how old is my Yamaha 9000 Floortom?

Drummer-L

Hi folks,

I´m new to this forum. Hoping to find some Yamaha 9000 experts who can help me out.

I recently bought this old `Made in Taiwan` 18x16" 9000 series floortom - it was converted to a bassdrum so there are some extra holes but came with all the original parts to reconvert it (except tension rods).

I tried to find out when it was built from the serial number but did not get to see through fully how these numbers work.
The Badge reads: Model FT-918E , Ser. No. PL 5002

The floortom has the more rounded bearing edge, the high tension lugs still have springs & felts in them. From what I know these seem to be the early period of Recording Customs (?)

So can it be this Tom is from the late 70s or early 80s ? Can anyone estimate a more definite year of built based on the serial number?

Thanks.

Yamaha_9000_18x16_025.JPG

Yamaha_9000_18x16_018.JPG

Yamaha_9000_18x16_026.JPG

Yamaha_9000_18x16_023.JPG

Yamaha_9000_18x16_031.JPG

Looks like 1979. Birch shell.

I have the same kit with smaller single-lugs instead of those long ones. If you consider letting it go PM me, that floor tom would fit in with my 9000 kit.

Thanks for your answers.
For me it looks older than 1989 as well.

So the long high-tension lug was already in use by 1979 ?
In other threads I read it wasn´t used until the early 80s but I can´t say how reliable that information is.

Dating Yamaha Drums

1980-1989: The first letter in the serial number indicates the year of manufacture; the second letter is the month.
Example: OL = 1988/May, OM= 1988/June. • Indicates research model or first run in production
H I J K L M N O P Q S X Y Z
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 • 10 11 12

Indeed
P = 1989
L = May

Relatively late, but not impossible if i'm not mistaken.

Its a Yamaha Standard Recording. They came without the hand rubbed interior black finish the Recording Custom is known for. It came with the option of a wrap or a clear coating (slightly more matte then the coating on a 9000)

I read in this thread that Yamaha switched to the 45º bearing edge in 1986 (right?)
This would rule out 1989 as a year of built for my tom.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=898570#post898570

Does anyone know for how long Yamaha drums were produced in Taiwan ?

I'm pretty certain that the "made in Taiwan" Yamaha's were made in the early 80's (81-82) and only for a short period of time.... I've got a couple contacts at yamaha I can ask, to hopefully get a more definitive answer....

Dating Yamaha Drums

1980-1989: The first letter in the serial number indicates the year of manufacture; the second letter is the month.
Example: OL = 1988/May, OM= 1988/June. • Indicates research model or first run in production
H I J K L M N O P Q S X Y Z
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 • 10 11 12

Indeed
P = 1989
L = May

Relatively late, but not impossible if i'm not mistaken.

Its a Yamaha Standard Recording. They came without the hand rubbed interior black finish the Recording Custom is known for. It came with the option of a wrap or a clear coating (slightly more matte then the coating on a 9000)

From the bearing edge and Made in Taiwan it's much earlier than that, very late 70s or early 80s is more like it.

I've got a Taiwanese 18" 9000 floor tom that I converted into a bass drum and it's alovely sounding thing.

I'm pretty certain that the "made in Taiwan" Yamaha's were made in the early 80's (81-82) and only for a short period of time.... I've got a couple contacts at yamaha I can ask, to hopefully get a more definitive answer....

thanks, that would be great as I may not contact the Yamaha US support from my location.
I just sent an inquiry to Yamaha Europe about this as well. Let´s see if they can help.

I've got a Taiwanese 18" 9000 floor tom that I converted into a bass drum and it's alovely sounding thing.
Yeah. Played mine a bit as a kick drum as well. Great sound for an 18"

Back