TOP SECRET DRUM CORPS VIDEO

bernhard

Founder Drummerworld
Staff member
Just added a Video from the Show of the Top Secret Drumcorps here in Basel - Switzerland.

http://www.drummerworld.com/watchlistdrummers/Top_Secret_Drum_Corps.html

The "Top Secret" Drum Corps comes from Basel - Switzerland - also the home of Drummerworld.
So proud of you guys!!!! - Bernhard Castiglioni

topsecretmain.jpg

That was MIND BLOWING. It's not hard to see why so many consider the Swiss to be the elite in marching percussion! Thank you so much for sharing this Mr. Castiglioni!

..........WOW!!!!!!!

It's hard to believe Top Secret was shunned by the Basel Drumming Society because of their style until there success at Edinburgh in 2003. Proof that success wins favor.

These guys are amazing but they sure work hard for it.

http://www.topsecretbasel.ch/topsecretbasel/Top-Secret-Die-Show/Top-Secret-Die-Show.html

Bernhard, can you enlighten us on the controversies?

BTW, a Basel native? Cool and fortunate.

It is because they broke away from the traditions of the age old Basel drum schools based on the traditions, style and musical approach to the instrument developed by the late Dr. Fritz Berger shown in this relatively current example at a solo drum competition in Basel during fascnacht of what many {myself included} still consider the one and only "classic" Swiss Basel drumming sound. Nothing else like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck8_E46hgAA

Very different snare drumming conceptually and musically speaking isn't it........

Thanks for the latest clip B. More related to the American snare marching school IMO but none the less amazing everytime time I hear them.

That's the reason I play drums. Is there any better sound anywhere than a drum line. I remember coming out of the old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore Maryland after a Maryland Univ. football game just as the drum line was leading the band back to their buses and they were playing a simple cadence and it was loud but it got my blood moving. My son said something to the affect of what a great sound. Thanks Bernhard. And I'll be the first to ask where do I get the burning snare sticks. Wow.

It is because they broke away from the traditions of the age old Basel drum schools based on the traditions, style and musical approach to the instrument developed by the late Dr. Fritz Berger shown in this relatively current example at a solo drum competition in Basel during fascnacht of what many {myself included} still consider the one and only "classic" Swiss Basel drumming sound. Nothing else like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck8_E46hgAA

Very different snare drumming conceptually and musically speaking isn't it........

Thanks for the latest clip B. More related to the American snare marching school IMO but none the less amazing everytime time I hear them.

I agree, very different. How much of that difference comes from AO's John Bossworth?

No offense, but IMO the Basel Society has a very "snobbish" attitude when it comes to "the tradition" over "the drumming." It's very predominant in symphonic drumming also.

No doubt though that when it comes to stick control, Basel's all about it. ppp to FFF really means something and it's great to hear. Also great to see the long drums and the traditional standing still while playing. Too many think what your clip shows is done while marching. It can be, but a lot is given up in the exchange.

Regardless of it all, I love hearing AO, Top Secret, Basel and the Scots. They're all both humbling and motivating.

Thanks again Bernhard and Steamer.

BTW, do you know if JoJo was ever part of any of th Basel competitions? If he was, are there any clips or soundtracks available? His early bio's that Ive seen are thin concerning his early days.

That's the reason I play drums. Is there any better sound anywhere than a drum line. .

Nope. I'm right there with you also. I remember my first college football game. It was only Eastern Michigan University, and not a school known for a drumline, but I was hooked.

It's great, but for me I'll take a 500 member batucada anyday. ;-)

ditto KIS sentiment.

Ignorance was very blissful here.. would love to know what Spleen thinks of this? Spleen, come in, bud?

ditto KIS sentiment.

Ignorance was very blissful here.. would love to know what Spleen thinks of this? Spleen, come in, bud?

Aydee!

Actually, I'm at home today (Labor Day in the U.S.) with only dial-up internet (one of the drawbacks of living out here in the boonies). But, I'm eager to check this out tomorrow when I get into the office!

Always nice to be thought of Abe--thanks for "calling me out!"

spleen

Back