Found anything new lately?

jivadayadasa

Today came home from work for lunch, wasn't feeling that great but managed to play set for about an hour. Pretty uneventful, didn't really have a lot of energy but did some singles practice and a couple of Glen Sobel style linear grooves in slow mo but overall a pretty lackluster session.

Anyway tonight I get home late, I'm in the mood to play and I go downstairs to play "just a little" and I somehow decide, as I sit down, to try to learn one of my favorite Omar-lots-of-grace-notes grooves open handed and it goes surprisingly well! Then fooling around a bit, wham, I fall ass backwards into an open/closed hi-hat ostinato I don't remember ever having played before! It's kind of a halftime shuffle feel that works the hat pedal in a different way. It's awesome for me because I have discovered something completely new to me on my own! Usually I hear something cool, or read something in someone's book and go after it or someone turns me on to something specific - but not tonight - this has really given me a much needed spark.

Of course, it's not the holy grail of grooves, but it's MY holy grail for where I'm at right now. Has this happened to you lately?

Jiva

yes!!! a couple months ago this happened to me i sat down at the kit and all of a sudden i kinda kicked into this crazy 3 with the left hand 5 with the right hand between the ride snare and hi hats overtop of 8th note triplets on the bass. took me a min to realize what i was doing but i was like " omg body where the hell was i when you learned to do this and why didnt you tell me?!?" lol

It happens a lot to me, because I try to only spend time in the practice room on things that I'm terrible at. I encourage myself to try new ideas that way.

Back