what happens when you feel you've lost stamina to druM?

lovemysonors

so lately i've been feeling like i can't drum in rock bands much longer, i'm losing my stamina even though i exercise regularly and am in great shape for my age. i'm beginning to like playing more mellow rock tunes, and have been considering both a different genre like soul, r n' b (though i haven't played so don't know if i'd be starting from square one again moving into these genres) OR giving up drums and playing bass (which i've considered for a few years now). either way, i'd be starting from square one, but perhaps not getting so damn tired!

the amount of gear, hauling and physical tiredness from drumming is getting me down!

ever go through this and what have you done as a result??

You are getting old my friend...I'll send your name in as a reference to AARP.
Isn't it nice to mellow.

You are getting old my friend...I'll send your name in as a reference to AARP.
Isn't it nice to mellow.
send it in before i die!

yah, i can't believe doing rehearsals of a song with 16th notes throughout (doing it 4 times) makes me want to call it a night or take a long break...this is sad....

What kind of rock do you play? How old are you? Height and weight?

Get lighter gear or less gear and focus on nutrition. If you excercise regularly, there is no reason why an 80 year old man can't play rock music on a regular basis. Make sure you're getting plenty of iron and B12 in your diet and complex carbohydrates that give you long term energy. Avoid stimulants like caffeine that will make you crash and practice deep breathing excercises before the gig to oxygenate your blood. More iron= higher red blood cell count= higher oxygen capacity in bloodstream. That together with carbs= sustained energy for those heavy gigs.

Getting older blows but it beats the alternative. I would up your cardio work, tone those muscles and eat more healthful food. You should be playing your drums as hard as you like for many years to come.

Get lighter gear or less gear and focus on nutrition. If you excercise regularly, there is no reason why an 80 year old man can't play rock music on a regular basis. Make sure you're getting plenty of iron and B12 in your diet and complex carbohydrates that give you long term energy. Avoid stimulants like caffeine that will make you crash and practice deep breathing excercises before the gig to oxygenate your blood. More iron= higher red blood cell count= higher oxygen capacity in bloodstream. That together with carbs= sustained energy for those heavy gigs.

All great advice, but I do not recommend taking iron supplements. Taking a multivit with plenty of vitamin C will naturally increase a low iron count (if that's the problem). Too much iron can be very dangerous and cause the very symptoms lovemysonors is complaining of. Iron supplements are usually used for menstrating women, so eat right and work that body!

All great advice, but I do not recommend taking iron supplements. Taking a multivit with plenty of vitamin C will naturally increase a low iron count (if that's the problem). Too much iron can be very dangerous and cause the very symptoms lovemysonors is complaining of. Iron supplements are usually used for menstrating women, so eat right and work that body!
sounds like great advice everyone, thanks a lot...looks like i'll be working out and eating better but that's always a good thing, and honestly, if i need physical activity regularly (and i do or else i feel stir crazy), then switching to bass is probably not going to cut it, haha.

Also, technique can come into play here. When you mentioned the 16th note song, my mind automatically pictured you using some really inefficient, choked grip. Don't take this the wrong way, because I don't know you and for all I know, you could be a totally loose drummer, but if you feel uptight when you play, just let the weight of the stick do the work for you. It's all in the fingers at those fast stickings. Just keep an eye on your technique.

Make sure your drums are set up comfortably; your "home position" - kick, hats and snare - should not leave you sitting in an awkward or uncomfortable position. Also, you might wanna looking into a better throne, like one with a backrest if you don't already have one.

Hey, lovemysonors, like the other guys said eat right and regular exercisce will help. If you feel good about yourself you will play good. As I get older my kit gets more basic. I have always played a basic 4 piece kit . Now when I do gigs I use less cymbals( less stuff to lug ). Also sometimes having a break can do you good also. If you are having fun playing in a band then it's a good band to be in. Rock on.

Really, at age 39 to be concerned with a loss in stamina....something isn't right. As long as you're not playing speed metal (which would be understandable, that takes a lot of stamina for a twentysomething person) I think it would be a good idea to reassess your diet, alcohol intake, stress level, smoking situation, exercise ability and make any necessary changes. If you smoke, stop, eat whole foods, start running, have lots of sex, quit alcohol, eliminate stress, that's what I do.

i'm 32 and a Plumber, i do new commercial construction which means some serious physical labour most days, about a year ago i stepped into a gym for the first time ever - i hit the weights hard for 3 months and put on 25 pounds of muscle, now i just work out at home 5 times a week with lighter weights and the treadmill to stay toned and stretch, always stretch!
for me it's this simple - if you are stronger then work is easier.
eat right, excercise and stay loose!
good drumming!

See a doctor before doing anything. Rule out any illness that could be causing your fatigue. Then follow the doctors advice.

Back