Neil Peart's drum sound

Were they improvising, or just not tight enough to sound the same two nights in a row? I think a lot of people are confusing this lose, poorly timed feel, with creative genius. I just call it sloppy.

And I think just because some slight something you like, you then feel the need to lash out an attack by making ridiculous statements.

And eye for an eye really doesn't work on the internet.

Mostly, Peart himself seems like a pretty nice humble guy who is on record again and again essentially agreeing with the musical comparison peculiarities used here. I mean you do know he goes on these interviews and pretty much says the lion's share of this stuff himself?

^ This.

Were they improvising, or just not tight enough to sound the same two nights in a row? I think a lot of people are confusing this lose, poorly timed feel, with creative genius. I just call it sloppy.

That's purely a difference of opinion. Led Zeppelin songs are complete jams. The excitement of listening to Zep live was in the imperfections. For them, music existed as the sum of the moment it was made. I wish I was born sooner so I could've seen them.

Every night Rush plays every song perfectly. I call that an achievement in the highest regard of virtuosity. Other people call that sterile and boring. I can understand that opinion even though I don't agree with it.

There is no right and there is no wrong. It's art.

Sorry for the rant guys. I just don't understand peoples criteria sometimes. I guess I look at the whole package.

If you don't mind me saying, it's because you don't listen to enough music.

You've been on this forum for a year now, and it's still this same speech, which tells me that you're not so willing to expand your ears to understand there's far, far more out there than you're willing to admit...for reasons I think have nothing to do with music. To me, this always comes off as an issue that's more about one of us taking away your childhood or something...and I've never gotten this.

For instance man...How does his righteous viewpoint change his pocket? What is this age thing you keep bringing up when there are guys ten years or older absolutely killing it? Geez man...Peart's #1 idol Buddy Rich played one of his greatest West Side Story solos several years older than Peart is now while having a heart attack. There was stuff Louie Bellson played deep in his sixties that was technically off the hook.

Mostly, Peart himself seems like a pretty nice humble guy who is on record again and again essentially agreeing with the musical comparison peculiarities used here. I mean you do know he goes on these interviews and pretty much says the lion's share of this stuff himself?

So why do you so overreact if a Peart comment isn't on both knees?

Again, I think it's because you don't listen to enough music. And when you do it's with a bias already slanted towards your guy as if the very humble Mr. Peart of all people thinks you slam some other random guys when someone even mentions the smallest contrary. As for this Bonham negative you keep grabbing for...listen to Peart tell it. He thinks Bonham is the stuff. And who that listens to a wide range of music and is serious about his craft disagrees with this?...Well, apparently not Neal Peart.Frankly, I've always liked him for seeing the world in this bigger light. Kudos to him for that. For that reason, it's pretty silly to believe he would come to this forum upset that some of these prickly things we bring up here would bother him...because ...yet again...He says all this himself.

Man, I used not to have much time for you but over the past year I realized I was wrong about a lot of that. Now I think it would be great if you improved your overall drum game a notch (which includes listening and objectivity) before making judgments where none are required. I just think it will make your debate a lot nicer all around.

@mattsmith
Dude what's your issue, I read what you wrote and it doesn't make any sense... Calm down and don't be attacking people on this thread. Keep in mind this was started for commentary on the way Neil Peart's drums sound NOT Neil, his drums.

I don't think you've followed anything like the whole story on this forum. Matt wasn't attacking Glen, any more than Glen has been attacking people on here for over a year when they disagree with him.

C'mon guys. There is no reason for this stupid arguing crap. We all like different music. So what?

Although, I'd show Matt a little more respect. He is a upstanding member of this board and a highly skilled and accomplished professional who has provided a lot of insight to Drummerworld.

Regarding the drum sound:

The high point for me was either the Tama or Ludwig era.

The live albums of the last 10 years or so are unlistenable at this point from so many angles so I don't have much to say there, other than it'd be nice to hear them where they don't sound as compressed and muddy. (And I say this having seen them on the most recent tour and the in-room sound was miles better than the resulting live album).

My favorite sound overall is on A Show of Hands - but that was the album I listened to the most anyway, so that's probably connected.

Regarding everything else:

Seeing flaws in your heroes is a really healthy thing to be able to do. Even better if it's not the same things they readily volunteer in interviews (as a preemptive defense, some might say).

It's music, not clan warfare. Vulnerability is a wonderful thing.

I've said before that I like Rush and had tickets to see them but my friends father died the day of the show. I really wanted to see them.

I went decades not knowing how down to earth the guys were and especially Neil. He's probably one of the most humble musicians in rock and even though we here may say we don't especially care for his playing, it's just an opinion that Neil knows many people hold of him. And, I can't think of any drummer that I'd rather sit around a roaring fire with and talk about life, and even drumming.

He also knows that bazillions of people love his playing and emulate that. Neil focuses on the music and is a big boy when handling criticism.

But, I don't like his drumming as I said before because (well, I don't really have to say why)
Is his drumming incredible? Hell yeah. Always. But to me, I don't feel anything from it.
There are tons of drummers that really hit me as amazing but it's because they are more about groove and simplicity.

It's like saying I like XYZ singer that has amazing talent and no one I talk to about her agrees even though other singers see it, the award shows recognize ie, the million of fans know it. I don't see it as a cut down to me. They don't like her, fine.

There's no doubt that some of their music I wouldn't care for.

Is that a swipe at her? No, they don't care for her, maybe someday they will. But honestly when she was alive, she could have cared less.

Once again, because Neil's not my favorite I feel like I'm 'part of the masses here' and once again I formed these opinion 30 years ago.

I'm not saying he has no talent just that his music doesn't reverberate with me.

As I have my own taste in music am I supposed to put that aside for Neil? Would Neil put his drumming aside for me?

Neil was never a feel or "pocket" player. He's all about precision. Its not a knock on him whatsoever. He's one of the all time greats. But whatever "feel" Rush has comes from Alex Lifeson. Incredibly underrated guy, love his playing.

Dead on correct. Alex IS Rush as much as Neil is. Even more. Love Peart of course, but his best playing and "sound" was over 30 years ago on Moving Pictures and that era. The digital age made his drumming sound even more technical than it already was. Would love to see him play on a 4 piece set. Are there videos out there....?

Dead on correct. Alex IS Rush as much as Neil is. Even more. Love Peart of course, but his best playing and "sound" was over 30 years ago on Moving Pictures and that era. The digital age made his drumming sound even more technical than it already was. Would love to see him play on a 4 piece set. Are there videos out there....?

He recorded "Malignant Narcissism" off of "Snakes and Arrows" on a four piece kit, although, you can't really tell from listening to it.

I like the snare sound from Permanent Waves and the drums and cymbal sounds from Moving Pictures the best. There are others I like, but those I like the best.

Interesting that the high tuning started on Moving pictures, but when you're running Evans Hydraulics, you can get away with that pretty easily. I heard some isolated Moving Pictures drum tracks recently and to me, they sounded surprisingly terrible by themselves. Go figure! It's all about how it sits in the music in the end.

I'm not crazy about how high he's got everything tuned up these days. His 13" on down toms sound okay, but the 12" on up sound overwhelming to me. His snare sound these days is pretty great and I know it's that VLT 6x14 he's got going on, but I wonder how much treatment it's getting in the studio ... I just can't believe that a VLT shell will sound that much different that the non-VLT 6x14 Collectors Maple that I had - which sounded boxy, lifeless, and nothing like Neil's.

On the whole issue of his stiffness or rigidity; when he was young, that was part of his charm, and more than his big kit or epic fills, was what I liked about him most. There wasn't anyone that could hold a tight groove like that and stick the individual hits in there quite where he was putting them, except maybe Alan White. It made him instantly recognizable. I agree that now he's really stiff, and not in such a good way. Part of that may be too many years following sequencers around and second guessing his own instincts.

When I watch him play now, all I can think is that he must have arthritis or something. He didn't used to be that way, though. When he was young, he was unusually tight and precise, but with enough human flow to keep me interested. Now it's uncomfortably tight and I get where that criticism comes from.

Yeah, he's always seemed like a great guy and he is genuinely drawn to drums and drumming so it's hard to fault his enthusiasm.

It just seems that since I got to this site, that I hear daily how people don't get him. I don't like Jazz, but I can listen to a great Jazz drummer and get that the dude is great. Or I can watch American Idol and listen to some young person sing a song I don't like, and still get that they are a great singer.

From what I've seen, it's mostly people saying that they understand his talent but his playing doesn't move them particularly.

It's like Keith Moon. That guy was influential beyond belief. Most people list him near the top of the best drummers of all time. You don't seem to like him too much. Does that make you wrong? No, it's just your opinion. Polly (for instance) doesn't seem to be a huge Peart fan. Is she wrong?

I think you can guess the answer.

Page could never replicate the studio Zeppelin some songs have 4 to 6 guitar tracks Page was a genius in the studio that's why they improvised a lot live.

It doesn't. have to be super fast or highly technical too be good,believe me I adore technical & amazing "La Villa Strangiato" and think it some of Neil's best work but I also adore the power & simplicity of "When the levee breaks" something about the "less is more" thing creates more of a "wow" factor to me.

Bonzolead

I've said before that I like Rush and had tickets to see them but my friends father died the day of the show. I really wanted to see them.

I went decades not knowing how down to earth the guys were and especially Neil. He's probably one of the most humble musicians in rock and even though we here may say we don't especially care for his playing, it's just an opinion that Neil knows many people hold of him. And, I can't think of any drummer that I'd rather sit around a roaring fire with and talk about life, and even drumming.

He also knows that bazillions of people love his playing and emulate that. Neil focuses on the music and is a big boy when handling criticism.

But, I don't like his drumming as I said before because (well, I don't really have to say why)
Is his drumming incredible? Hell yeah. Always. But to me, I don't feel anything from it.
There are tons of drummers that really hit me as amazing but it's because they are more about groove and simplicity.

It's like saying I like XYZ singer that has amazing talent and no one I talk to about her agrees even though other singers see it, the award shows recognize ie, the million of fans know it. I don't see it as a cut down to me. They don't like her, fine.

There's no doubt that some of their music I wouldn't care for.

Is that a swipe at her? No, they don't care for her, maybe someday they will. But honestly when she was alive, she could have cared less.

Once again, because Neil's not my favorite I feel like I'm 'part of the masses here' and once again I formed these opinion 30 years ago.

I'm not saying he has no talent just that his music doesn't reverberate with me.

As I have my own taste in music am I supposed to put that aside for Neil? Would Neil put his drumming aside for me?

Back to the topic I like Neil's drum tone on "2112"..lol and Neil is my 2nd fav. drummer always has been probably always will be..lol When I see rock drummers today I always compare them to Bonham or Peart because they covered all the bases in "Rock" Drumming IMO of course...lol

Bonzolead

nevermind..repetitive.

Last edited:
Back