First Influential Drummer?

larryz

Platinum Member
OK, this may be corny, but name first drummer that made you think "wow" (or whatever..) drums are cool..

This really dates me, but Phil Ehart of Kansas. I always thuoght my fellow 8th grade students were nuts to think Neil Peart was a better drummer simply because he appeared to drum 'faster'...

Actually, I am a born again fan of Ehart. Still with Kansas. Still pretty awesome at what he does.

Comments, quips, quibbles? Thanks and have a good day :)

Sean Reinert (Cynic) way back when I was still playing guitar in high school.

and then more recently was Danny Carey, that sparked the interest in actually learning to play the drums.

First off, I must say - Phil Rudd.

Then John Bonham, Ian Paice, Bill Ward, Clive Burr.

I played along to various artists when I was a kid, but I was never really into who played drums at that time. The first drummer I can remember knowing about and being impressed by was Tre Cool, when he came completely out of nowhere (at least over here) with his playing on Green Day's Basket Case.

I remember thinking it was the fastest and coolest drumming I'd ever heard. Even though I now realise that it's actually pretty standard punk drumming, that song still has a very special place in my heart because of the drumming.

This would have been around 1993-94, I suppose (which would make me 13-14). Ironically, at this point I'd more or less abandoned the drums and become a guitar player. However, I always kept idolising drummers even through my guitar playing years, and I finally picked up the sticks again around 2002.

Last edited:
Ringo was it for me. I used to hit any surface with anything resembling a stick along to my collection of Beatles records (they're still my all-time favorite band).

Then I finally managed to get a hold of an actual drumset in '81 and Neil Peart was it. Keith Moon and Stewart Copeland were right in there too. Soon after I met some kids who were really into fusion so I started getting in Mahavishnu, Dregs, Return To Forever, and all that stuff.

It was a loooong time before I found my way back to The Beatles.

I remember being a little kid (probably 4 or 5 y/o) and seeing the classic Ed Sullivan footage of The Beatles doing "She Loves You". I was too young to really understand what was going on, I just knew I really liked that song as a kid, and seeing Ringo sitting down was a big thing for some reason. Watching the rest of the fella's standing up and kind of jerking around awkwardly while they're playing and then seeing Ringo sitting and holding it down. I just remember thinking, "aWwWw that's cool, he get's to sit down".

And I hate to say it, but Lars Ulrich of Metallica. Growing up and seeing the video for "One" and that part where they cut to Lars' feet working that double bass floored me. The thing was I had never seen double bass in action, and at that time I hadn't the slightest idea how to play drums.

There was also a program on MTV (right before they went completely pop oriented) about or on Metallica. I specifically recall it was around there S&M/orchestra backed days. But MTV had this little short interview with Lars, and he basically explained really briefly and concisely how to play a basic 4 count drum beat. That was the first and only lesson I've ever had, and it literally ended up changing my life.

Gene Krupa for me. My parents had a few of his albums and the Gene Krupa Story soundtrack in their collection, and my brother had a set of drums, so I was really keyed into drumming well before I started taking lessons. But between discovering Gene and the lessons, the Beatles arrived, and I had an additional incentive to want to play drums. I still cite Ringo and Gene as two of my biggest influences.

Bermuda

From one Larry to another...It's funny, Phil Ehart was my second known influence. I am still influenced by him. The first was Danny Seraphine. I am still influenced by him too.

In the beginning Deep Purple created Machine Head. And the spirit of Ian Paice hovered over my room and I performed every technical error known to drummerhood in order to play Fast like Ian.

Then my record collection said let there be Aynsley Dunbar. And there was Pinups. And there was my first triplet.

Then there was War Pigs and, lo, Bill Ward emerged from the swamp. And his fills became mine.

And above the swamp flew Good Times Bad Times with that groovy thing he does with cowbell and kick drum and then there was Bonzo.

And I saw that it was good. And then I needed instrumental music because I found music distracting when doing schoolwork. I bought Birds of Fire and, behold, Billy Cobham emerged. And I saw that I was bad ...

Gene Krupa for me. My parents had a few of his albums and the Gene Krupa Story soundtrack in their collection, and my brother had a set of drums, so I was really keyed into drumming well before I started taking lessons. But between discovering Gene and the lessons, the Beatles arrived, and I had an additional incentive to want to play drums. I still cite Ringo and Gene as two of my biggest influences.

Bermuda

When I first read your post I was thinking, "man how old is this guy, like 80?" :p

But actually it was for me as well. I guess I am old, too. It was seeing The Gene Krupa Story and hearing The Original Drum Battle.I loved Krupa's mashed potato roll and I still love Gene Krupa because it was all style, and the same goes for Ringo. Style always trumps technical wizardry. Then after that it was Bonham, White, Cobham, Birds of Fire, Pol, and Peart. I still love all those guy's drumming. And I forgot Gadd. Steve Gadd was the guy who really just floored me.

I'm like Larry - I had no idea Danny Seraphine was such an influence. My older brother and sister pretty much controlled the house music when I was a kid. Through Danny I slowly discovered Chick Webb, Big Sid Catlett, and eventually Buddy Rich. And then a host of rockers throughout my lifetime!

To add to the cheesiness.. my first inspiration was actually my dad. He played in a colonial fife and drum corps growing up.

First professional: Jeff Queen, back in my drumline days.

First set player: Buddy Rich.

Now, I'm all about Steve Gadd.

I'm like Larry - I had no idea Danny Seraphine was such an influence. My older brother and sister pretty much controlled the house music when I was a kid. Through Danny I slowly discovered Chick Webb, Big Sid Catlett, and eventually Buddy Rich. And then a host of rockers throughout my lifetime!

Nice name drops. I love Chick Webb. He is definitely my favorite swing drummer.

To add to the cheesiness.. my first inspiration was actually my dad. He played in a colonial fife and drum corps growing up.

First professional: Jeff Queen, back in my drumline days.

First set player: Buddy Rich.

Now, I'm all about Steve Gadd.

Yeah, Gadd is on my list as well. Actually, the first influential drummers for everyone who grew up through the 60s and 70s should be Hal Blaine and Gary Chester. They played on just about everything that was coming out of New York and Los Angeles: one-hit wonders hits, commericials, TV shows....bands....didn't Steve Smith say he was a little disappointed when he found out all his favorite drummers were Hal Blaine?

BTW, and I have to ask - do you have a black Yamaha Recording Custom kit too? ;)

Back in Junior High it was Peter Criss.

Geoff Myers. (Who? Yeah.) Syd Lawrence Orchestra, solo on Leave Us Leap remains THE moment for me. And then, almost the same week, I discovered Zeppelin and DP and ELP and I don't think I've listened to much Big Band ever since.

I grew up in the mid 80's early 90's era. For me at that time it was Tommy Lee. I thought he was the greatest thing ever! Lars Ulrich was another at that time that got my attention. Times have changed and so has my taste. Now a days i'm more of a Steve Gadd, Steve Smith, Billy Cobham kinda guy among a host of current rock/metal drummers.

First real influence for me was Nick Mason... Then I tried to emulate Neil Peart, John Bonham and then Phil Taylor, which lead me to Mikkey Dee; my greatest influence.

Back