Yet Another Sensitone Query

HipshotPercussion

Got an unexpected check in the mail the other day and decided to spend it on something I don't need. So off I went to eBay to check out Sensitone snares. I've been hearing and reading about their high quality and low price for years but never owned or played one.

What I see on eBay seem to be 3 different "Sensitone" snares.

The ones whose badges say "Custom Alloy Sensitone (followed by the material, steel, aluminum brass, etc.) Made in China."

The whose badges say "Custom Alloy Sensitone Elite" without a country of origin.

The ones whose badges say, "Custom Alloy Sensitone Steel Made in China" and are called "Pearl Vision Sensitone" in the sales copy.

This is in addition to the "Vintage Sensitone" snares and the one with the cool badge that says "Long Island Drum Center 30th Anniversary Made in Taiwan Limited Edition Sensitone."

Sold as New prices for these models vary from $80 to $300. Since the check I'm indulging myself with was pretty small, my limit if I decide to go with my whim is $200. Can anyone explain the difference between these "Sensitones" and clue me in on what I should be looking for?

Thanks.

The Vision Senitones are 8 lugs, come with the Vision kits. Stay away from that. The 10 lug Sensitones with the Superhoops are the ones you should be looking at. The only diffference is the ones that say "Sensitone Elite" are the newer models. The brass elites are black on brass while the older ones are gold on brass.

Old thread ressurected! (Thought i'd better not make a new one when one exists already)

So is there a difference in quality between the old version brass Sensitone and the newer Elite brass Sensitone?

Old thread ressurected! (Thought i'd better not make a new one when one exists already)

So is there a difference in quality between the old version brass Sensitone and the newer Elite brass Sensitone?

If you're referring to the new 2014 models, I believe the beaded brass shells are the same but they've changed the lugs, throw-offs and butt plates. I just scored a "new" 5 x 14 version of the "old" model (hope that makes sense) for $200 bucks and I'm digging it. The 2014 version of that drum is going for $449.

I don't think the new series says 'Elite' anymore - just 'Sensitone'.

That'll probably cause more confusion in years to come.

I've had both the old Sensitones as well as the newer "Elites" in 5", 5.5" and 6.5" depths. I haven't seen or heard any difference in sound or quality between the pre-Elites and the Elites. Both lines are great! At their price point they're impossible to beat. No pun intended8^). I haven't had a chance to play one of the newest ones but they are interesting. I can highly recommend the earlier Sensitones. Stay away from the Vision or 8 lug 'Sensitones". I don't know what Pearl was thinking when they split up the Sensitone line but it was a boneheaded play. If you're looking at steel Sensitones there are a lot of good ones out there. You can find lots of steel Sensitones out on eBay at bargain prices. Taye also makes an excellent stainless steel snare that you can find in the mid-$200 rrange. The 5" Sensitone Elite brass snares are really versatile and the build and hardware quality are top notch. I've never had any trouble with a Pearl SR-17 snare strainer but there is a premium brand out there who insists on putting junk hardware on their snares. Good luck with it.

Back