Yamaha Drums

Not trying to be argumentative, but I've spent some time on Yamaha's site, reading descriptions of the lugs and their benefits.

Nowhere to be found is any mention of 'self-aligning', for any type of lug, including the new Absolute Hybrids.

Although, they do say the Hybrid lugs "....can readily handle high-tension tuning....", possibly implying that the previous lugs couldn't.

Some shots...

10678869_10205037493036611_7301480557241675335_n.jpg

10154209_10205037579398770_7334498323843316138_n.jpg

10438557_10205037580078787_77837924040281458_n.jpg

That's a nice kit. I see that you have it set up the right way too. At least I set mine up that way.

A couple of new additions to my Yamaha family. Setting up for a wedding this afternoon, took a few pictures. I thought the Copper Sparkle MCAN was a good choice for an autumn wedding.

New adds are a Subkick (always wanted one, saw a new one on blowout price so I grabbed it) - and the snare that several of you said I needed to try, and a perfect match for the Copper MCAN : a 5.5 x 14 seamless copper snare. Wow. I love it. I only own 2 metal snares but this just might be my overall #1. Definitely in my top three ever.

I have found the Subkick to be more effective for recording…but on live gigs where we are using a big PA in a big room with big subs…yeah, it makes a difference. Of course, its meant to supplement another mic- in this pic, there is a Shure SM91 in the kick. I find the SM91/Subkick is a nice combo…in the studio too. Actually, haven't done a lot of experimenting with this, but I would imagine you could get away with almost any 'inside' mic, as you're relying on the Subkick for the real down low :)>
I swear, this will help put people on the dance floor tonight (not that we need extra help, ahem)

Attachments

• IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    388.4 KB · Views: 1,473
  • IMG_0827.JPG
    IMG_0827.JPG
    364.9 KB · Views: 1,467
  • IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    400 KB · Views: 1,466
Nice kit - nice pics.

The lighting really plays with those sparkles.

+1, the kit looks great under the lights.

Neal, awesome that you got the seamless copper! I have the 5.5 and also had the piccolo but sold it. Love the 5.5 but the piccolo just didn't sound different enough to justify having both. If I had to sell all of my snares and just keep a couple. it would be this copper and my 7x14 RC (another great snare).

By the way, what's up with your Birch Absolute project?

Bruce

Attachments

• Yamaha Copper1.JPG
    Yamaha Copper1.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 1,443
+1, the kit looks great under the lights.

Neal, awesome that you got the seamless copper! I have the 5.5 and also had the piccolo but sold it. Love the 5.5 but the piccolo just didn't sound different enough to justify having both. If I had to sell all of my snares and just keep a couple. it would be this copper and my 7x14 RC (another great snare).

By the way, what's up with your Birch Absolute project?

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. Yes, I'm loving the seamless copper. I used to have one of the newer Nouveau Copper snares, and I really liked that one too - but this older, seamless model is a different animal. I'm sure not having a seam is only part of the picture.
I was in Ottawa playing a gig a coupe months ago and saw a seamless 6.5. Almost bought it…but wow, it was heavy. I know it's only an inch difference but it seemed quite a bit heavier than mine. I'm glad I held out. The 5.5 certainly does not lack anything in the "body" or depth in sound department. Yours is in much better shape, mine is dinged up a bit. $300 used was a fair price I thought. Normally that bothers me a bit (I like to keep my stuff in shiny good shape) but I don't care in this case.

Birch Absolutes are still on layaway. Waiting to get the rest of the funds…about a month, maybe two. I also have the vintage D20 kit on the way soon. So many drums….so little time

Thanks Bruce. Yes, I'm loving the seamless copper. I used to have one of the newer Nouveau Copper snares, and I really liked that one too - but this older, seamless model is a different animal. I'm sure not having a seam is only part of the picture.
I was in Ottawa playing a gig a coupe months ago and saw a seamless 6.5. Almost bought it…but wow, it was heavy. I know it's only an inch difference but it seemed quite a bit heavier than mine. I'm glad I held out. The 5.5 certainly does not lack anything in the "body" or depth in sound department. Yours is in much better shape, mine is dinged up a bit. $300 used was a fair price I thought. Normally that bothers me a bit (I like to keep my stuff in shiny good shape) but I don't care in this case.

Birch Absolutes are still on layaway. Waiting to get the rest of the funds…about a month, maybe two. I also have the vintage D20 kit on the way soon. So many drums….so little time

D20? Tell me more :D

Sad day, sold my Yamaha Oak Customs. They served me well but I needed to downsize. Getting older and trying to lighten my load as much as possible. Picked up a DW Performance kit.

Saw on another forum that some people think those are the last of the Club Customs. Not sure about that though. I've never even heard them, but I've heard good comments about them.

Sad day, sold my Yamaha Oak Customs. They served me well but I needed to downsize. Getting older and trying to lighten my load as much as possible. Picked up a DW Performance kit.

Saw that. Maybe you'll pick up another Yamaha set in the future. Enjoy the DW's for now though.

Well - you guys got me nervous about the kit I got having Nouveau lugs. I remembered reading something about the Stage Customs having some problems with those synthetic lugs.
I don't play gigs, and try to treat my stuff good, but seeing as how this set is going to be a long term keeper, I didn't want to take any chances.

There was a used 14" Birch Absolute Nouveau floor tom available locally. Went to look at it, and while it had some of that pitting on the hoops and a few scratches, I picked it up.
Mostly to have spare lugs, but I've also gotten a little used to having an extra floor tom to keep my incidentals on - LOL
I traded a bass guitar that I had paid $180 for, plus $75, so $255 plus tax.
Maybe a little on the high side, but I wasn't using the bass at all. I've got others that get much more use.

Anyways, when I got it home and took it apart to clean it, (which I always do), I discovered that the lower hoop was bent and a little out of round.
It surprised me how easily it bent back into shape.
I just found the bent spot, put a board under it, held down one side with a foot and stepped gently on the other side.

I wasn't expecting it, but they sound very much alike. The Birch a tad bit brighter at about the same tension. Both sound really, really good.
I'm not sure what the finish is called on the Birch one.
Anyways, here's a couple pics - Birch on the left, Maple on the right.:

Last edited:
Well - you guys got me nervous about the kit I got having Nouveau lugs. I remembered reading something about the Stage Customs having some problems with those synthetic lugs.
I don't play gigs, and try to treat my stuff good, but seeing as how this set is going to be a long term keeper, I didn't want to take any chances...

Wildbill I wouldn't worry too much about the nouveau lugs, I've had my nouveau kit for over 7 yrs.....never had any issues with the lugs...the only ones that had issues were the synthetic lugs on the SC's...

I'm not worried about it now - I've got spares - LOL

I went on Yamaha's site, and I'm pretty sure the finish on the tom I got is called ' Honey Yellow '.

Looks good, but it's kind of shiny, glossy, and thick compared to the Vintage Natural finish. I like the Natural better.

I went on Yamaha's site, and I'm pretty sure the finish on the tom I got is called ' Honey Yellow '.

Looks good, but it's kind of shiny, glossy, and thick compared to the Vintage Natural finish. I like the Natural better.

Nice addition to your new set! I had to do a double take to notice the difference of finishes. Close enough. Like you say, mixing MCAN and BCAN is not a problem…I do it all the time. They sound very close.

Neal

They're both 14's, but the maple tunes low enough that the birch fits nicely in pitch between the 12 on the bass and the 14 on the floor.

Doesn't seem logical on the pitch to size thing, but I pounded out some tribal tom type stuff today that was rockin' my world.

The finish is actually called Honey Amber.

Back