First drumkit I built, stave mahogany shells

ArcsDrums

NEW PICS DOWN THERE!

My dad has been making stave and segment drums for 2 years now and I thought I could have a go on my own.

Started with a piece of mahogany
Photo_0045.jpg

Made some circles
IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

Bearing edge on the 10" tom
IMG_0289.jpg

Waxed them
IMG_0563.JPG

Drilled
qwgkfdssd.jpg

Assembled
IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

And setup
IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

Spec
20x16" Bass drum
10x7.5" Tom
14x14" Floor tom (still haven't finished it)
16x16" Floor tom

And I also made a 13x5.4" snare shell, need some hardware for that.

I'm really proud, made this almost on my own, dad helped with some sawing. Its not perfect but now I know what I can do better so the next kit will be!

Last edited:
I have some mahogany which has aged as a bed for over 100 years, should make for an interesting kit just for the history.
As you know, I'm a big fan of the properties older wood brings to the party. Just a pity the same ageing benefits don't apply to me :)

Arcs, really nice work man, & huge kudos to you for completing your kit. Very very impressive mate!

Thanks!

The shells are 10 mm thick, I would have to add some reinforcements if I would go any thinner (specially on the bigger drums, 14"-20"), really want to try that sometime.

You should be very proud of your accomplishment. Those drums look great. Two thumbs way up. :) Those sure look like Rogers lugs.

Thanks

The lugs are yes Rogers lugs. This summer I found a Rogers kit for sale in pretty bad condition. So I got really excited and bought them of the guy for a low price. The it turned out to be a non USA Rogers kit, not much value in that. So I used the lugs and hoops.

Very nice. Those staves seem thinner than most I have seen. You have done a lot of sawing. By thinner I don't mean the 10mm, but the side measurement.

Just finished the kit today, six days before The Reykjavík drum show 2011, where this kit will be set up.

I'll take some better pics later, but here it is with the 14" floor tom.

gfrrrsf.JPG

Back