Yamaha Tour Kit Conversion

Man, you are so creative. Those drums look sweet. I'm sure you'll enjoy them. I've still got my 88 model, power tour customs. They've always sounded great. They look funny now days though. But power toms will be back again. It all goes around. Right now 70's concert toms are coming back. So I guess power toms are next. Great job!

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread!

I'd love to know how you colour matched the hoops to the rest of the kit - I too am looking to recreate a mellow yellow lacquer for a yamaha kit I'm getting resprayed and am struggling to find a commercially available equivalent.

Any insight you could give would be great.

Wow, yeah this is a 7 year old thread. I mentioned in one of the posts that I used Rustoleum High Gloss Enamel for the hoops. This was in spray cans. Since I was only painting the hoops I wasn't really that concerned with an exact match. I just prefer bass drum hoops that are the same color as the shell, so I wanted a yellow that was somewhat close to the shell lacquer.

Although it looks like a match in the photos (and it does look nice in person), the hoops came out a bit darker than the original. I would say if you are just painting the hoops you could try doing what I did. If you are painting any of the shells, I would recommend a more sophisticated spraying method.

Back