Things you hate to have happen while drumming

I was playin yesterday and in the middle of a song my hand cramped up and the stick went flying about 8 feet..that was a bad situation. i had to pull a Rick Allen.

i was playing a gig at my school and just before we finished our last song my bass drum slid of the mat i was using and started to inch further and further away from me but fortunatly the lead singer of my band realized and gave the drum a kick and we were able to finish the set.

when I'm playing a quick lick between my snare and tom, and my stick gets caught on the rim of my tom because I didn't lift enough and I knock over the tom because I keep it on a snare stand. Yah, that always sucks, especially at a show. other then taht going full on knuckle to rim sucks a lot.

here's one...
playing a show last night, 40 minute set, no stops. we played a piece that consisted of one riff being played for the entire set while the other instruments made plenty of obnoxious reverb-soaked noise. I brought a bass drum, ride, and snare, and played a rock beat straight the entire time, no fills. It's a fast piece but i could handle it alright when we practised before. the guitarist counted it in last night, wayyyyyyyy too fast, so about 4 minutes into it my right arm was dying. I kept having to switch sticking techniques to give certain muscles a rest. pulled it off fine, but next time, i'm counting the song in. :)

The most annoying thing for me, which causes me to curse every single time, is catching the tip of my my stick on the undersite of the hoop of my rack tom when i'm doing a quick snare to rack tom fill. Very often the stick with flip up and fall ten feet in front of my kit or fall on floor right in the middle of all stands so I can't get to it without killing my back.

Miss hitting a crash and not getting a full sound is pretty annoying too but I don't do that as much anymore since I put my crashes more flat.

Things I hate are sticks flying out of my hand, a cymbal stand falling over, and having a stage monitor go out or a bad mix in the monitor.

MarkMooch said:
Better technique, more technical and rudimentary practise to gain stamina and ease of playing and also better positing of your ride cymbal. Any more help just ask. ;-).

We've got to take measures to avoid this happening people! Saying that I am as guilty as anyone as not setting up my kit as well as I should becasue I haven't made time to expirment with what works better. I suppose we just get too exicted about playing them and forget other stuff.

YES! could you please help. with some technique, rudiments and such and such. Even a link to a video would be great! thanks

hauk said:
plus, this happens all the time, the washer under my top hat loosens and drops the hat... it happens after just a couple of measures playing eighth notes with 'em loose or opening and closing them with my foot
mine does that too, my dad suggested locktite but I'm not sure if I'd ever get it off again after.

I sometimes hit myself with the stick right on the edge of my eye socket, that hurts a lot

I hate it when i hit my knuckles on something and then they will start bleeding a little bit.

My tension rod on my high hat stand came loose. The result is you step on the high hat pedal and it goes right to the floor! You can't open or close your hats......

Saint

heres a heck of a story.. my buddy was playing a pretty big gig.. but the stage wasnt as big as he would of liked it and he was pushed right to the backk.. and there was about a 5 foot gap between the stage and something behind it will all the tons and tons of wires and cords went and such. he was in the middle of a song.. and on of the feet slipped off the back of the stage and boom.. he go caught right between the 2 parts.. and was all tangled up STUCK haha the other band members were laughing there heads off.. and the audience..he felt like an idiot .. but it turned out ok..

James

I have a real bad habit. It happens that I hit myself in the eye while playing. That hurts.

And when my ass gets all clammy on the drum throne. That's very annoying!

I always forget to tighten the little bolts on the shaft that connects my double pedal together...

Then when you have that perfect chance to play a double time fill with some quick footwork you stomp that left pedal and the whole thing falls apart... sucks

I don't really drop sticks anymore, but when it does happen for me it's usually a pretty cartoonish event. The stick I drop tends to either hit the guitar player or end up on the dancefloor.

I put a beater through my kickdrum once... not a good feeling. Now my resonant head is all marked up cuz i had to flip the drum around to finish the show.

I hate being late to gigs... and hate it even more when someone else is late.

And my biggest pet peeve: running out of beer mid-set. ARGH!

wow, quite a list of catasrophes here. let's see, what's happened to me?

well, for starters I have played an entire set with my toms on backwards (bottom side up), and midway through the set my bottom snare drum head breaks because it was positioned only slightly off angle on the snare stand (one of the arms sat on the skin and then pierced it when I hit it hard). that was no fun, as I had to figure out how I was goin gto manage with half a snare. I ended up replacing the head during an acoustic song with the bottom head of the same sized tom (14").

i have had sticks break on stage but i have always managed to recover, and in style. i was lucky enough each time not to have lost the beat, i guess i was just so focused that it almost didnt matter that i lost the handle on a stick.

as for beverages, i have had beer and other stuff placed on a nearby amp - and even an audience member's drink as well - that have proceed to find their way to my shoes and throne. i was afraid the liquid would ruin the set or short out my mates but luckily that hasnt been the case. worst of it got on my pants and shoes, but you just keep going, having fun.

Back