How long have you been playing?

I've been playing five years now. I practice whenever I can. With being at Uni my drums are at home so I only get to play them when I go home which is about once every two weeks. Bring on summer! I go and play on the electric kits in my local drum shop once or twice a week though! XD

Last edited:
Well, I haven't played at ALL today, it's a bit too early in the morning.

OHHHHHH!!! You mean HOW LONG have I been playing.
Well, lessee . . . I'm 50 now, i started kinda LATE actually, at age 16, so . . .

34 years!!!!
Wow!! I've been playing 34 years now . . . that's a LONG damn time.

basement drummer here, just 2 years, playing along the LP collection in a completely different way and exploring..... with my starter kit with "Klanky" cymbals.

Ive been playing drum set for about 4 years but I was in band at school for about two years before that. I usually practice about a half hour a day at home, plus band class at school which is an hour long.

I've been playing drums since I was 14, in the summer of 1997 (so..a little less than 12 years). Unfortunately, I'm not able to get in much solo practice becuase of my roommates. Most of my playing is done with my band every Monday, Thursday, and Sunday. I'm fortunate to have 2 kits- one for the band and one for my house- so when the opportunity to play presents itself (i.e. there's no one else in the house) I have a quick stretch, play some double strokes and paradiddles on the Real Feel, and go for it!!

Since 1966. But I have expanded and am enjoying playing other types of drums such as congas, djembe, bugarabu, tar, bendir, muzar, and percussion (shekere, krin, etc.).

GJS

Thirty years now...the practice session is broken down to about 1 1/2 hrs. since I don't have the time I had available 20 years ago. If I think in advance what I need to work on, then the practice time is more productive than sitting down and goofing around for four hours.

Only since summer 2007, pretty much my join date. I Got a guitar amp but then i decided i didn't like it and i sold it and got 2 DW cymbal stands, hihat stand, DW5002 pedal and a Gibraltair snare stand with the money. I spent the next 4 or 5 months with no actual kit, i got a snare and my mate gave me a ride cymbal then finally at christmas that year i bought some SC performers and really i've been playing since then.

I'm not practicing with a band atm but i'm teaching my mate the bass and might get me old mate who plays the guitar in on it too see what happens.

Last edited:
50 rich years, practice every day, try to learn something new every week, play on the weekends (fri& sat) Jazz trio

Since Nov. of '07...I practice around 2 hrs. every night and take 1 or 2 days off per month. I play 3+ hrs. every week w/ a band and am looking into doing a second project every week as well.

Since Nov. of '07...I practice around 2 hrs. every night and take 1 or 2 days off per month. I play 3+ hrs. every week w/ a band and am looking into doing a second project every week as well.

wow i can't believe you've been playing the same amount of time as me! Is that a typo or something.

I have been taking lessons since Sept 08, got a kit a week prior to that...I spend more time on the pad right now than I do the kit working on my exercises. My practice time is really dictated by my family and job what I have available to me.

I've been playing for 30 years and practice at least an hour a day.

Well, I haven't played at ALL today, it's a bit too early in the morning.

OHHHHHH!!! You mean HOW LONG have I been playing.
Well, lessee . . . I'm 50 now, i started kinda LATE actually, at age 16, so . . .

34 years!!!!
Wow!! I've been playing 34 years now . . . that's a LONG damn time.

Officially from age 14, that's when I got my first kit and started taking lessons (although my mom says I was pulling the pots and pans out of the cabinet, arranging them by pitch, and beating on them with wooden spoons, as early as age 2! I don't remember that). I'm 48 now, so....34 years for me too!

Ed you should come out with us in Bev when you reach 18, I'm always around and about! That reminds me my band is playing in Cottingham (the Music festival thing) on the 30th May so come along! ;)

Anyway I 'started' when I was 13, the time when I began to bang on my mum and dads couch playing along to some tunes! I'm 19 now, (20 this friday!) so it's going on 7 years!

I try and practice everyday after work for a couple of hours, breaking it down some nights concentrating on just the hands and then feet.

Bring on summer! I go and play on the electric kits in my local drum shop once or twice a week though! XD
Which music shop is that? Since my brother lives in Manchester teaching guitar I'm around quite a bit and have popped in a few shops to have a go on the kits! I remember when they had Soundcontrol, but unfortuantely that's gone under last year...

Me? I'm 17 mate. Nearly 18 though. Nearly. Also nov 2007 would make it 1.5 years wunnit? It's just that you do have rather a lot of drums if you don't mind me saying. But hey i suppose it's your money right?

Whoops! I bought my first kit in late '06, not '07. It *was* a typo. I'm having one of those days where I can't dislodge my head from my rectal cavity.

Me? I don't have a lot of drums...one kit, two snares. I have HAD quite a few, though. ;)

I wish I had started at your age (or earlier). Keep it up!

I've been playing snare for about five years and full set for about three. I generally only practice like right after school and during band class and this is usually only about 20-60 minutes. I hope to practice alot more over the summer because now all I practice are drum covers and thats not helping me much with my rudiments or bass foot control.

Back