Ludwig Legacy gaskets

• Thread starter paradiddle pete
  • Start date
P

paradiddle pete

I've taken all the gaskets off my Ludwig Legacy 100th Anniversary kit, Just didn't like 'em. Feel better now.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the first thing I do when I get a new drum, take anything soft off the shells. They really do mess with the tone. I just throw them away.

I went to take the gaskets of the 13" tom from my Drumcraft kit only to discover that the screws that hold the lug to the shell are too long and the lugs won't sit flush against the shell. I need to get shorter screws or (more realistically) some washers.

...grumble grumble

I went to take the gaskets of the 13" tom from my Drumcraft kit only to discover that the screws that hold the lug to the shell are too long and the lugs won't sit flush against the shell. I need to get shorter screws or (more realistically) some washers.

...grumble grumble

I hear ya! The old Slingerland washers are good as they are not just flat they rise out, maybe give them a try.. The Luddies sound heaps better now the gaskets are gone especially the snare, it pops a sizzles and snaps.. yeah!

I finally took one of the lugs with me to the hardware store and bought a 100 pack of washers. Took all the gaskets off the rack and floor tom, added a washer so the lugs sat flush, tightened everything up and put the heads back on. I tuned the heads just as tight as finger tight as I could get them and gave each drum a tap. They rang out with this very nice, albeit low, note. I was amazed, they sound great and will sound even better when I get them tuned up.

I would have never thought that gaskets could make such a difference. I'm going to get the bass drum this evening.

Back