My Gretsch Catalina Mods

pearlygates

Gold Member
DaveReggiedrums005.jpg

DaveReggiedrums012.jpg

DaveReggiedrums008.jpg

DaveReggiedrums007.jpg

Since these pix were taken I have cleaned up the edges, sealed the interiors and slapped on all Aquarians ... WOW!

That is a Gretsch Club Mod tattoo paint job. OEM from Gretsch.

Attachments

• 552843.jpg
    552843.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 2,775
How many kits do you have??
I have seen so many Gretsch kits you own(ed) :-o

Bram
Right now I have 2. Later this summer, I plan to pick up a Gretsch cat Maple. and I am currently in the process of putting together a vintage 60s Japanese gig kit.
It's a sickness..

Nice looking set. I really dig the painting on the drums. Is that OEM or did you have it painted? What mods did you do?

I like how you economized stands and put more things on fewer stands. Makes the set look uncluttered.

Well GD cleared the first part of your question up for me. thanks GD!
As far as modifications, I did some work on the shells. I stripped the shell hardware off all the drums and fine (220 gt) sanded the bearing edges and shell interiors and sealed them (interiors and edges) with Minwax, rub on polyurathane (2 coats) This protects the unfinished wood and also increases the projection of the shells! Plus the finished edges get the heads moving nicely.
I made the switch for good from Evans and Remo to all Aquarians. These drums sound absolutely pro!

I am a firm believer in less is more and use alot of clamps and boom arms. I gig this
kit alot and I am trying to get it to 2 trips from car to stage. The weight reduction is also a welcome bonus. I have been huckin' giant kits and literally TONs of hardware for over 3 decades. Less really is more!

Thanks for the comments!

I've never seen that finish on the Catalina Mods. It looks cool. What are the specs on the cymbals?
Thanks, I actually don't care too much for this wrap..but for what I paid for this shell pack, I can live with it! I may go with a silver sparkle or black glass glitter rewrap??

Cymbal specs:

Sabian:
XS20 14" med. hats. I compared these side by side with Zildjian New Beats and actually preferred the XS20s! WEIRD!!
XS20 10" splash. AMAZING cut and clarity!
AAX 16" Ozone crash
HH 18" med. crash

Zildjian:
A Custom 16" med crash
K Custom 15" fast crash
K custom 20" ride

B E A U T I F U L!!! I'm drooling!! I'll bet those sound as good as they look!

thats gorgeous!
what are the drum specs?

Drums:

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod in Tattoo finish
9ply mahogany shells /30deg.outside roundover bearing edges

8x12" rack tom (5 lug)
14x16 floor tom
20x22" virgin kick drum
6.5x14" snare drum

Hardware:

Mapex 550 series cymbal stands, HH stand
Yamaha 900 series snare stand and Flying dragon pedal
Gibraltar boom arms and multi clamps and throne (soon to be replaced with roc 'n soc nitro)

This may be out there, but I always thought these drum sizes would look awesome in a lime green sparkle, with the black hardware. I'm building a kit with keller shells soon, thats going to be my route.

This may be out there, but I always thought these drum sizes would look awesome in a lime green sparkle, with the black hardware. I'm building a kit with keller shells soon, thats going to be my route.

Hmmmmm...?? (scratching chin..)

Back