New Look Mapex Saturn

Herby

Not sure if this is a UK only thing, as I couldn't see it on the US site, but Mapex have just announced a new range of Saturn kits, Saturn 4.

And from first look, IMO, they look a bit cheap. I don't mean the quality of the drums (I own a Saturn and love it to pieces), I mean the new-look badge and finishes. I just think the new badge looks really tacky compared to the old ones. If I was thinking of getting a new kit, this new look would really put me off.

What do you guys think?Pic taken from the Mapex UK site...

http://mapex.co.uk/drums/saturn-iv/mh

snm529xf-ma.jpg

I like Mapex, and I love the Saturn series, but I think this kit, if an indication of where they're going in 2013, is a misstep. I really hope this is some one-off low budget "special edition" retailer-only kit because a lot of what I see doesn't really impress me.

I was never a fan of the old Saturn/Orion-style badge (yeah, I'll be that guy, so what) but the new Mapex badge doesn't do it for me either.

I really liked the old bass drum claws. These seen here are super generic. I'm also not really in love yet with the new shield-style lugs, but they will probably grow on me in time.

Other than that, though, I like the new tom tom suspension mount.

Shhh, I think sticks can hear you. ;)

The badge has a more 'modern' look, a bit cartoonish maybe, but if I was going to buy any drum kit a badge design probably wouldn't scare me off unless it covered half of the drum.

Just looks like they're trying to modernize things in general.

I really like the new lugs, they have a lot of character. but I don't like that the floor tom legs are atached directly to the shell, they used to have some kind of rim that it was pretty cool, the same happens with the the bass drum spurs

Last edited:
I really like the new lugs, they have a lot of character. but I don't like that the floor tom legs are atached directly to the shell, they used to have some kind of rim that it was pretty cool, the same happenas the the bass drum spurs

I missed on first glance that the floor tom legs and bass spurs were no longer suspended off the shell. Another disappointing move to me.

I'm all for "freshening up" the Saturn series, but I would have much rather seen it keep the features that helped it stand apart from other pro level drumsets. Considering the Orion series is no more and the Black Panther kits are limited editions that leaves Saturn as the Mapex flagship. Now is not the time to dumb them down.

I like the new logo, it reminds me of Zoidberg from futurama somehow, I wouldn't call it classy though.

I bet it's a cheaper spin off, mapex wouldn't ditch the existing Saturn mounts like that.

Sadly this is why Mapex will never attain the status their sound deserves; it's hard to believe that such a tacky design can sound so good. You don't build a credible musical instrument brand based on what looks cool to newbie 11 year-old drummers...

...other than that I don't feel strongly about it ; )

To be fair, the example photo is probably the worst finish available.
Having visited the site and looked at the saturn IV kits with other finishes, the logo doesn't sit too badly on some of them. The old Mapex logo was hardly groundbreaking eh?
There's bound to be many more finishes to follow, combo's of finish and chrome or dark hardware are already available.
come on, who doesn't want a Black Zoidberg - endorsed by Mapex on their drum shells!!

Ultimately it'll come down to sound and build quality. There will be plenty of lovers and haters of the finishes and final touches.

anyway, I also found this. A bit more info about the new range...

Mapex Drum Company Announces the NEW Saturn IV Series Drum Kits for 2013
The Mapex Drum Company is revolutionizing their flagship Saturn line by introducing the Saturn IV series of drum kits. Together with respected artists around the globe, the Mapex team has created the next evolution of the Saturn line, featuring a host of upgrades including: SONIClear™ tom suspension, SONIClear™ floor tom legs, low-contact bass drum claws, Memory Mark™ bass drum spurs, new style-badge and lug casing , free-floating bass drum mount (optional), and some really striking new finishes. While holding true to the Maple/Walnut hybrid shell formula that's made Saturn a unique and respected pro-level kit, the new look and features mark a significant departure from the Saturn (and Mapex) of old. The new Saturn kits will arrive in stores beginning in March 2013.
Saturn fans now have a choice between 2 different editions and price points within the Saturn range: The Saturn MH Edition and The MH Exotic Edition.
The Saturn MH Edition: Features the famous Mapex 6-Ply snares and toms, and 8-ply bass drums constructed of North American Maple and Walnut Hybrid shells with chrome hardware, Remo Emperor Clear Batter Drumheads, and Remo P3 Batter Bass Drumheads. The Saturn MH Series is available in 6 new color finishes: Merlot Burst; Granite Sparkle; Red Strata Pearl wrap; Transparent Espresso Walnut; Red & Blue Hybrid Sparkle; and Marine Spiral wrap.

The Saturn MH Exotic Series: Features the same specifications as the Saturn MH Series but have an outer ply of exotic wood veneer and all come standard with Black Chrome hardware, adding to the high-end look of Saturn IV. The Saturn MH Exotic Series are available in 5 new lacquer finishes with very pronounced figuring: Satin Black Maple Burl; Cherry Mist Rosewood Burl; Natural Ash Burl; Deep Water Ash Burl; and Transparent Ash Burl Burst.
The new features and finishes on Saturn IV are a continuation of the major R&D and Marketing direction changes for Mapex. "We've watched as most drum companies have tried to cut corners on their premium kits in order to hit the lower price points necessitated by the sluggish economy. Mapex has historically been priced aggressively, so we've taken the opposite approach from other brands by adding significant form and function value to our pro line while maintaining our consumer-affordable pricing" says Michael Robinson, KHS Director of Marketing.

Mapex products are hand built and hand assembled by the artisans at its wholly owned factory. The people at Mapex have earned a distinguished reputation for designing, engineering and building the highest quality acoustic drums. In fact, Mapex is one of the only companies of its kind to have earned ISO9001 certification - the world's standard for manufacturing excellence

Last edited:
I don't mind the new logo and badge at all. The old logo with the Times New Roman-looking font was pretty "meh" to me.

About the finishes: I think they're a big step up from the previous Saturn offerings. I absolutely love my Saturn kit, but the Arctic White and Transparent Black finishes were the only ones I considered when it came to choosing a finish. The swirl in the original post is not too attractive, but the others are surprisingly good. Definitely a step up from some of the older ones.

The lugs are... well, I'm pretty indifferent to them. I think I prefer the old ones, but I think that's mostly because I'm so used to those by now.

It's also important to note that the Saturn IV doesn't seem to be a replacement for the classic Saturn, since they're both listed on the Mapex site.

I like the new logo although I don't have a Saturn kit the logo on the MyDentity kits are pretty much the same.

Attachments

• DSCN4148.JPG
    DSCN4148.JPG
    650.5 KB · Views: 10,521
Big Mapex fan here and I own Saturn and M Birch kits and a variety of snares, but, if this is an indication of where Mapex is going (combined with that MyDentity thing), I might be jumping off the band wagon.

The finishes don't bother me, its the hardware, badge and seemingly change in direction in terms of attaching hardware to the shells. Contradictory to previous philosophy I think.

@gr8tbgn - love your kit and the finish. Totally cool. By the way, who are the people in the painting on your wall...they all look like they're having a jolly ol time? :)

p.s. I just know Sticks is somewhere out there lurking on DW...

In my opinion, drum finishes have gotten really tacky in the past 10 or 15 years, and Mapex seems to be at the forefront of that movement, IMO. I have been impressed with the sound of the Saturns, but very turned off by all of their finishes. You would hope they would introduce some classy solid-color laquer finishes, but no, they just start rolling out more gawdy-looking drums.

I think at this stage it's more a case of he owns 10 kits!

Thirteen, I believe.

Kudos to Mapex for at least trying to differentiate between their product and others. I like the Saturn kits. I've seen a few in the flesh and they are always well-made and well-finished. I have to say though, the new badge does look like amateur hour and the older badges were better - at least, less obtrusive. The Mapex badges before the 'older' badges were horrendous as far as I can remember.

If that's the worst finish, then it's not a disaster. If it's not the worst finish oh boy. Looking at the UK website, the old finishes were good, although their bursts were a little crude with too little gradient and too much blocking. Looking at the 'new' finishes, the dark wood ('espresso walnut - at least they spelt 'espresso' correctly) is my favourite (although it rather screams '1970s sideboard!' at me) and the red strata isn't too much of a crime. The others I could take or leave but they're all equally garish.

With all of that said, at least Mapex are trying to differentiate their ranges from other makers. There is a lot of competition in this segment of the market and after a while, all the drums start to look and sound very similar. They clearly have an idea of their brand identity (not that it meets my taste!) and are following that through relatively coherently. Their shells are different - for what it's worth - and the hardware is decent. I still find myself definitively uninspired by their offerings but that bears no relation to the fact that the drums are very good and I would happily recommend them to others if asked.

Looks like Sonor ( Mapex ) essential force to me. Doesn't mapex have a factory in china that makes sonor drums. Anyone else see the similarities?

Mapex Saturn went from having one of the best tom mounting systems to one of the worst. That is enough to be a deal breaker for me. Peace and goodwill.

Back