Jazz music/drummer recommendations

\m/

Hey all,

I am a rock fan just starting to get into jazz music and drumming. Could some jazz players recommend some good jazz music to start listening to? (Artists, groups, bands, albums, songs, whatever!) Any recommendations of good jazz drummers to listen to would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Yeah, the other guy named some of the best, but check out Billy Martin from Medeski, Martin, and Wood, specifically the songs The Saint(which you can download from this website), Shine It, Latin Shuffle, Bubblehouse, Uninvisible,..there are so many. Also, for more modern drummers check out Brian Blade, he plays with Joshua Redman, get his stuff from this website also

I'd highly suggest you start at the beginning (or where it started for me... at bebop).

Check out the playing of Max Roach, Art Blakey, and Philly Jo Jones. Jimmy Cobb is also a great starting point.

There's a seminal album by Art called Moanin'. Philly Jo did a bunch of albums with Miles Davis, there's a 'series' called Cookin', Steamin', Relaxin' (all with the Miles Davis Quintet).

Jimmy Cobb did the album Kind of Blue with Miles.

I suggest you get a head start and start learning brushes now, rather than when you get a brush gig, lol.

CHET BAKER is the MAN for this.

Last edited:
Look up the vidz & sound samples of the DRUMMERWORLD jazz drummers. There are hundreds of them.

If they are here, they are good and worth listening to. All of them.

hi there,
i'm not sure how far back you'd like to start but when i sort of got into jazz more i got my hands on these records:

Miles Davis: Cookin', Workin', Steamin', Relaxin',Kind of Blue & Milestones.

Ofcourse jazz is so vast there are an endless amount of choices that will serve you well.

what i listed are albums that were recommended to me from the house drummer on a tv show in the city i'm from whose also a great jazz drummer.

To me miles was a good place to start because of how much he has done for music and the influence he's had. listening to him got me started to then check out guys like coltrane, oscar peterson, wayne shorter ect.

Back