"Oh no - Not another new bearing edge!"

Re: Oh no! Not another new bearing edge :(

That is the worlds longest note from a 10 inch tom. It was easily 5 to 6 seconds long. From a 10 inch tom? That's insane!

This is gargantuan.

OK I'm imagining a set of walnut solid shells with this edge.

I really think I'd be in warmth heaven.

If you did this to a 16" tom, the note would be like a minute long lol!

I bow in solemness to your paradigm shattering ideas.

And you're giving it away.

Un. Frickin. Believable.

Long live the Guru Tympanic Edge.

Nice work! Certainly made that little tom sing. Woulda been good to have heard the same tom, head etc with the original bearing edge for comparison.

That is the worlds longest note from a 10 inch tom. It was easily 5 to 6 seconds long. From a 10 inch tom? That's insane!

This is gargantuan.

OK I'm imagining a set of walnut solid shells with this edge.

I really think I'd be in warmth heaven.

If you did this to a 16" tom, the note would be like a minute long lol!

I bow in solemness to your paradigm shattering ideas.

And you're giving it away.

Un. Frickin. Believable.

Long live the Guru Tympanic Edge.

Strip your GURU'S Larry, send em back England to get recut.

Andy you should've dressed up like James Bond for that vid, that would've been cool.

Can we theorize the section of the edge where the head looses contact is a source of head overtones?

Attachments

• Guru.png
    Guru.png
    272.7 KB · Views: 635

I'm chuffed to bits. I'm freaking out here. I'm actually breathing into a paper bag because I'm hyperventilating. Build me a set of walnut steambents with this edge right away young man!

I feel like a heroin addict who just stumbled on a mountain of smack!

Strip your GURU'S Larry, send em back England to get recut.

Andy you should've dressed up like James Bond for that vid, that would've been cool.

I actually thought that very thing Les. It would be too problematic. No, my next set will for sure be walnut drums with this edge. I got bit by the walnut tone and it's finally starting to fester. The only known cure for walnutitis are walnut drums.

I like how he used a drumstick as a pointer.

Great vid Andy, I really liked how you came across.

Its the Brit accent that sold me. Presentations always seem more valid when a Brit is doing the selling :)
I own 7 Dyson vacuum cleaners and I have a maid service clean for me!
Cool idea Andy.

I actually thought that very thing Les. It would be too problematic.
\

You mean Andy dressing up as 007? Yeah, a bit too cheeky I guess.

DW- Scientology

GURU- MI6

That's really quite remarkable, and i would not have believed it if I hadn't heard it with my own ears.

There's only one problem - now Evans will have to develop a new G3 head to take away all that extra resonance! :)

GeeDeeEmm

You mean Andy dressing up as 007? Yeah, a bit too cheeky I guess.

DW- Scientology

GURU- MI6

Rather Q Branch, I think, chaps. :-D

Andy, you are my flippin' hero. After our conversation in the DW Scientology thread, you do this.

There is no praise in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of men for this awesome.

I find this fantastic but can see people now, not real drummers, slapping on the moon gel to shorten the resonance. Guaranteed. Nice work Andy. Would you tell us what the heads were on that tom, and I also think what should be patented is the super graphic display system.

Last edited:

I find this fantastic but can see people now, not real drummer, slapping on the moon gel to shorten the resonance. Guaranteed. Nice work Andy

Which begs the question: What is the GURU approved method of head dampening should Mr and Ms Sound is Subjective consumer wish to quell such a long note?

I don't think GURU offers internal tone control's as an option.

Re: Oh No, Not another Bearing Edge.

I think with the amount of planning, work and design that goes into the Guru drums that people leave them alone and let them sing. One mans opinion.

That is the worlds longest note from a 10 inch tom.
Pretty much Larry, & absolutely no cheating whatsoever. Audio is via two Rode NT5's positioned to capture room sound. Same mic's picking up my speech & the drum.

Woulda been good to have heard the same tom, head etc with the original bearing edge for comparison.
if I had more of the same shells, I would have done that, but I think the result is so beyond normal performance, it pretty much stands alone.

Can we theorize the section of the edge where the head looses contact is a source of head overtones?
That may certainly be a contributory factor, although in my experience, crappy design & poor tuning are the usual culprits.

I like how he used a drumstick as a pointer.
That, & my high tech graphic presentation device is the exact opposite of the huge marketing budgets placed into far lesser (IMHO) inventions ;)

Its the Brit accent that sold me.
If only it were that simple Bob :(

That's really quite remarkable, and i would not have believed it if I hadn't heard it with my own ears.
Again - absolute transparency in presentation :)

Rather Q Branch, I think, chaps. :-D
Yup, I'll go with Q branch. I'm not even good looking enough to nail Money-penny, & have an aversion to being shot.

I find this fantastic but can see people now, not real drummer, slapping on the moon gel to shorten the resonance. Guaranteed. Nice work Andy
This is true grunt, & you've hit upon a really important fact I left out of the presentation (deliberately). The development, in itself, offers impressive results, but like every other design element, it's how you use it, & when.

We will not be releasing drums with these edges for both batter & resonant side anytime soon. You can have too much of a good thing, but having options is a wonderful place to be. To date, I've found the most impressive & useable results from applying our usual batter edge with the timpanic edge on the resonant side of toms. I could go into detail as to exactly why, & what that achieves, but I'd have to shoot all of you ;)

I think with the amount of planning, work and design that goes into the Guru drums that people leave them alone and let them sing. One mans opinion.

Idealistically ...but not forever, and certainly not in every playing situation.

The 30 second note is not going to work for every musical situation and I'd want my $10K GURU set to be in every situation.

The next step? Adjustable bearing edge profiles, drum key operated of course.

Also it must be noted that you struck the drum with your fingy.

Had that hit been a sharp strike from a drumstick.....it could open up an Einstein-Rosen bridge, or wormhole to the layman.

I could see where too much sustain would get in the way. But man! I love a looooong note. A 3 second sustain would do it for me. 6 is probably way too long. Most drums have only 1 full second of real fundamental tone, too short IMO.

I. Want. This. Edge.

Great work. Good job.

I imagine that this edge will ultimately become useful in pro-grade hybrid setups (one GT edge, one legacy edge) as well as getting a bit more out of inexpensive Ludwig-Accent style poplar kits. I assume you've already tried a mixed edge setup.. What were the results?

The cut looks like a 3 stage (2 outer and one inner). Have you machined a custom router bit that allows you to cut the outer edge with a single pass yet?

I wonder if the tech lends itself to acrylic kits.

The 30 second note is not going to work for every musical situation and I'd want my $10K GURU set to be in every situation.

I could see where too much sustain would get in the way.
Absolutely guys, hence my answer to Grunt earlier. This edge gives us choices - choices not readily available until now. I used a drum with both batter & resonant edges using the new form. Additionally, I tuned both heads to the same pitch for maximum head sustain. Heads are G1 coated over G1 clear. This was set up to show maximum effect. In the real world, you need a far greater set of available choices, & that means us using this edge form as an integrated part of an overall design, usually in combination with other edge forms, & certainly using tuning as the primary control. IMHO, dampening is not necessary except in circumstances of extreme examination. In almost all cases, with a well designed instrument, tuning can get you where you need to go. I can easily tune that drum, fitted with those edges & heads, to offer a full sounding 1 second long note.

Super duper !

I'm with Larry on this. Gimme' the sustain.
Heck, I can figure out ways to shorten the sustain if I choose to.

It will be interesting to hear what this new edge might do to snare drums...... !!!

I just imagined a full drum set using regular bearing edges. And also having a set of three or four toms with this special bearing edge.

And you use these special toms only for solo work. I'm thinking very "musical" solo work.

It would be awesome !!

Back