I'd like to know your thoughts!!! Help me out

kissarmyfreak

Ok here is what I need all of your opinions on.

I'm very interested & just about ready to pull the trigger on getting myself a new kit. BUT I honestly cant decide which one. it will be a 6 pc 2 up 2 down.

I've got it down to these 2.

The Mapex birch / walnut SE sienna fade

or

The Cruch acrylic

I want my own sound that not every drummer has & a kit that makes people not only remember the look but the sound as well.
Price differance isn't an issue.

So I'd really like to hear what y'all think.

Thanks

Attachments

• DV016_Jpg_Large_365301_001_transparent_walnut_fade.jpg
    DV016_Jpg_Large_365301_001_transparent_walnut_fade.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,119
  • Crush Acrylic Drums.jpg
    Crush Acrylic Drums.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 2,564
Last edited:
The Mapex Saturn would be my choice.

The Crush drums seem nice, but they just aren't in the same class and I don't think acrylic drums are a versatile as wood.

The Crush kit would be something not may people have as far as the visual thing.

I know the Crush kit is well made (Crush in general have looked/sounded really nice), and the hardware seems really sturdy on the kits I have looked over.

I like the acrylic hoops, it's a cool touch. Crush also puts little rubber bumpers on the bass drum claws, so the chrome never touches the ground/floor.

I'd side with the Mapex kit. One other consideration if you go with the Crush acrylic kit is to invest in very good cases. Acrylic kits are not as road worthy in regards to scratches, etc.

I'm just not a fan of acrylic kits in general. Okay for some things, I suppose, and the visual appeal is definitely there, but there's just no substitute for wood, IMO. Plus those Saturns are nice drums. Can't go wrong from a sound perspective, plus they look very nice despite that they look too much like furniture with hideous badges! (those badges should be on the shell interior IMO)

Mapex, all the way.

I just saw a Crush set that was a 6 piece exactly like the one pictured at a local music store. It sounded and looked amazing, but very limited.

Anyway, the Mapex Saturns are extremely versatile and beautiful sounding drums.

I think the Mapex would be more of a long haul all around workhorse kit.

Of course I am sure the crush does it's intended job well.

If you already have a standard working man's kit,I would go with the crush.

Of course,you only live once so if you have decided you really want an acrylic that one sure looks good to me.

If they would be my absolute only options, I would go with the Mapex. I played Tamas Starclassic Mirage kit and it put a bad taste in my mouth for acrylic drums. I like drums with a bit of warmth, and the acrylics didn't do it for me.

Dennis

I really appreciate everyone’s opinions. Thank y’all very much

Once I make my decision I wll post pics here for everyone to see

As of today i'm leaning toward the Crush, BUT we shall see

I had a set of acrylics once, Spauns. I had them for about 6 months. Then one day I woke up and just craved wood again, so I traded them in. I've never had a craving for acrylic since. So buy them, get sick of them, and go back to wood, just to get it out of your system.

IMHO acrylic drums is a fad. The Mapex drums you are looking at is much more versatile - get those.
Acrylics could be a great kit number 2 or 3. Not the only one.

I had a set of acrylics once, Spauns. I had them for about 6 months. Then one day I woke up and just craved wood again, so I traded them in. I've never had a craving for acrylic since. So buy them, get sick of them, and go back to wood, just to get it out of your system.

OR you can get an acrylic/maple hybrid set like I did by Spaun and be completely happy with the big acrylic sound combined with the warm maple resonance.

I wouldn't say acrylic drums are a fad. They have been around a long, long time, and there are probably more companies making them now than ever. They do serve a purpose. You can get them in any color, clear, or any pattern you can dream up. With clear, they are highlighted in whatever color light is on them. That's just the look.

They are LOUD! Real loud. Rivaled possibly only by the Yamaha Oak Customs. With clear Ambassadors you might as well be ringing church bells. That's why some prefer them live.

The downsides: Well, depending on your situation, they may be too loud. They will be completely void of any warmth. Wood drums are alive (well,not anymore! Lol. Figuratively) They offer undertones and overtones that just can't be had with other materials. Of course some colors play to the lights and stuff but not as much as acrylic obviously. There are other. things to consider as well both ways. Acrylic is pretty impervious to humidity. Having a wood kit, though it is a furnished, finished basement, is still succeptable to higher humidity, so I always have a dehumidifier down there, whether running or not, and keep it in the 45-55% range. I have heard that acrylic has the potential to have problems in sunlight and heat. Direct sunlight is bad either way, but it will break down plastics quite quickly. Ever step on a soda bottle that's been out in the sun for a period of time? It shatters like glass.

I recommend actually calling the company up, and others for that matter and talk with them. Call Ludwig and crap, I forgot the other company. 3 letters and acrylic is all they do. They do all the swirl colors and designs and custom stuff. Get a list of questions, write them down, and call and ask. Only you know what conditions you'll be playing in, storing them in, and transporting them in, so it's all you. So go buy yourself the kit of your dreams and let us know how it turns out!

RCI ! The company is RCI ! LOL. They do some pretty cool stuff.

Last edited:
Just curious,since most posters prefered the wood shelled Mapex,why are you are leaning toward the clear acrylic Crush?.Style over substance?Most other drummers use wood shelled drums and you want to make a statement?

The majority of the sound of a drum kit is in the tuning and head selection,and not really in the shell material.Good bearing edges also effect the sound,which in this case is actually a mute point,since both kits already fall into that catagory.

Acrylic drums are louder,and much tougher to maintain,and scratch easily.

Steve B

I got the chance to hear both the mapex saturn & the Crush acrylic in a drum store & the Crush just had better "drum" sounds to me. As for volume I do like a loder kit because IMO i think to often the drums are covered by load guitars & vocals. I see it as helping the mix. Again just my opinion.

I got the chance to hear both the mapex saturn & the Crush acrylic in a drum store & the Crush just had better "drum" sounds to me. As for volume I do like a loder kit because IMO i think to often the drums are covered by load guitars & vocals. I see it as helping the mix. Again just my opinion.

Nothing that microphones can't fix. Personally, never again will I sacrifice tone for volume.

Back