20" bass in rock applications

Levon Helm used a 14x20 Yamaha Absolute Birch Nouveau on "the midnight ramble sessions". He switched to Slingerland's for the new "Dirt Farmer" album, but he still uses a 14x20 kick.

Ginger Baker's original cream kit had an 11x20 and an 11x22 kick

Heh, I was just going to post that I've just got a second- or third-hand 26x16"! A whole new world of BOOOOOM!

I've never even owned a 20" kick, but I want to replace my Pearls (22" kick) in my studio with DW's or Sonors. You guys are convincing me to consider a 20" kick. I bet they record nice and punchy too.

My new kit will feature 18x18" or 18x20" kicks. My brother-in-law's Premier kit has a 20" that thuds real nice with nothing but air in it. Besides, I have microphones with me. I could make a pair of 16s work if I needed.

God bless EMAD.

20 inch is more than fine for any type of playing, I like 22" as well but I personally play a 20". My last kit (Gretsch) had an 18" and man it sounded so sweet, several years ago I was playing with a group that shared shows at various locations with 2 other bands, it was kind of a circuit that allowed you to play and promote yourself; you generally only got a recording of your set out of it but it was an interesting experience.. Anyway, if you were the showcase that night the other guys played your drum kit, this one band was into heavy metal and the drummer was real concerned that he wasn't going to sound good. All the shows were recorded and we had live mics on the kit as well, I assured him he would be very surprised and sure enough, once he got used to the idea and dove into his tunes it sounded killer and tight, and then when he heard the recording he really was impressed. So botom line, a 20" inch does the job.

I used to play a 20"x14" Ludwig Classic Maple kick, it sounded fantastic but didn't hold up as well as a 22" does in some louder rock settings (un-mic'd), IMO.

It was much easier to tune and haul around than even a 22", which *really* isn't much bigger.

My limited expreience shows that a sound person at your average club has no problems making a 20" sound just huge for rock applications. Some might even prefer 'em, as they're easier to distill the "punch" from on the sound board. Any soundpeople/ engineers want to chime in? Even small venues unmiked can be a success if you are tuned right and hit cleanly, not burying the beater. I play a 20"x20", and find it suitable for all sorts of crap...

Back or front seat for the Bass really depends on if my girlfriend is attending said gig or not ;)

I don't think she would appreciate riding second fiddle to the bass drum, although many days I would love to have her ride in the TRUNK :D
My wife does it all the time (ride in the backseat) or she says home LOL. we met while I was gigging so she understands.

Bonzolead

I have 20 x 14 in both my kits and it gets the job done. The church gig I play in every week has brick or plaster walls, so the 20 inch kick works great. It sounds nice and punchy, but not overbearing. Of course it would be fun to experiment with a larger drum...

To Wolfgang....I just have to respond to your avatar picture. It's been around for a long time. My cousin used to carry it around in his wallet 40 years ago. He liked to show it around and tell everyone it was his wife. The usual reaction was either shock or pity.

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if any of you know of any rock (punk, hard rock?) drummers that use a 20" inch kick.
I know that a while ago 20" bass drums were a little more common in rock bands (Mitch Mitchell, Ringo), but that have been because drummers really didn't have much choice as to what sizes kits came in.
Now you can get a drum in just about any size you want, but are there any that use one by choice?

For the record, I use a 20"er and I can't complain. It doesn't have the boom of bigger drums but it's nice and punchy. Not to mention easy to gig with.

Looks like a 22 " for sure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PSpQBnIJbk

Tim Alexander (Primus) uses a 20 on the LEFT and an 18 on the right. Bang-a-rang. I've used both these sizes and it's pretty sweet. I have a 22x18 Yamaha Maple absolute, a 20x14 no name maple drum from the 70's, and an 18x16 Yamaha RC floor tom that I turned into a bass drum, none of which have "jazz" tunings. It's always fun to decide which one to bring out, they all offer something, but lately the 20 has been leading the pack. And since it's a p.o.s. at it's core it has some sorta crazy soul behind it, and I don't have to treat it as gingerly. The 22 is just a bitch to bring out(but it sounds great), although I do lug it anytime I play a bigger venue. My next kit will have a 20x18(amongst some other cool sizes), or maybe even a 20x20. I am just loving the feel of a 20. I theorize it's cause the kit I cut my teeth on for the first 5 years had a 20...
Also, Danny Carey of Tool uses a 20 and a 22, but I think for him the bigger drum is on the right. I could be wrong.

I believe he uses a 22x18 right next to a 24x18.

Hey does anyone have pics of a 20" kick with 12 and 14 rack with 16 floor?? Im curious about this set up. I currently play a tama superstar 1985 with 16x 24 kick 14x12 rack and 16x16 floor. I like the sounds of everything but gigging wise, that 24" is a monster trying to fit into my 86 cutlass. I play everything from country, blues, classic rock and modern rock. Thanks guys and gals!

Steve Gorman used a 20" kick on the Black Crowes' Southern Harmony and Musical Companion album as well as their current album Warpiant. Not sure if he ever used one live though.

Back