Guru snare competition results!

Andy

Honorary Member
Announced here first.

A huge thank you to all who entered this year's competition. An eclectic mix of superb quality entries made the judging process both pleasurable & difficult at the same time!

Each category winner gets an Evans snare makeover kit of G1 coated / Hazy 300 / Puresound Blaster wires. The category winners are:

Category 1 - Players with less than 3 years playing experience, or any player under 14 years of age.

Winner = Magenta Reinhardt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcCFzqygEJs

Category 2 - Enthusiastic amateurs of any age & experience.

Winner = Mathew Sugden https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPRkvTsTr0Y

Category 3 - Semi professionals. Players at an advanced level who earn at least a portion of their income from playing drums.

Winners = Ilkka Oksanen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7pIjPmkiLI
Istvan Szegeny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J71Kbi3zUTc

Category 4 - Professional. Full time players exclusively earning a living from playing drums.

Winner = Daniel Grendas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJocllmPjjo

The category winners have been chosen by Yolanda according to her interpretation of the brief, & those that produced elements that Yolanda felt offered something extra within the context of the song.

The overall winner has been selected on the basis of fulfilling the brief, in the context of their skill / experience category. On this basis, the winner of each category stood a fair & equal chance of winning.

The overall winner is ----------- Ilkka Oksanen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7pIjPmkiLI

Ilkka will receive this superb 13" x 7" Tour series sold zebrano snare & Protection racket AAA rigid case. Congratulations Ilkka!!!!!

Attachments

• 14%22 x 7%22 crop1 800.jpg
    14%22 x 7%22 crop1 800.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 909
Last edited by a moderator:
How a best dressed category? Magenta would take first for that delightful sequin dress that she is ever so pulling off. Anyone else notice the dog walking around the back yard at 00:22?

Runner up is the Ilkka for that great Breaking Bad tee.

Congrats to everyone.

We can see all the effort this took, good job all!!!

And great idea using the 'same song' format Andy, makes it easy to hear the attributes.

Super ! Congratulations to Ilkka.

Thank you Andy for the opportunity to join the fun!

Congratulations to all the winners. Awesome performances.

Thank you for your kind comments guys, & thanks again to all those who entered. Each & every one of you contributed to the rich tapestry of interpretations on display, & I hope you all took something positive away from the experience.

Here's what Yolanda had to say earlier :)

Attachments

• Yolanda competition comment.jpg
    Yolanda competition comment.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 764
Many congrats to all entrants, category winners and overall winner alike. Some great efforts from all.

Thanks also to Guru for organising the competition.

How a best dressed category? Magenta would take first for that delightful sequin dress that she is ever so pulling off. Anyone else notice the dog walking around the back yard at 00:22?

Aww thank you, chicken! (It's a cat, btw.)

The honourable part of me is glad I didn't win the snare, as it really wouldn't have been right if I had, but the dishonourable part of me wouldn't have given a stuff about whether it was right or wrong - but I really am chuffed to bits to have been given not just an opportunity but one hell of an incentive to have a go.

Many congratulations to everybody who entered, especially the winners and the overall winner, of course. It's been an enlightenment and an education to see how others have interpreted the same piece of music.

A huge Thank You to Guru Drums, Yolanda and Evans for making this competition possible. It took effort to organise and to judge, and it was only right that it should have taken effort to enter too, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who got out even more than they put in.

Most of all, though, if there exists an award for Services to Drumming, it should go to Andy. Mwah!

Very well done to all the winners. Great jobs done judging by the clips posted. I really must try to enter next year if you do it again!

Thank you for the kind words again guys :)

I'd really like to give a prize to everyone that entered. There were certainly entries that deserved recognition that did not win anything, but I can only do so much. Overall, I'm happy that the right decision was taken.

Nice competition everyone. Madge, you looked gorgeous.

I wonder what Yolanda got for all her troubles.

She really is a friend to the Guru family.

I hope she is taken care of in some fashion.

Yolanda is indeed very accommodating where Guru is concerned. We were first introduced through Michele Drees. Put simply, I think Yolanda enjoys working with us. Whenever there's a session, she's treated with absolute respect, & she has a really fun time. Professionalism mixed with a relaxed & accepting approach to creating something. We step up to the plate in terms of promoting Yolanda's projects as best we can, & she reciprocates in kind. It can be something as simple as providing drums for a jam night, or whatever is called for. At the last session, we put her up in a beautiful old castle, just as a thank you for taking time out to help us.

Yolanda operates at her own level. She's revered by the bass playing community, & one of the most respected session bassists out there. She sure as hell doesn't need us, so we're grateful for whatever assistance she can provide. Above all else, just like Michele & all the other players we associate with, she's just a lovely person. It's an honour to call her a friend, & a huge pleasure every time I meet her.

All that said, I do owe her a nice meal ;)

Madge, you looked gorgeous.

If you didn't notice all the bad things, then looks are indeed everything. That is THE most uncomfortable frock I've ever worn, and I wish I'd had a neck.

I don't know Yolanda, but I do know Guru Drums. They don't do things by halves ;)

I saw Bill Ray's entry, admittedly I didn't see the others but whoever beat him must be good.

Congrats to everyone.

I saw Bill Ray's entry, admittedly I didn't see the others but whoever beat him must be good.
Category winners & overall winner videos are in the first post of this thread :) There were a number of excellent submissions in the pro section, any one of which could have won the category, but in the end, it's down to what elements resonated with the judge. Thus is the nature of competitions judged subjectively.

It's worth remembering that entrants were judged within the context of their experience / ability, so it was perfectly possible for a beginner to win over a pro. The overall winner was entered into the semi pro category.

I had my favourite entries for all kinds of reasons, & so did others I talked to on the subject.

Back