How do you guys practice?

Nuzki

How do you guys play along with your songs?

Ive tried drumless tracks but theyre quite rare and its hard to find

Thanks

Unfortunately, you have to pay for it; I guess I'll use it as last resort if I cant really scour the internet for backtrack of one song.

Repetition... drumless or not. Put the song on, put the headphone (earbuds etc...) on and just play along. It will come.

What is difficult today, will one day be a warm up.

I create our band's playlists on my iphone with the Beats streaming music subscription.

I plug my iphone into my Roland V Drums and play along with headphones. Where I need to work something out I stop, rewind, etc.

I also often write out the structure of the song.

Sometimes I'll write out a measure or two of drum music notation for accents/etc.

I play with the original recording.

Thanks

Unfortunately, you have to pay for it; I guess I'll use it as last resort if I cant really scour the internet for backtrack of one song.

WTF?

Of course you pay for it. That's the way the world works: If you want something of value you have to give something of value in return.

Cue discussion of the value of music, the pros and cons of playing for free etc.

Once we have nailed "Our" version of a song, the ending usually being the most argued over part, I set up my Zoom recorder during a band practice. I then copy the songs down to my MP3 so I can plug in and play along to at home.

WTF?

Of course you pay for it. That's the way the world works: If you want something of value you have to give something of value in return.

Cue discussion of the value of music, the pros and cons of playing for free etc.

I entirely agree. As much as I take issue with various elements of the economy, somebody has put time and effort into creating those tracks. If they choose to release them for free, that's great but making backing tracks like that is a profession for some and need to earn money as a result. As a poacher-turned-gamekeeper there I can see where the OP is coming from but I can't agree with him. I used to pirate music (when I was a teenager) but I don't any more and instead make my own. I offer it for free because it's not my job and something I do in my spare time but if I was relying on it as a major source of income, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be charging.

On the other hand you could learn to play other instruments to make your own backing tracks. Believe me, that's a lot of fun...

I play along with recordings, the radio, friends that play guitar or keyboard, or solo. Seems to work OK.

Get Spotify. There is a playlist of drumless tracks called " Drumless Practice Tracks" that has 853 songs in it. Need to be online to stream for free or pay monthly fee to be able to listen to tracks without internet connection. I pay. Mainly because I am of the generation that thinks that pirating stuff for free is a bad thing. I'm in the journalism business where I have personally seen the negative effects of free content vs paying for it at play. Internet is great for many things but copyright ain't one of them

Seems that my comment is getting alot of hate; quite understandable

You guys misunderstood me though, what I meant by that was Im willing to pay but if I could get a better alternative (youtube most likely) then why not

I, sincerely, appreciate all the feedbacks though - certainly giving me ideas as a beginner

Get Spotify. There is a playlist of drumless tracks called " Drumless Practice Tracks" that has 853 songs in it.

Hey, thanks for posting this!

I'm on Spotify but somehow never thought of checking out drumless tracks over there.

Back