Difference in Pearl snares . . .

mandrew

Gold Member
I am familiar with Pearl concert snares, but not too much on standard snares. which are supposed to be their "top of the line", or better drums generally? what is their more economy minded, and which seems to be the most favored?

I am not sure if I really care for the free floating.

I think the Reference snares & the Ultracast are mostly the top of the range. The Sensitones used to be very good & economically priced... now they're mostly just very good. There are quite a few old "Sensitone Elites" around, though, which are the pre-2015 refresh models. The brass and bronze models seem to be particularly well-liked.

I think the Reference snares & the Ultracast are mostly the top of the range. The Sensitones used to be very good & economically priced... now they're mostly just very good. There are quite a few old "Sensitone Elites" around, though, which are the pre-2015 refresh models. The brass and bronze models seem to be particularly well-liked.

There are the good Sensitones (10-lug or branded "Elite" if they are newer) and the entry-level Sensitones (8-lug).

Speaking of Pearl snares, what does the G stand for? I.e, Maple G?

I am familiar with Pearl concert snares, but not too much on standard snares. which are supposed to be their "top of the line", or better drums generally? what is their more economy minded, and which seems to be the most favored?

I am not sure if I really care for the free floating.

The newer FF's are not as good as the older ones that had the extended snare wires across the entire width of the drum.

A lot of older FF's can be had cheaply (under $200)if you keep an eye out.

I own a lot of snare drums and next to my Fibes ,the FF's are my fav.
I have 6 of them with the Tico Torres being the best of the bunch.

Speaking of Pearl snares, what does the G stand for? I.e, Maple G?

I am going to say that the letter designation is a series code for an older drum. Just for some point of reference, I own a "W" series mahogany shell project and used to own an "E" series all maple kit. The W series kit I own was made in 1976-best I can deduce and my E series all maple (pre Masters) 1983.
This snare is older I am assuming.

I just watched a demo today from DCP (drum center portsmouth in NH) where Shane, the owner, said the new brass sensitone premium snare (with patina finish) is his #1 go-to brass snare--a rather bold statement considering the implied rejection of the Black Beauty.

I have an Omar Hakim signature snare and like it quite a bit.

Back