and he sorta vibed that he wasn't thrilled with it, I really dug it. It really spoke to me. So when the time came that I could jump on a set with the exact dimensions I wanted, I did. Couldn't be happier with it. But I understand not every finish is everybody's cup of tea, and that's cool. That's why there are so many finishes and brands to choose from.

Although I didn't see anything Rikky Rockett was doing that I liked. Maybe I'm not metal enough ;)

Although I didn't see anything Rikky Rockett was doing that I liked.

Wow! Nice hair metal reference.

rikkirockettrikkihair.jpg

Not much love here for the WMP? I love mine...

Attachments

• IMG_7389.JPG
    IMG_7389.JPG
    367 KB · Views: 3,198
Wow! Nice hair metal reference.

rikkirockettrikkihair.jpg

Well, I was just pointing that apparently Rikki Rockett is making his own drums and I've seen them for the last two years at the NAMM show. I don't know who's buying them, but the graphics are all the stereotypical girls-and-rock-n-roll bit. Alert the media.

I really dig all those finishes you listed, but Orange Glass Glitter gets my vote. Looks killer under the lights and everyone seems to like it. Here's a couple pics of my Classic Maples and Keystones in that wrap. Sorry for the terrible pics, but that's all I have. When I get a free minute, I'll snap some better ones. Threw one in of my Vintage Black Oyster kit just for good measure. It's awesome too.

Attachments

• 1234_zps08dba86a.jpg
    1234_zps08dba86a.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 2,489
  • 180883_667385467334_32304028_36195979_2907958_n.jpg
    180883_667385467334_32304028_36195979_2907958_n.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 2,420
  • 167151_667385846574_32304028_36195982_2172999_n.jpg
    167151_667385846574_32304028_36195982_2172999_n.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 2,410
  • a88ab76d-c78d-4a0b-9d9c-a893014ede88_zps0da3a126.jpg
    a88ab76d-c78d-4a0b-9d9c-a893014ede88_zps0da3a126.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 2,413
First of all i want to thank you all for posting in this thread, for good advices and for all these nice pictures!

@Road Bull: Congratulations to your new Classic Maple. It looks very cool (i read your thread). By the way, your description of vintage black oyster ("... looks like a mixture of smoke, water, and clouds.") - better than Shakespeare ;-)

After reading all the posts, i made a new list of my favorites:

1. Vintage White Marine Pearl (precius, classic and nice effects in changing spotlights)
2. Vintage Black Oyster (see above)
3. Orange Glass Glitter

And now ... the post of brianb has changed the list again! Again i got bitten by the (orange) bug. Thank you Brian!

Orange Glass Glitter is leading. And if nobody stops me (maybe my wife) i will go to the local drum shop at the end of this week and order my dreamset in Orange Glass Glittter.

Is there any protest from you? No? So here we go! ;-)

I will post pics as soon as possible. Delivery time to Germany is about 5 months!

Once again i want to thank you all! Nice forum.

Cool! Orange Glass Glitter looks sharp. It looks great in person too. Some times you just have to feel it out until one finish speaks to you. Keep us posted!

I like WMP, but something about Ludwigs implementation puts me a bit off. It's almost 'too white' for my taste. Maybe it's the black highlights that I dislike.

Gretsch made a cream renown that I liked the look of.

TU9DDgb.jpg

I'd end up going for Ludwig's "Blue Oyster" if I had the bucks.

As promised, some better pics of my Orange Glass Glitter kit.

Attachments

• Orange Glitter Ludwigs.jpg
    Orange Glitter Ludwigs.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 2,290
  • Orange Glitter Ludwigs 4.jpg
    Orange Glitter Ludwigs 4.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 2,331
  • Orange Glitter Ludwigs 2.jpg
    Orange Glitter Ludwigs 2.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 3,365
I remember an Abbott and Costello skit:
Costello: When I get married, I'm going to marry an ugly girl

Abbott: Why?

Costello: If I marry a pretty girl, she might leave me

Abbott: But an ugly girl might leave you too

Costello: Yeah, but who cares?
So, my question is this:
Is it any less flattering to you when an ugly person tells you that you're hot?

Go with the ugliest wrap and you will not be disappointed.

Hey Drumjack,

Any updates? I bounced around on ordering a new kit for a while before I settled on what I wanted. I am glad I did, because it was worth the wait to get something that you want. I almost jumped on a used Vistalite kit before I ordered my kit. I am glad I thought it over a bit because I really enjoy the sizes that I selected for my current kit. And visually, I have to say it is the best looking kit I have owned.

And since everyone here is sharing pics, I suppose I will add one more to the pile. OK, maybe two.

Attachments

• LCM1 - Copy.jpg
    LCM1 - Copy.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 2,346
  • LCM3 - Copy.jpg
    LCM3 - Copy.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 2,267
Back