Yamaha Live Custom Oak - opinions?

Beautiful kit drummaman1. If I could have any kit, that is the kit I would get.

I can't believe more drums aren't made of oak, or that more people don't use them.

I never really checked into Ludwig Keystones, but when I did, I was a little surprised to read this:
"...Keystone's 5-ply combination of a Classic Maple three-ply core between inner and outer 1/16" plys of American Red Oak creates a thin, dense shell that speaks loudly with quick, even decay...."
http://www.ludwig-drums.com/usa_keystone.php

Passed by them because the sizes weren't right.

About the Live Customs - I'd like to have a set of them.

Really nice kit drummaman1! The church I play for has a black shadow sunburst kit... Very easy to tune and one of the better kicks I've ever played...

I've had a Live Custom kit for around 2 years now. It's the black wood finish, which is killer if you ask me. I have a 22/10/12/14/16 set, but usually use the 22/12/16 for gigs and rehearsals.

I've experimented with lots of different heads, but have landed on the Remo Vintage Emperors as the best for me (both coated and clear.)

I love them. They are KILLER drums, IMO. I originally bought them, because I wanted a set with a 14x22" bass drum and a bass drum mount. I couldn't be happier with them.

I also have a set of MIJ Club Customs in the same sizes (except the bass drum is 15" deep), also in black wood finish. The quality is the same on both. They sound totally different and I feel like I have the best of both worlds!

Here's Ben White rocking out on a set just like mine. I have several videos on YouTube as well, if you're interested. Just search for my name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo1_w4ZkyFI

I've had a Live Custom kit for around 2 years now. It's the black wood finish, which is killer if you ask me. I have a 22/10/12/14/16 set, but usually use the 22/12/16 for gigs and rehearsals.

I've experimented with lots of different heads, but have landed on the Remo Vintage Emperors as the best for me (both coated and clear.)

I love them. They are KILLER drums, IMO. I originally bought them, because I wanted a set with a 14x22" bass drum and a bass drum mount. I couldn't be happier with them.

I also have a set of MIJ Club Customs in the same sizes (except the bass drum is 15" deep), also in black wood finish. The quality is the same on both. They sound totally different and I feel like I have the best of both worlds!

Here's Ben White rocking out on a set just like mine. I have several videos on YouTube as well, if you're interested. Just search for my name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo1_w4ZkyFI

How do they sound compared to the club customs ?

How do they sound compared to the club customs ?

Here ya go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxkz4ZOx7Z0

:) I don't have identical heads on both kits in that video, but the tone differences are still the same. They both pretty much sound as advertised to me!

The Club Custom is indeed warmer and "rounder" sounding, whereas the Live Custom is louder and more modern/punchy. Owning both is awesome and I'm grateful I can do that!

Hi guys,

I'm new here, but would just like to say I have the Live Customs as well. I put on some coated G2's and a clear EMAD for the bass and I absolutely love the way they sound. I always wanted the Oak Customs, but never got around to it. I was somewhat skeptical about the whole move to China thing, but wow, did those thoughts disappear after I got them. The finish (amber sunburst), the hardware, everything is flawless. The quality is definitely there, and the sound, (to me anyway), is the slight warmth of maple, responsive, yet full toned.

I've owned my Live Custom set for probably 2 years now. My original alt rock band doesn't gig all that much, but I've probably played 40 gigs on this set in 2 years. I used them again last night and lots of folks were asking about them and commenting on just how killer they sound.

They really are great drums IMO. They sound powerful, clear, and deep. I still prefer the coated vintage emperors on the tom batters and a clear PS3 on the bass batter.

Great sounding and well built drums for sure. I had the gold badge Oak Custom kit and sold them to try out DW, two months later I sold the DW and picked up the Live Oak. Using the stock clear emps and and Aquarian SK1 on the bass. Drums sound great. Can't go wrong, price, quality, sound.

Attachments

• live custom.jpg
    live custom.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 3,019
Great sounding and well built drums for sure. I had the gold badge Oak Custom kit and sold them to try out DW, two months later I sold the DW and picked up the Live Oak. Using the stock clear emps and and Aquarian SK1 on the bass. Drums sound great. Can't go wrong, price, quality, sound.

Welcome home. I knew you'd be back , I just knew it!
So after all that…do you prefer Live Oaks or the original Oak Customs?

I have both at the moment , but I think I'll keep the Oak Customs and sell the Live Oaks - it has nothing to do with sound preference or build quality. I just prefer the configuration of my Oak Custom kit (10/13/14/18x14 with lift) - over my Live Oak (12/14/18x14).

Neal

.... I just prefer the configuration of my Oak Custom kit (10/13/14/18x14 with lift)....

Would you happen to have a picture of that kit you could post?
If you already did, I must have missed it.
Do you have the 10 and 13 up top?

Back