DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-14-2015, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

About CymbalShoxs

I tried to buy them from Vic's Drumshop, but it turns out, they can't sell outside the US. (I live in Hungary.) I also tried the Trick Drums website, but they have failed to respond in the last 2 months or so, maybe even longer. Ebay and Amazon contains nothing about Cymbalshox. So basically, on-line ordering Cymbalshox looks impossible for some of us.
Is there a place in London where I can buy these? I'm visiting my friends at the end of March, and I really want to come home with a few of those.

Cheers,
Matthew
Old 02-17-2015, 01:10 PM

Hi Gavin,

thanks for all the time you spend with answering our questions. I attended a clinic in Giessen last year and was fascinated by seeing you perform live. There are two questions I'd like to ask.

In some of your interviews you're stating that you're trying to play and understand the drums not only as a rhythmical instrument but that you think of them as a melodic instrument, too, like a piano or a saxophone. This is a fascinating approach, although not an easy one to grasp for someone like me who is used to hearing and playing drums in pop/rock music. Nevertheless, listening to your and 05Rics songs - which are absolutely brilliant, by the way -, I seem to get an idea of this concept. Did you have this approach early in your career or did it slowly evolve during the years?

Sometimes you're referring to a large collection or library of rhythmical ideas you've collected throughout the years. I'm wondering about how such a library could be organised so that older stuff could be found even when you only have a vague idea of what you're looking for. Do you have a special system for your library and is it digitalized?

Cheers
Tom
(Aachen, Germany)
Old 02-17-2015, 05:59 PM

Hello Gavin,

I would like to thank you for your continuous support! To get answers from your big experience is amazing and so valuable! Concerning the SQ2, I have no more questions (for the moment!).
I wish you a great time!
Flo
(Germany Stuttgart)
Old 02-20-2015, 06:01 PM

Ha Gavin!
I just saw the Vimeo Video. I am so excited to get the DVD!
I could see that you have a new cymbal holder for the 5 little friends to your left. What holder is that? Custom made?
Cheers, Flo
Old 02-24-2015, 11:51 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi szokematyi

About CymbalShoxs
I tried to buy them from Vic's Drumshop, but it turns out, they can't sell outside the US. (I live in Hungary.) I also tried the Trick Drums website, but they have failed to respond in the last 2 months or so, maybe even longer. Ebay and Amazon contains nothing about Cymbalshox. So basically, on-line ordering Cymbalshox looks impossible for some of us.
Is there a place in London where I can buy these? I'm visiting my friends at the end of March, and I really want to come home with a few of those.

thanks for the interest in them. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to get a product into the market and have them appear in shops worldwide. Sorry you're unable to hold of them - I don't know if any shops in London have them either.

Hi tom_ac

In some of your interviews you're stating that you're trying to play and understand the drums not only as a rhythmical instrument but that you think of them as a melodic instrument, too, like a piano or a saxophone. This is a fascinating approach, although not an easy one to grasp for someone like me who is used to hearing and playing drums in pop/rock music. Nevertheless, listening to your and 05Rics songs - which are absolutely brilliant, by the way -, I seem to get an idea of this concept. Did you have this approach early in your career or did it slowly evolve during the years?

I think it's something that I've been feeling for about the last 20 years. It's easy - as a drummer - to get stuck into that frame of mind of just playing beats and fills and never thinking beyond that. It's only when I stopped thinking like a drummer that more unusual and melodic things started to come through.

Sometimes you're referring to a large collection or library of rhythmical ideas you've collected throughout the years. I'm wondering about how such a library could be organised so that older stuff could be found even when you only have a vague idea of what you're looking for. Do you have a special system for your library and is it digitalized?

I suppose it's all in my head (somewhere) but creativity is quite often untidy and comes in random ways. Yes I have a large collection of notation ideas and small films that I've made. Some days I look at them and rearrange my thoughts about how I might use them or develop them. The material that I liked the most has generally worked it's way into my playing anyway - the most important thing is to keep having new ideas.

Hi Florsky

I just saw the Vimeo Video. I am so excited to get the DVD!
I could see that you have a new cymbal holder for the 5 little friends to your left. What holder is that? Custom made?

I found it on Ebay and got it sent over from the States. ( "Camber Quint Chime Holder") I made a couple of small modifications to it - I had to cut the bottom part short to get it over the hi hat - and I changed the washers and installed Sonor nuts on top of the cymbal arms. So far it works well (but I don't know if it's strong enough for touring). It's nowhere near as strong and solid as the Sonor arm - but this thing is light and really cheap!!

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-24-2015, 11:21 PM

Hi Gavin -

I just pre-ordered the CD/DVD-V version of "Cheating the Polygraph" from Burning Shed https://www.burningshed.com/store/ga...duct/192/6399/ .
Did Jakko do the 5.1 mix? Also, do you know if it is a hi-res DVD-A, or does it only have dts/dolby listening options?

Thanks, Mic
Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM

Hey Gavin!

Hope you've been well! It's been ages since I posted on here but I heard the new Steve Wilson album today and couldn't help but notice you were in the liner notes and I was curious what involvement you had in the album.

Cheers!