Double Bass Pedal Techniques

I got a double bass drum pedal yesterday and set it up. I am ok using it but I want to know more than just doing left,right,left,right with the pedals.

Not much use for any other stuff then rlrlrlrl. Most people eon't here nuances on the kick anyway.

You can always do the rudiments but I would concentrate on doing singles down there while doing other stuff on top. You will use that wsy more then doing paradiddles in the kick.

Practicing rudiments can really unlock a lot of control and speed on the kick.

But even RLRL can be quite complex when you start breaking it up with rests and things, you can do all sorts of patterns that require some effort to execute cleanly.

There are endless patterns where you mainly play RLRL but require something like R RLRL R RLRL. The guitar solo section of FFDP "Back for More" does this, and for some reason this particular beat it's a real challenge for me. The R followed by RLRL messes with my balance on the throne, of all things.

R RLRL R s R ... R R RLRL RLRs R ... R R RLRL R s R ... R R RLRs ... R R R R
R RLRL R s R ... R R RLRL RLRs R ... R R RLRL R s R ... R R RLRs ... R R R R

(the s is snare)

Starts at 2:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K23a67UyhZ8

Chris Adler mixes it up on double bass in "Something to Die For".
Excellent drum cover with foot cam here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OWxpMOlsLs

Last edited:
1. The single stroke roll is by far the most useful rudiment for double pedal work.
2. The state of the art right now in double pedal playing requires having an excellent single stroke roll that can be used at any time, in any circumstance, as well as the ability to seamlessly incorporate hands and feet together so that all 4 limbs are used in beats, fills etc.

If you just got the double pedal you need to spend about 3/4 of your time on the single stroke roll and the rest on hand foot combos.

For hand foot combos start with RH, RF, LF as a triplet. get it fast and smooth.

Go from there and work on getting a seamless flow between hands and feet.

Good luck, you have years of work ahead of you.

Paradiddles and mixes of them are necessary to move around the kit with certain limbs hitting certain voices at certain times.
On a kick , you aren't moving anything (your right foot isn't going to hit a tom or a ride) so single strokes are all thst is needed.

I use the same 'sticking' as when I learned to read drum music on a snare drum--I use my feet in a 'root sticking' pattern when for all notes except triplets, and alternate when there are triplets.

Back