Hello Ladies and Gents

Samaster

Hello All,

For quite some time now I have been looking for answers to random questions on this forum and it has yet to disappoint. However for some odd reason, it never occurred to me to actually become a member, until now.

Drumming is my passion and hopefully soon, my profession. I have and always will obsess over things that I am passionate about, as I am sure many people do. I have been playing since the age of 7, I am now 22 and am very far from where I would consider myself good (despite the efforts of my bands/friends trying to convince me otherwise).

I spent roughly 4 years being taught (on and off), the other years I spent just playing and watching YouTube videos.

Here is some Info:

Real name?
Sam Levell

Age?

How long have you been playing?
16 years

Origin of user name?
The first online name I ever created was for Xbox Live (when it first came out) and have used it ever since.
It is simply Sam and Master squashed together, being dyslexic… I thought that was very cleaver.

Your top 5 drummers?
Alex Rüdinger, Chris Adler, Mike Mangini, Mike Portnoy, Mike Johnston, Gavin Harrison, Thomas Lang, Kevin "Drummer" McGuill, Tomas Haake... this is 5 to a dyslexic.

Make of drumkit?
Pearl

Make of cymbal?
Meinl

Where do you practice?
Soundproof room my dad and I made.

Are you in a band?
Yes

Do you play covers or originals?
Mostly originals, but we have a bank of covers to throw out for fun.

What style of music?
Metal

Favourite takeout food?
PIZZA!

What country do you live in?
England

One really odd fact about yourself?
I am really odd, it would be easier to ask “One really normal fact about yourself?”

How did you start drumming?
My dad brought a drum kit and, being a slightly violent 7 year old boy, I couldn’t resist hitting it. He decided it was cheaper to buy me lessons rather than let me figure it out for myself.

So yeh, HELLO! :D

Last edited:
Hi, Sam, and welcome to the forum! You seem to have a pretty good grasp of how things work around here, so please dive right in.

I play a Pearl too (Mabel). She's only a Vision, but she's very, very dear to me. And she sounds fab, especially when somebody else plays her ;)

Hi Sam!

Hi, Sam, and welcome to the forum! You seem to have a pretty good grasp of how things work around here, so please dive right in.

Madge, he's been lurking for a while now. Only his post count implies his rookie nature. ;-)

Thanks Magenta,

I play a Pearl too (Mabel). She's only a Vision, but she's very, very dear to me. And she sounds fab, especially when somebody else plays her ;)

I'm exactly the same. I have a Pearl Reference, on the rare occation I get to bring her to a gig, she sounds lovely... when anyone else is playing! I think its mainly to do with being out in the crowd having her play through the PA. ;)

Madge, he's been lurking for a while now. Only his post count implies his rookie nature. ;-)

Well, it's jolly nice to "see" him after all this time!

Thanks Bo!

I only have one video of me playing anything online at the moment, I am working on a few YouTube vidios at the moment. One of which is a bits and bobs kinda thing that I would like you guys to rip apart and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

This video is a teaser drum tracking video for my band. No interesting playing at all, just a few clips of drum tracking. I will post a link to it in the correct place, one sec...

Here: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119815

Back