my taye and pdp sets

Pacific platinum series in tobacco to black burst. 10, 12, 14 toms, 14 snare, 20 bass.
zildjian zht cymbals. I would like to replace these with some istanbul agop turk series cymbals eventually. I also need to get better hardware for this set, as its entry level dixon hardware, but it was really cheap...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Taye original series in ruby to black burst. 10, 12, 14 toms, 14 snare, 20 bass. The depths are a little different from the pdp set. I don't remember off the top of my head though.
zildjian k custom dry light ride, session hi hats, session crash, also have a dark splash, but i don't have a stand for it right now because i'm using my extra stands for the pdp set since the bass is virgin.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nice looking kits you have there. It looks really low to the ground or is it just the way the pictures are taken?

Not sure. Here are some more though.

I'm about 5'8 and find it a little hard to feel comfortable when i'm playing. I sit pretty high up and like to have the snare at about waist height. I found that a one up two down setup seems to work pretty well. As you can probably tell from the pictures, I'm a lefty. The only problem I have with a one up two down setup is that my right hand can have a little trouble playing the floor tom, because I have to reach. I found its easier on my pdp set than taye. I'm not really sure why though...

Attachments

• DSC04190.jpg
    DSC04190.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 562
  • DSC04196.jpg
    DSC04196.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 561
Maybe it would be a good idea to raise the floor toms a bit more? Or change their angle. :)

Besides, on the first picture, is that a small china next to your hi-hats? What type of cymbal is that?

Looks like a Wuhan.

It's interesting that in both your setups you have your ride way to the side on your strong sides set up and your crash is almost in the traditional ride position.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with this but I wonder, based on your previous post,if you don't need to recenter yourself with your set up.

Try moving your drums and cymbals to experiment with a set up where more of your playing takes place in front of you, rather than to the sides. Besides the fact that alternating your set can make you more versatile on "any" kit, you might adjust back to a setup that's in between where you have it now and a "front-and-center" setup.. ..and then perhaps like it.

I like both kits and their finishes. Nice looking drums.

Maybe it would be a good idea to raise the floor toms a bit more? Or change their angle. :)

Besides, on the first picture, is that a small china next to your hi-hats? What type of cymbal is that?

I don't know if you noticed in the pictures, but you can kinda see the floor tom legs. The back ones are already as high as they can go. I've always found it odd that drum manufacturers don't make floor tom legs that can go at a minimum at least as high as a snare stand can go. I think the solution to my problem would be longer floor tom legs.

Also, that is a china. It is a wuhan lion china, my mom got it for me at guitar center.

I've tried a bunch of different setups, and although this setup has its own problems, its what I've found most comfortable. I don't really like the traditional setup for a five piece set. Also, ideally, I would have two crashes, one in the traditional spot and one in my "standard" spot where the second mounted tom would be on a traditional setup. I don't really have any problem reaching the crash or the ride, its just reaching the floor tom with my right hand that can be a little troublesome.

Just picked up a dw 5000 series hihat stand today I found on craigslist for $60. Its a three leg stand, but the guy replaced one of the rivets to a screw so you can convert into a two leg stand too. Its in really good condition.

Just picked up a dw 5000 series hihat stand today I found on craigslist for $60. Its a three leg stand, but the guy replaced one of the rivets to a screw so you can convert into a two leg stand too. Its in really good condition.

If I may be so brave to offer advice on that subject: leave the three legs on. I've tried the two-legged hi-hat stands (DW and Tama), and they're just not as sturdy on two legs. It's a physics thing.

I will probably leave them on. I don't plan on getting a double pedal unless I can find another deal as good as the one I passed on a few weeks ago. I saw a dw 5000 series lefty double pedal on ebay go for $150. I just really didn't feel like getting into a bidding war at the time so I passed on it.

If I may be so brave to offer advice on that subject: leave the three legs on. I've tried the two-legged hi-hat stands (DW and Tama), and they're just not as sturdy on two legs. It's a physics thing.

Try the Pearl Eliminator HH with the cams, its awesome for twin legs but has somewhat of an angle.
Are those DW heads really good? I have been trying to find them but they dont sell them at MF and I didnt know the brand until this post...Neil Pearts?
And I also find floor tom legs too short.

BTW, very nice set.

Back