Lots and lots and lots of new stuff!

spantney

Hey all!

Sorry for the essay but I thought I would start with a bit of a synopsis of whats happened in my drum purchasing history!

I've been a busy bee since last year with drum purchases, and now I'm in 2 bands which both are going to start having a fairly large gigging schedule, plus been in the recording studio quite a bit recently with EP's and stuff like that and have a further 5 days booked up in April to record my very first albulm ever!

I'm a proper Mapex fan through and through, every single Mapex kit I've ever owned I've loved to bits. My first step was a VX series kit in Plasma Sapphire I got when I was 15, which was an upgrade up from my very first kit (session pro 5 piece). When I got this kit I was inspired to start practicing a lot more and generally started having a lot more fun behind the drum set. After a couple of years with that kit, I bit the bullet and purchased a Mapex Pro-M kit in cherry fade which I absolutely adored. I had good times on this kit, and then I started joining quite serious bands. Yearning for an upgrade back end of 2009 I purchased a Mapex Saturn in Galaxy Blue Burst which is simply amazing, and all of my recordings to date have been done on this kit.

A couple of months ago a friend of mine needed a drum kit so I gave her my VX series kit as it pained me to just be sitting there not being used, so I'm happy I could help someone out and also my old faithful is being used regularly again :)

Today I went into my local drum store and then I saw it...Mapex Saturn in Silver Sparkle with Black Hardware. Oh my god it looked amazing. List price was around £1500 so I asked my mate who works there what deal he could do. After a bit of banter I agreed to part exchange in my beloved Pro-M kit and wait for it ....£690 (less than half price) for a brand new drum kit! So I am now the extremely proud owner of 2 Mapex Saturn drum kits :)

I won't say anything more as the pictures speak for themselves!!!!

I took one with flash on (top picture) and one in natural light to show how it looks in different lights. Take my word for it, this is going to look amazing on stage and I can't wait to use it :D

I'll try and take some more pictures with this bad boy set up properly either later today or tomorrow!

Specs wise this is;

20 x 20 Bass Drum
8 x 8 Rack Tom
10 x 9 Rack Tom
12 x 10 Rack Tom
16 x 14 Floor Tom

Also last month I purchased an entire new set of cymbals and a couple more Mapex B700 cymbal stands (these things are the nuts for the price!!)

Specs of these bad boys are;

13" AAX Stage Hats
16" AAxplosion Crash
18" AAXplosion Crash
20" AAXplosion Crash
12" AAX Mini-China
16" AAX China
21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride
11" AAXplosion Splash
7" Stagg Ice Bell

Anyway I'm going to go and set these drums up and start playing them now.

Cheers!

Ant :)

Quick update:

Heres a picture of my other Mapex Saturn using my new cymbals (everything minus the 11" Splash, and the Saturns 8" Tom is missing too);

And also some pictures of my new kit set up!

Specs wise here we go!

Kit number 1 (this is currently the run-around kit);

Mapex Saturn Blue Galaxy Burst
22" x 20" Bass drum
8" x 8" Rack
10" x 9" Rack
12" x 9" Rack
16" x 16" Floor
14" x 5.5" Black Panther Birdseye Maple Snare

13" AAX Stage Hats
16" AAxplosion Crash
18" AAXplosion Crash
20" AAXplosion Crash
12" AAX Mini-China
16" AAX China
21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride
11" AAXplosion Splash
7" Stagg Ice Bell

Mapex B500 and B700 series hardware
Tama Iron Cobra Rolling Glide double bass drum pedal
PDP Heavy Duty Drum Throne
Remo emperors top and bottom toms, evans EQ3 batter and EQ3 with porthole on bass, emperor-x on snare
Vic Firth 5 A sticks

Kit number 2 (my home kit)

Mapex Saturn - Silver Sparkle

20 x 20 Bass Drum
8 x 8 Rack Tom
10 x 9 Rack Tom
12 x 10 Rack Tom
16 x 14 Floor Tom

13 x 7 Ddrum Dominion Maple Snare ltd edition
12 x 6 Black Panther maple snare (aux)

14" AAX Stage Hats
16" AAX Stage Crash
18" AAX Stage Crash
10" AAX Splash
17" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash
18" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash
20" Zildjian A Custom China
17" Zildjian K China
6.5" Zildjian Zil-Bel
20" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid Ride

PDP Drum rack with Gibraltar and Tama hardware
Tama Iron Cobra Power Glide double bass drum pedal
Mapex 950 drum throne & 500 series hi-hat & snare stands

Remo emperors top, ambassadors bottom - toms
Remo powerstroke batter, Evans EQ3 with porthole - Bass
Remo Powerstroke 4 (aux snare), and Controlled sound (main snare) - snares

That's quite a collection there! Congratulations, nice stuff.

Are you sure you don't also want a Sonor Safari? There's a great review done here on Drummerworld..... ;)

That's quite a collection there! Congratulations, nice stuff.

Are you sure you don't also want a Sonor Safari? There's a great review done here on Drummerworld..... ;)

Not for sale in the UK, Bo! Or else I'd be all over one like a rash next year.

Funnily enough I love those little kits! I saw a rock covers band using a Yammy Hipgig when I went to Dublin at Christmas and it sounded immense! The Safari's look pretty cool aswell, I might look a bit ridiculous playing one though!

Oh yes :D They sound absolutely fantastic!

Back