Gretsch Renown Jazz with Meinl Byzance

Cameo

Gold Member
Here it is. No more artsy pictures... the cymbals are artsy themselves. More pictures are coming this weekend, borrowing my sisters camera, high quality HD-pictures will have you looking forward to something. I have a Gibraltar 8606 stand and some new heads on the way also. I'm as happy as I could be right now!

Gretsch Renown Maple Jazz in Dark Walnut
18" x 14" bass drum - EMAD Coated, Remo Ambassador
12" x 8" and 14" x 14" toms - Remo Ambassador, Evans G1

DW6700
DW6710
DW9002

Meinl Byzance Extra Dry 14" Medium Hi-Hat
Meinl Byzance Extra Dry 18" Thin Crash
Meinl Byzance Traditional 20" Extra Thin Hammered Crash

384091_2177237122025_1579798429_1590603_873619104_n.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking kit! I'd love to see a shot of that finish in some better lighting. And how old is the kit? I've never seen a 14x18 bass drum or Dark Walnut as a finish for Renowns in any of my Gretsch price-books...

Pictures are coming, I just have so much in shcool right now. The Jazz kits are special editions for Europe, also the Dark Walnut finish.

Nice little set-up there! I like those cymbals. Trying to build a collection of Byzance cymbals myself.

what a wonderful kit, the renown jazz paired with byzances - just wonderful, could only guess at the great sounds...

Wonder if these will be seen as collector's item in the future?
Here's one more picture. I like the new snare heads, Remo CS Dot and Ambassador Snare, but they are buzzing more. Have to check that out, any tips? The snare wires are pretty bad...

379148_2204766010230_1579798429_1600275_1240986765_n.jpg

Get yourself some new wires in that case!

Lovely cymbals. I love dry, unlathed cymbals. One of my rides and my hi hat are unlathed and they sound like nothing else on Earth!

Get yourself some new wires in that case!

Lovely cymbals. I love dry, unlathed cymbals. One of my rides and my hi hat are unlathed and they sound like nothing else on Earth!

Thank you! :)
Do you have any suggestion on pre-EQ'dish wires?

I love them aswell. The hi-hats are superb, but a little on the quite side. The crash is also great (though my room isn't optimal for drumming, so the trashy sound is übertrashy in there)

It's my birthday today, also, I hope I can get some many to buy acustic treatment (scene molton looks nice...)

I like to have them low. The resos are turned four times after fingertightening, and the batter is turned two times. Use to have them kind of low even if I'm playing jazz or funk (the kick drum is always tuned for funk, blues, lighter rock) - works really well!

May change the heads sometime. I got Remo Ambassadors on batter and Evans G1 on reso. Then I'll also swap the kick batter and reso. Unported Fiberskyn FA or PS3 on reso, with Evans EMAD (uncoated, right now I have the coated) or PS3 coated.

Please, show me pictures of your kit! :)

Great looking kit man! I'd really like to hear those cymbals. You should put a video up :) And you should try some Puresound wires for you snare, they're awesome!

Also, thanks for commenting on my Youtube video!

Cheers man.

Thank you! :)
Do you have any suggestion on pre-EQ'dish wires?

I love them aswell. The hi-hats are superb, but a little on the quite side. The crash is also great (though my room isn't optimal for drumming, so the trashy sound is übertrashy in there)

It's my birthday today, also, I hope I can get some many to buy acustic treatment (scene molton looks nice...)

Sorry, no advice on the wires. I'm not a great buyer of new wires. I generally just pick up whatever I feel like at the time if I need new ones. Larryace seems to know his stuff there a lot more, perhaps you should shoot him a PM.

Sorry if I'm too late but happy birthday!

I have the Benny Greb Sand Hats, and they are actually a bit too loud for certain
situations! So maybe the extra dry hats would be perfect for quieter situations you say?

Nice cymbals by the way! I have the 18" Extra Dry, too, and I know what you mean,
in certain rooms the trashy sound is almost too much!! But I realize it is a big difference
whether you're the one who plays it or you're listening from some larger distance.

I can imagine - the Extra Dry's really quiet, even in my ~14 sqm room. So you should check 'em out. I hope I can pur the drums upstairs in my room (renovating and stuff, interior design, design is one of my hobbies). The tilting wall should be good for acoustics.

Thank you, MFB! Merry Christmas! :D

Back