How do you manage to transport hardware without having it all in one super heavy bag?

gusty

Platinum Member
My hardware bag broke the other day due to too much weight in it (all of my hardware, which isn't all that much). It's way too heavy and uncomfortable to carry, has anyone come up with a solution for this?

I use a golf travel bag. Its from Ogio and has large wheels on it so it rolls really well over anything, even up and down stairs.

Attachments

• cases1.png
    cases1.png
    323.1 KB · Views: 782
  • cases2.png
    cases2.png
    213.5 KB · Views: 758
When I was gigging I used a trap case. It had four wheels and held cymbals, snare, and all my hardware.I never used a big kit.

I carry the hardware loose and separate, due to chronic lower back issues. In this way I can carry the stands one at a time if I'm having a bad back day, or three or four at once if I feel like inducing a bad back day. I also use medium-weight stands and try to mount as much as possible on as few stands as possible.

I've often thought about going in for a rolling hardware duffel or case, but the lift into and out of the car is what makes my discs revolt and start headbutting my sciatic nerves.

Hardware needs to roll, not be carried.

I carry the hardware loose and separate, due to chronic lower back issues. In this way I can carry the stands one at a time if I'm having a bad back day, or three or four at once if I feel like inducing a bad back day. I also use medium-weight stands and try to mount as much as possible on as few stands as possible.

I've often thought about going in for a rolling hardware duffel or case, but the lift into and out of the car is what makes my discs revolt and start headbutting my sciatic nerves.

I have plenty of room in the bed of my pickup truck, so I carry them loose as well. It doesn't seem to cause any damage. Then again, I don't have as much hardware as most, since I use a drum rack to support 80% of the cymbals, as well as my 8" tom. The rest of the toms are bass mounted (10", 12") or floor toms (14", 16").

I know some guys use the hard golf club travel cases.......................been keeping my eyes open and looking for one local................seems to be the most practical way to carry hardware.

My hardware bag broke the other day due to too much weight in it (all of my hardware, which isn't all that much). It's way too heavy and uncomfortable to carry, has anyone come up with a solution for this?

OOH! OOH! OOH!!!

Check out the link to the thread about my kit in my signature! I came up with a GREAT solution that I've been using for years now...

I use lightweight single braced stands and have a bag that was sold to hold tripod legs for
a PA system. I added 2 wheels to the end of the bag. It is long enough I just fold up the
legs on all the stands and place them in fully extended. It makes for a very fast setup.

I just use two bags. I have a couple of gator hardware bags with wheels. Twice the bags = half the weight per bag. I do use really heavy hardware though. I play all DW 9000 series hardware with 5 cymbal stands, a snare stand, a double tom stand, and a hi-hat stand. Along with other assorted hardware/tom legs/throne/etc, each bag still weighs around 60 lbs. Definitely not for the feint of heart (or back).

I manage by having minimal hardware that isn't a huge pain to setup, lug, or tear down.

Thanks for the suggestions! Think I may have to look for an old suitcase or golf bag...

Rock N Roller R8 cart on the left and my hardware "case" on the right. It's an open-ended box I built it with some scrap 1/2" plywood and put inside a duffle bag I got at the army surplus store. Transported by a cheap cart that I got at Harbor Freight for about $20. If I were touring I'd opt for something better, but for local gigs it works great. I only have to lift it from the cart to the back of my pickup and vice versa.

I never tore down hardware, other then the boom arms themselves, and disconnecting rack sections. I always had a full size van. I used a double bass set up (for a country band!) for years, including a drum riser. So its always a little funny when people talk about needing small kits for space, as I fit that thing in every rinky-dink bar we played. I guess if you dont have a van that limits your choices, but I never shared peoples fascination with tearing down hardware.

If you're not touring long distances, I don't see the point in tearing all that hardware down and bagging it. I usually only play in town, so I just pile everything on the floor of the backseat of my SUV. I bring a dolly and some bungee cords to strap everything in, when I encounter a venue with a particularly gnarly load-in.

Another upside: I'm setup and ready to rock in 5 minutes...meanwhile, the rest of the band is still tuning and checking mics. Just enough time for a beer. :)

I have a small kit with light stands which breaks down to two heavy sports bags. A roller would be impractical for me.

Could be worse. Once we had a guy fill in for me and I visited a rehearsal and helped with lugging out. He had a single stands case that I could not even an inch off the ground. I am 5'8", far from petite and used to play tennis so I'm fairly strong, but this case was "construction site" heavy.

Back