Vinnie Colaiuta Lick!

meandhimcallitus

I was wondering if someone is willing to tell me/transcribe what the hell Vinnie is doing at the beginning. I know its a half-time shuffle groove but theirs some metric-modulation around the 5th measure and I can't seem to get my head around it.
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks, ahead of time

Here It is:
Karizma- Five-Storks
http://www.houseofdrumming.com/mp3s/karizma_five_storks.mp3

Vinnie Colaiuta

im trying to isolate the drum part in a music editing program, give me a bit and ill get it, unless someone beats me to it. Its either 5 against 6 or a real fast 4 against 3. I dig this tune.

Derrick

This is a major B!T@# !! haha, vinnie rules. I know what hes doing though. The phrase is in a triplet 6 feel but he breaks that and plays the hihat on top in a fast 4 with offbeat accents all over the place. This might take awhile.... but its fun.

After i get it down on paper ill try and post a midi file

Derrick

Wow thanks derrick. You almost got it down perfect and probably the closest am going to get. Thanks

There is a full transcription of that thing at www.terradrummica.de

There are some more transcriptions there from Vinnie, Dave Weckl, Dave DiCenso and others. Check it out.

SickRick said:
There is a full transcription of that thing at www.terradrummica.de

There are some more transcriptions there from Vinnie, Dave Weckl, Dave DiCenso and others. Check it out.

Hey Rick,

That's one nice site. The transciptions are really cool! I just spent the last 45 minutes working on the first 10 bars of this Vinnie song. I doubt that I would have gotten it in 3 hours without the transcription. (Especially bar 9! 32nd notes phrased in 5's. Sick!!!)

Vinnie's command of time is mastery in action.

Wow that website is sick
I'll start trying to attempt after I take a shower
Thanks
Btw is that your website Rick?

meandhimcallitus said:
Wow that website is sick
I'll start trying to attempt after I take a shower
Thanks
Btw is that your website Rick?

May I answer, Lutz? No it's not his website, and he's not called Rick. As you probably just worked out :)

Womble said:
May I answer, Lutz? No it's not his website, and he's not called Rick. As you probably just worked out :)

I knew it was my man Lutz, I just didn't know if he wanted to be outed.

Lutz, Much respect on those trancriptions, nice work. You are a helluva player/teacher.

Thanks - but the credits for the Vinnie stuff has to go to Wolfgang Schüler whose site it is.

He upped some of my stuff too, you can see it right in the news part of it. I have some of my transcriptions on there - especially the Eric Truffaz one is insane (it was insane to transcribe and its insane to play, trust me.).

Check out Wolfgangs books - great stuff in them, I have the second one and its kicking butt.

BTW - sorry for the weird name thing - Sticktrick/SickRick/Lutz its all one person. But I think most people around here knew this already.

While Vinnie is un-Godly sick, and does SOOOOOOO many things that are amazing....

If you're not ready for what he's doing there in the beginning of that tune.....it sounds like a mistake and out of time.

Sometimes super fun / cool / sick stuff doesn't necessarily sound right at first....

Wierd isnt' it?

Hahah yeah, Karizma are pretty amazing, In my opinion anything Vinnie touches turns gold...
I suggest you pick up Karizma "Document" its a live cd thats just mind blowing

This appears to be quite an old thread and I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but I've found that the "easiest" way to play the fast 32nd note five groupings (if anything Vinnie plays could ever be described as easy) is to use a series of continuous stroke rolls with the bass drum accents on the single strokes... if that make sense. The sticking for the mind bending part would therefore be, one seven stroke roll (first bass drum accent on the first double stroke, second on the single) followed by three five strke rolls with the bass accent on each single, like so : RRLLRRLRRLLRLLRRLRRLLR -
B B B B B - (These rolls are played as continuous 32nd notes).
There are now two more 32nd notes (played LL) followed by two 16th notes, the first being a single right hand stroke on the high hat, and the second being the final bass drum accent. The last stroke is the fourth crotchet of bar 9, left hand coming down on snare and right hand on high hat... and that's all there is to it!
So... the full pattern is: RRLL RRLRRLLRLLRRLRRLLRLL R R
B B B B B B S
(end of (16s) (4th crotchet)
bar 8) (---------------------bar 9 ------------------------)
I hope this makes sense, it's the best way I can explain it.

Back