S****y albums done by great bands..

I mentioned chinese democracy because Axl used the name of a great band ... there is no way whatever that band was should have been called GnR... Velvet Revolver could be called GnR before that nonsense should have been

So true!

... I totally disagree about the Hagar years.
I actually don't think all those albums suck ... I did like 5150 when it came out.... its just that the balls to the wall rock band that I loved turned into a love song machine that was a little too synth heavy for my liking.

I think Hagar helped them find some depth and meaning to the music and got VH out of being strictly a party-rock band.

Although I find it ironic the Hagar post VH solo material is pretty much just about making party music. lol

Van Halen was my favorite band when I was younger during the Roth years. I didn't hate the Hagar version, but it changed completely. I think a lot of great bands come up with a unique sound because of creative tension between members. Van Halen certainly qualifies. The revolutionary, clasically-influenced guitar virtuoso paired with a swaggering Lothario who brought doo-wop vocals and an Al Jolson influence. Hagar could sing like crazy, but the dynamic was completely different.

Coda by Zeppelin didn't do much for me.
Coda was an album of outtakes...sort of a "cleaning the shelves" type album.

Defenders Of The Faith - Judas Priest
Flick Of the Switch - AC/DC
The Battle Rages On - Deep Purple
Hot Spaces - Queen
Rocksteady-Big Head Todd and the Monsters
August - Eric Clapton
Anything after Street Survivors - Lynyrd Skynyrd

I have a similar feeling about the White Album ... it probably could have been one really good album and not a double album

and I to absolutely love the Beatles with all my heart ......

who the hell am I really though to say ANY of this

:)
I agree with you. As does George Martin. As a huge Beatlemaniac I think the white album could have been a great single album. I like most of the songs but some seem like throwaways, as if everyone's stuff all had to be thrown in with no say to appease them all. Wild Honey Pie, Bungalow Bill, I'm So Tired.. good stuff but not enough to make a strong album. You can almost hear and feel the breakup coming. Ringo even quit during it! 'Nuff said.

I'll also add every other album from Live.
Mental Jewelry? Eh.. good but not there yet.
Throwing Copper? a classic followed up by..
Secret Sadmahi. Too weird and unfocused. The next one..
Distance to here was great with great drum sounds by Chad Gracey. Love that one!
But V? eh..
followed by Birds of Prey. great comeback.
Last album by them I didn't even buy. They faded fast. Became big in Japan. Jeez..
See? Every other album.

and ZooRopa by U2. I think that and Pop are regard as flops. Didn't like that change to dance-y stuff.

Metallica - St. Anger, Load & Reload (No comment needed)
Avenged Sevenfold - Hail to the King (Disgusting vanilla drum beats/grooves)
Zac Brown Band - Uncaged (terrible after the first two albums)
Parkway Drive - Deep Blue (terrible mixing)
Bullet for my Valentine - Temper Temper (copy and paste solos)

mikyok said:
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death (I had to stand through that crap in it's entirety when they did the tour) and The Final Insult/Straw sorry Frontier.

Gotta disagree majorly with both of those. A Matter of Life and Death is among my top three or four Maiden albums. Other than the opening track "Different World", I rarely skip a song from that album if it pops up on shuffle.

RockNGrohl said:
I'll also add every other album from Live.
Mental Jewelry? Eh.. good but not there yet.
Throwing Copper? a classic followed up by..
Secret Sadmahi. Too weird and unfocused. The next one..
Distance to here was great with great drum sounds by Chad Gracey. Love that one!
But V? eh..
followed by Birds of Prey. great comeback.
Last album by them I didn't even buy. They faded fast. Became big in Japan. Jeez..
See? Every other album.

While I agree Mental Jewelry is a hit or miss album, I must disagree terribly about Secret Samadhi. Their new album "The Turn" absolutely rules. The new singer Chris Shinn has reinvigorated them entirely. It was my second favorite album from last year after Foo Fighters' "Sonic Highways", and my favorite Live album since Secret Samadhi.

I found it incredibly easy to jump on the St. Anger-bashing bandwagon early when I first discovered Metallica. Load and ReLoad I immediately discovered were much better than most people give them credit for, but St. Anger I only got around to liking after watching the Some Kind of Monster documentary last summer and re-listening to the album. Overall it's a repetitive album, but I don't mind it really. Frantic, St. Anger, and Some Kind of Monster are all great tracks to listen to while exercising whether it's hockey warmups or riding my bike. The rest of the tracks are just kind of insignificant. I won't trash the Lars snare sound because I actually think it's kind of cool, but I do have an issue with how he seems to repeat the same three or four drum patterns throughout the whole album.

Other than that, I wasn't impressed at all by Megadeth's Super Collider from 2013, especially after the string of three killer Megadeth albums that preceded it.

Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown had potential but it's overall vibe was brought down significantly by some of it's poppier songs.

Papa Roach's cookie-cutter modern rock disaster that was The Connection was a shame, especially considering how the previous album Metamorphosis had such a cool "Mötley Crüe meets Foo Fighters" vibe.

And Stone Temple Pilots' cash-grab self titled album is pretty much irredeemable. Considering the replacement the band picked for Scott Weiland after that album, I assume that Scott wasn't responsible for the album's weaknesses.

I'll pick on some of my all time favorite bands, as the ones I don't like are far too easy targets:

Rush - Vapor Trails: Short of a couple tracks, this album seems like a mess to me and sounds as if it were recorded in a broom closet. Thankfully they rebounded with the incredible Snakes and Arrows.

Yes - Everything after Magnification, well, including Magnification short of a few tracks. Rather than adopt the snobbish I hate Trevor, I hate White, I hate non- Wakeman, etc., I love most iterations of this band, and the corresponding musical shifts that matched the personnel changes. I even liked Drama. I draw the line on the recent post Anderson stuff though. The age of the tribute band singers. Yuck.

U2 - Pop: Some say blazing new ground. I say garbage. Fortunately they rebounded and left this phase.

The Who - Endless Wire: I'll preface this by saying that Townshend is (was?) a musical genius and my favorite songwriter ever. We waited all those years for this? Sure writers and composers evolve over time but I feel that for Pete's songwriting, it's after the fire and the fire is no longer burning.

Pink Floyd - Anything from the Sid era. Interestingly, I find the Division Bell, post Waters of course, their finest work (or should I say David's finest?)

Styx - Edge of the Century: Bad pop for the most part. Listened to it so infrequently,however, that my memory is fuzzy. Just remember it was horrible. Fortunately they've transitioned their act to a predominantly performance-based powerhouse that pays tribute to the band's legacy. Superior musicianship these days.

Rush - Vapor Trails: Short of a couple tracks, this album seems like a mess to me and sounds as if it were recorded in a broom closet. Thankfully they rebounded with the incredible Snakes and Arrows.

Gotta go with the remixed version. Much better.

Everything by Avantasia post Metal Opera pt 2. It went from a cool "guess who sings this one" collaboration like thing (although Tobias Sammet was the cental pillar of the albums) to a kind of watered down Edguy 2.

I'd agree this isn't really a GnR Album. It certainly wasn't made by a great BAND.

I know I'm in the minority, but I think they got better with Hagar, and I think "Balance" is their master piece.

---------

Caress of Steel - Rush. An experiment gone wrong. Even the band themselves hasn't played a cut off it in over 30 years (save a small section in their anniversary melody). Yet it set up their next album which became a masterpiece.

Presto - Rush. Two good songs on there, but the rest of the album is just a WTF moment. The production is too slick and thin sounding, and most of the songs sound like they were ran out of ideas, but put out an album anyway. Rolls the Bones really wasn't much better, but then they redeemed themselves with Counterparts.

St Anger - Metallica. I want my money back!

Hear in the Now Frontier - Queensryche - Most fans pan anything post-Degarmo from Queensryche, and with good reason. But this album is why Degarmo left. It was his baby and his attempt to change the band, and it was just horrible, and set up Degarmo's exit from the band and long slew of poor follow ups from which they never recovered.

There are many others, but as Anon La Ply, most of them are a case of the band just having hard time keeping the magic going.

I'm not sure how many really poor albums were made by a band that are bookended by great albums.

Ha....Presto is one of my favorite Rush albums. I really started to get into them when it came out. But yeah, I've heard similar criticism of that era.
And i really liked both those NITRO albums, lol!

8Mile" said:
Van Halen was my favorite band when I was younger during the Roth years. I didn't hate the Hagar version, but it changed completely. I think a lot of great bands come up with a unique sound because of creative tension between members. Van Halen certainly qualifies. The revolutionary, clasically-influenced guitar virtuoso paired with a swaggering Lothario who brought doo-wop vocals and an Al Jolson influence. Hagar could sing like crazy, but the dynamic was completely different.

True and well said, 8. It brings is back to what a few have been saying about The Beatles's weakest albums:

I agree with you. As does George Martin. As a huge Beatlemaniac I think the white album could have been a great single album. I like most of the songs but some seem like throwaways, as if everyone's stuff all had to be thrown in with no say to appease them all. Wild Honey Pie, Bungalow Bill, I'm So Tired.. good stuff but not enough to make a strong album.

The Beatles grew apart and the creative tensions were so great they couldn't plough through it and stopped collaborating.

For instance, Martha My Dear had some amazing musical ideas (not surprising for Paul). But without John's perspective the tweeness of the vocal detracted. At least if John helped out with the lyrics then Martha might hace spiced things up by eating one of Paul's trips and trying to gnaw off the postman's leg before tuning into a turquoise avocado :)

And i really liked both those NITRO albums, lol!

Honestly I only have the first one. I'm just assuming the second is equally ridiculous. You know, with someone yanking on Gillette's nuts the whole time.

Every time I start getting into a song, then WAAAAAAAaAAaaaAAAaAAAaAaaAa!!!!!!!!!! and I just can't take it seriously. I guess I still like it somehow.

I also have Presto on cassette and I give it a listen every once in a while.

I cant decide if any of these bands are great but I kinda gave up on them when I listened to the following albums:

Red hot chilli peppers - californication (what a pile of crap)
Metallica - s & m (recycling music seemed "uncreative" to my 15 yr old self)
Incubus - morning view (it wasn't great to me like science and make yourself were).
Opeth - ghost reveries (seemed slapped together, lost their soul)

And sevendusts new stuff.. Just not for me anymore, I'm probably the one who's changed.

I mentioned chinese democracy because Axl used the name of a great band ... there is no way whatever that band was should have been called GnR... Velvet Revolver could be called GnR before that nonsense should have been

... I totally disagree about the Hagar years.
I actually don't think all those albums suck ... I did like 5150 when it came out.... its just that the balls to the wall rock band that I loved turned into a love song machine that was a little too synth heavy for my liking.

Anything after Eddie took up the synths was hard to listen to for me.

Van Halen - anything after Dave.

I agree, any post David Lee Roth as lost the chemistry which made VH special, not that Sammy Hagar is a bad singer (I loved his Montrose years and more recently Chikenfoot) but the vibe was completely different when DLR left.

Same things happened for me when David Byron left Uriah Heep, or when Ronnie James Dio left Rainbow, or when Ozzy Osbourne left Black Sabbath...

... in some bands the chemistry of a particular line up is crucial to the success of the band, the Who's a perfect example, there's no other Moonie out there, or Led Zep without Bonzo.

No one can be at the top of their game all the time, eh?

Certainly not, it's a tough act to be the top all the time and some of these iconic bands or artists should have called it a day when they had nothing more to say... having said that they have to make a living and honour their contracts

Deep Purple should have left it where it was, to reform the band in 1985 was a big mistake IMO, back then I was excited until I bought the record, even their live performance of their earlier songs have lost that special feeling/vibe, hugely disappointing.

Yes there's many albums which disappoint big time, they only sold because of the name of the band/artist: Bowie, Alice Cooper, Rainbow, Whitesnake, Rush, Bob Dylan, Asia, Bruce Springsteen, Madonna, Nazareth, Robbie Williams... there's so many more, however, it's a very subjective topic/discussion, for some people out there, the Sammy Hagar's years in Van Halen are the best albums ever recorded by the band, I like apples, you like oranges.

Conquest- Uriah Heep-- Jon Sloman on vocals...the only song i like is "fools"...his singing is kind of unpredictable the whole way through like Moonie's drumming...

Oasis - Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants & Heathen Chemistry & any other rubbish they did post Be Here Now.

Radiohead - Kid A. Such a smack in the teeth after OK Computer which is one of the greatest albums written in the 90's

Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity and Systematic Chaos. FII was hardly their fault though, so glad they bounced back with the biggest two fingers to the music industry ever in Scenes From A Memory.

Green Day - Nimrod

Slipknot - Subliminal Verses. Watered down mix, Duality in particular sounded a right mess.

Blink 182 - Take Off Your Pants and Jacket

RHCP - By The Way and anything after that. Blood Sugar Sex Magik - one of my top 5 albums, to think they stooped so low is disappointing and upsetting as far as music goes. All that creativity and groove just vanished in favour of diluted palatable garbage.

Back