16th Accents and Doubles

KamaK

Platinum Member
There were a couple things I was having difficulty with, mainly grooves containing 16th note patterns on the hat where accents fall on the left hand. My instructor is having me add the following to my daily practice routine for the next month.

XK3BDuP.jpg

Is there anything I should be adding to this? I'm doing the same for triplets patterns as well.

That looks pretty good to me. My teacher had me work some similar stuff. One additional thing we did was hold quarter notes with the bass drum while doing those types of accent exercises. Once you get that down, and you're moving the accents to the toms, you can start following the accents with your bass drum... stuff like that makes for some cool sounding, syncopated fills.

Last year I purchased John Favicchia's book "Elements." It has helped me a lot with using these combinations (which he refers to as elements) in grooves and fills. It starts simple and gets pretty advanced so I'd recommend it for anyone. Your teacher's notes reminded me of John's method.

Back