DOUBLE BASS TECHNIQUE

Re: THE DOUBLE BASS TECHNIQUE THREAD

Watching videos does jack all. The best way to learn is to sit your butt on the kit and do it. Start slow at like 90 BPM doing 1/8ths and speed up until you can't follow anymore. Then try 16ths. A really big challenge for me was doing triplets. If you listen to John Dolmayan on BYOB, he does triplets all the way through, but he has locked his right hand to his right foot. Start slow doing triplets, with a quarter note on your riding hand.

Good luck!

P.S.: The REAL secret to double bass drum is this: use it as little as possible. I love Slipknot, but listen to Joey Jordison for an hour, and try to not have a headache. It's important to not overuse it. It's more impressive for someone to hear an amazing fill once in a while and really notice it, than blazing double kicks throughout a song. Be tasteful.

If you dont know how to do the heel toe technique or you just want to gain tons of speed and control you should check out ballisticdrums.com. You can take some free lessons on double bass. I took them and started getting better, faster, and more in control with my bass drum.

I tried a lot of stuff but finally found a way to train it proper: first practise with a metronome, in the beginning not too fast (don´t know how quick you are), I did it about 120 bpm, and then increase the tempo as soon as you get the slower tempo "safe". Second way: I play special patterns always including both hands and both feets (got that from the Thomas Lang DVD but I think it is a good exercise). You should try both, first for speed and safety and second for control

Just get any drumming book and try to fit double dass where it feels the best...
Although try a good drum fill:
# Small tom (snare drum) - left foot - right foot - floor tom.# Reverse it any way you like and on the high speed it sounds awesome!

A couple of things that I've noticed recently that seem to help me (since I'm too lazy to just practice rudiments without a reason):
1) To train your left: Try not leaving it on the hi-hat pedal much - leave the HH pedal closed, or move it away when you're practising DB and use the cymbals more. Initially you might not do much with your left but eventually you'll start adding in notes from the left.
2) For heel up players that want to practice their heel down (eventual goal being to be able to eventually play heel toe): Get some lighter sticks like hot rods or brushes - this way it'll make more sense to play heel down, since I find my heel up strokes are a lot louder, and you'll want to have a uniform volume, especially if you don't have everything mic-ed up where you practice.

i have been playin double bass for about a year and i cant build up a good stamina and speed without loosen control plz help

Re: jason bittner double bass lesson (video)

That's great thanks.

Too bad that there aren't so many drummer fesitvals in germany.

Re: jason bittner double bass lesson (video)

another youtube video woefully behind on the audio track.

drummer whatyacallim said:
i have been playin double bass for about a year and i cant build up a good stamina and speed without loosen control plz help

Hey,

Here is an exercises I recommend for many double bass drummers that are just getting started. First, try playing all your normal beats using just your weaker foot on the aux-pedal. You can set your hi-hats closed, or play on the ride if you don't want to get the loud hi-hat sound happening. Do this for a week or two until your weaker foot can play most of the same stuff... quick kick patterns, etc. Once you are comfortable doing that... start playing single stroke rolls slowly along with a metronome.

Tip: Think of how it was when you first started playing a single stroke roll with your hands. Many of the students I sub-teach for still have trouble with this... it's all about practice.

Don't try to go too fast. This is the #1 mistake. Focus on consistency... and play a range of speeds from 80BPM-150BPM (with 5BPM incriments as you become comfortable). Sometimes playing slower is actually harder... so spend some time at all speed ranges.

Eventually get a basic rock groove happening while playing the single stroke roll with your feet. For added challenge, use the double strokes as outined in Bass Drum Secrets. This is the next big step... but you'll want to nail the single stroke roll first for sure.

In fact... the beginning of every practice may be a bit frusterating at first... as you will want to start where you left off (in terms of speed). Go back and start at 80 BPM and be sure you are playing it correctly.

Other Tips:
  • Practice singles alone both feet independently (with a metronome)
  • Practice adding notes in between the one-foot singles with your second foot (yes, change lead foot to mix things up)
  • Eventually try patters like single paradiddles, or other more complex things from "Stick Control for the Modern Drummer"

Jacko Wacko said:
I'd love to be able to play double bass like Joey Jordison :D

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOzSiBalBFg&search=Joey Jordison
He plays cool fast double bass around half way through that video

Nice video. I'd not a big fan of the band... and had never really seen a video of him just sitting behind a kit (just the one big solo vid from live show). I kinda liked this short clip. Nothing too crazy flashy... but FAST :). Good link.

the best way to get good on double bass is to practice a lot. i started playing double bass in summer of '05. If you are dedicated to your drumming, then you are set. practice first by not even using your pedal. just work your leg muscles and build them up. doing triplets on the double bass pedal is the easiest. a good drummer that uses triplets and very fast spurts is the Lamb of God drummer, Chris Adler. his double bass is really crisp.

You guys know the book 'Stick Control' by George Lawrence Stone? You can also use that as 'Foot Control'. It's freakin' hard, but it works.

double bass problems

i recently got a gibralter avenger series double bass pedal and i love it, i can do fast bursts with them really well kind of like avenged sevenfold, the only thing is im having trouble with doing them fast for a long period of time, after a while they tend to come out of time, im into nu - metal and i would really like to now how to do this, so if anyone could give me some tips on how to get better at that would be great.

Re: double bass problems

before i make an ass of myself, welcome to drummerworld!

well to get ur feet faster, goto the technique sub-thread of the drummerworld forum and look at the stickies. one is called double bass technique thread. read that and ur feet will be uber fast!

im sorry for the smart-ass remark but when its the thread you posted this in; no offesne but it makes no sense to me. but i do stupid stuff all the time so i see it from ur point plus ur new.

How long can u hold the fast burst for in seconds/mins or what ever

It would help if u practice slow and build your endurance from there say seta time like5-10mins and play at a speed for that hole time and once u can do it easly go a littel bit faster up by like 10bpm or what ever and keep doing that.

1. Read the thread on this forum about double bass.
2. It sounds like you need to develop basic endurance with your legs. Play your patterns slower but for longer periods of time. (Like jarrod says above) Get up to the point where you could play for a half hour if you wanted to. (Not easy)
3. Stretch those muscles after practice. Please make sure you stretch properly.

Do this workout routine at least 4 days a week. You probably won't be able to do it more than that at first due to muscles soreness.

Give yourself 3 months on this and see where you're at.

Back