reccomend me a snare

There are a lot of options here in Europe. In the UK and in Germany I can think of a few great options. All depends on your budget and what sound you are after.

Go to a music store though and try some of the snares out. Of course they might not be tuned how you prefer but it should give you an idea of what they sound like. Also take a close look at finish, heads, hardware and so forth. All these small things in my opinion affect the sound.

Hi Guys

So far i have looked at a premier hi-fi (14x5.5), a pearl masters custom (14x6.5) and a pork pie little squeeler (13x7)...

anyone used any of these?

cheers

rich

I think your initial instincts are pretty good. The Ludwig Black Magic is also the same shell made by Worldmax which also makes their own version and would give you another option. These drums all sound similar to the Ludwig Black Beauty if thats the sound you are looking for.

Since you are in the UK, I would also consider a Premier 2000 steel shell drum. Great drum that can be had cheap!

If you want one drum that will cover the most applications, I still say you can't beat the Ludwig Supraphonic line. The aluminum shells are my favorite, with the bronze being about a dead heat. the acrolites are also awesome. If you need a wood drum, we're in a whole new ball park. Still like Ludwig classic maples!

My reccomendation for a reasonable wood snare: I have a Tama Artwood Maple 14 x 5.5 that is fantastic and has recieved many compliments. I play it with a mid range tuning and an Evans EC batter so it has buckets of fatness. I use this in a rock n roll/blues group and it works very well.

It's a pretty versatile drum, too. I could crank it up for more pop if I wanted (though my Meridian snare fills that role now anywhat).

These snares don't break the bank.

I had a look at the metal works.... great price as new! But i wasnt too keen on it!

I thinki have narrowed it down between a Pearl Masters Custom (14x6.5, £150) and a Pork Pie little Squeeler (13x7, £120ish)

cant decide though!

I had a look at the metal works.... great price as new! But i wasnt too keen on it!

I thinki have narrowed it down between a Pearl Masters Custom (14x6.5, £150) and a Pork Pie little Squeeler (13x7, £120ish)

cant decide though!

then get both! that what I do! LOL

To bad Crush drums are not to mainstream over there, I just picked up a Brushed aluminum 6.5 x 14 and am absolutely amazed by it, the sound the build quality and I got it for an awesome price! I have a couple 13" snares and like them but tend to stick to 14's

haha.... I would if my next upgrade wasnt my shell pack! il save the extra money for that!

what would you go for... the squeeler or the masters?

If you want a brass sound, the Pork Pie black brass are brilliant drums and fantastic value for money. In a blind test with a 70s Black Beauty (same heads, same snares, same tuning) 5 drummers said it was a dead heat. If you are gigging don't get anything you are too precious about, especially considering how all that expensive nuance in sound will be lost through a PA (haven't we all heard great gear sound bad through PA's, even at top-notch venues played by world-class drummers).

Pearl MCX is a great pro quality maple snare!

Back