Renown Dirt Cheap

Nice drums. Nice price. I like Gretsch too, BUT how does one predict they will be collectors? Just because they're Gretsch, or the black/white?
In the 1960's would Ludwig have predicted their drums would be collectors?

I'm saying collectors because they only made a few hundred sets of each color. Hard to tell but that's my guess.

I agree with our mayor that these will be collectors kits someday.

I was sure of it at first. But I'm thinking that these are pretty 'era specific' - 1957. And associated with an automobile.
Most people who can relate to that directly will be of an age when they might not care about drums as much before too long.
And I'm not sure how many people in the future will say 'I want those drums because my grandpa or great grandpa used to have a car like that'.

Sad, but maybe true - LOL

EDIT: removed that 'super sale' price - it was for 8 hours only.

Last edited:
The fact that they were made in limited production and they didn't sell that well will make them collectable.
Like the famous Ford Edsel.

The fact that they were made in limited production and they didn't sell that well will make them collectable.
Like the famous Ford Edsel.

You're probably right. Hard to tell for sure, but they're quirky and unique enough, and they seem to be built really well enough to hold up over the long haul if taken care of.

Well, I got my blue/white 4 piece bop kit last week for $748 including shipping. I love em and am so happy. The sound is incredible for something at this price. OK, so they weren't selling well but I'm sure they sold a few last month and before for the $1,400-1,500 asking price. My local shop ahd my exact kit on the floor last month for 2x what I just paid for it. My first kit was a Gretsch Catalina birch and I was really disappointed in the sound. But the Renowns won me back. They sound like being hugged with a big warm blanket. Get em while they last. The blues are it. The black and reds are just ok, look wise. My relatives are from Detroit and yeah, the blue/white combo takes me back. Coney Islands, Vernor's and Tiger Stadium. Those were the days :)

I've been thinking about these kits a lot lately (because of this forum - ha ha).

I think there's a few things that make them unique and an outstanding buy.
First, of course, is the looks and design.
The hoops are something I don't think you'll find on anything else in this price range.
Same things go for the high quality snare.
Then there's the bop history of Gretsch, and the possibility that these kits might be in much greater demand in the future, than at the present.

If my plate weren't already full with drums, I think this would be pretty much of a no-brainer.

This is crazy! You guys in the States are lucky!

The value of these drums will probably only increase over time, so in tough economic times like these it would almost be a sin not to buy a set!!

Not even mentioning what a great set this is! Played one at my local music store and it sounded amazing!!

Then there's the bop history of Gretsch, and the possibility that these kits might be in much greater demand in the future, than at the present.

Ya but think about it , Gretsch bop kits are from the 1950's, 60's.... and so are 50 - 60 years old now. This means the Renown 57's will be collectible hot items 50 - 60 years from now, in 2060. Buying them now (which I fully endorse!), will only make them a great 'collectors' for one's grand kids.

Of course today I bought the Renown 6.5 x 14 maple snare, in black, for a great price, these firesale prices. Appears Gretsch is not continuing them and moving stock.
If they are to be collectors as you all assert, then my unborn grandkids got something out of it, and I have a sweet snare for the next little while.

Dealers couldn't give away Plymouth and dodge super birds back in the day and look at them now.
Renowned are nice sets they will always be worth something.

Back