Things you hate to have happen while drumming

Yeah, I gotta agree smacking your hand or thumb in middle of a song, blows, especially when you gotta keep playin'. Crackin' a knuckle against a rim edge is bad, and although this
has happened only a few times in 34 yrs of playing, getting a hard glancing blow to the side of your face with the stick, and not being able to stop has got to be the worst.

ege_the_drummer said:
1. Hitting your hand with a drumstick while playing. Not only does it hurt, but I usually drop the stick in the most inconvenient of places (which leads me to my next point).

2. Having the stick fly out of your hand while drumming. I can stand dropping it within reaching area, but I hate it when the stick lands several feet away.
ok dude im there. i hate it when it slides under my floor tom. i can get it with out stoping and hopping under. More times than that when i break sticks i go for my Aheads because they make great back ups. but they slip right out. normaly hitting my older brother (bands bassist) right in the fore head.

Also hiting ur Knuckle on your snares tention rods. but what REALLY gets my goat, doing a fill that goes from my snare to my first tom, but catching your sticks tip on the tom on your way up. then the stick goes flying... bringing me back to hiting my brother in the face, Again.

Another thing I hate is when my sticks start to chip on the tips. It kills the stick defenition on my hi hats and my ride. Plus the sawdust-like stuff that comes off the sticks when you hit your crashes too much bugs the crap out of me. It gets everywhere on and around my drumkit.

Over the years I've had multiple things go wrong: from moving bass drums and hi-hat stands, to faulty hi-hat clasps and tension rods unscewing themselves, to broken sticks hitting me in the face and falling cymbal stands. I remember, however, playing some of my first shows in the late 1970's (remember when large flared pants were the vogue) and, playing heel up, having the bass drum beater dissapear up my trouser leg - embarrasing and difficult to fix without losing the groove. These things, however, are meant to try us and every time it happens once you are in beter position to deal with it on a second occurrence.

Paul

ege_the_drummer said:
I very much agree. I was almost hit in the eye when I broke one once... I guess that's why I slightly turn my head when I hit my floor tom.

Dude that happened to me to. The stick almost made me blind. I seriously couldnt see for a minute. It was scary

Well that are a few things that get my goat
1. When playing rim shots I hit my knuckle on the rim
2. throwing a stick\
3. hitting myself with a stick
4. I can only play up to 4 beats and anything further is hard as shmit

When my careless bandmates always want to play my drums. I'm sure they are playing them when I'm not around to stop them, so the set I leave there is my Frankenset that I built. It was my first set, and is mostly comprised of duct tape. Although it's fragile and more likely to break, I'd rather they break that than screw up my nice kit.

And when I drop a stick. Or hit my hand. These ones are alreay mentioned, but they drive me nuts anyway. And when anything breaks. Then you have to take some time to figure out how you are going to make it work long enough to use it.

And there was this one time when I was adjusting my seat and it fell on my hand and I didn't realise how badly it was bleeding until it was all over my drumset while I was playing. But we were having a good groove, so I didn't want to stop.

yeah same with me. it really makes me mad when one of my band members wants to play my kit. because they just dont understand. I also hate it when i drop my sticks or when i hit the rim.

1. God this is bad, ''Cronic-saturated-sweaty-arse-disease'' get this quite alot of the time not very nice at all...some how it all ends round my arse.
2. Whackin my self, yeah thats bad too
3. Forgeting whats going on, just in general realy...

I hate when jamming with a band, I try to add some creative dynamics and it falls on deaf ears by the guitar and bass player, resulting in one long monotonous jam in which my arms go limp and I wonder why I'm even playing. Then I start to resort to seeing what I can do to screw them up and I start having fun again.

i hate when ill be doing rimshots and then all of a sudden ill just hit the rim, and its just so obvious that something just went wrong...grrr

Drummerboy3940 said:
Dude that happened to me to. The stick almost made me blind. I seriously couldnt see for a minute. It was scary

Its a killer, and then when u finally get yur vision back, well partially, u can't see outta that eye for like a day afterwards, similarly leaning in and clipping the back of your ear is pretty painful....actually how'd i manage that....eh...it happened anyway, painful!!

It doesn't happen very often, but sometimes when I start playing real hard I will hit myself in the glasses and break them. Oddly enough, it has happened 3 or 4 times.

when someone breaks my stick and i have to say i told you.
i would really like to have a baseball stick to show him some two or three things

Whacking myself really hard across the back of my left hand with my right hand whilst doing a spectacular and fast fill. I use traditional grip....

Back