Starclassic B/B Problems?

RobertM

Platinum Member
Any players out there using Tama's SC B/B kits have any quality issues with them?

I just some stuff on the Tama forum about B/B's having the following issues:

- Vent Rattle – all toms, all B/B kits – no solution!
- Rack toms will not stay in tune (significant issue with lugs) – high percentage of B/B kits
- Addition Tom Purchase Delays: This one is really inexcusable – unlike Yamaha/Sonor and most kit manufacturers, Tama stocks NOTHING in the US! This applies to all finishes for the B/B kits.

A Tama rep on that forum acknowledged the problem with the lugs and the air vents. Those seem to be pretty significant issues for a SC kit. I'd expect this from the Silverstars, but not the B/B's.

I experienced none of the issues you speak of, save the one about getting more drums, I don't need any and buy what I need when I buy them. But my vents are solid, and my toms stay in tune. If a Tama rep admitted to those faults, then apparently he hasn't seen my kit.

Any players out there using Tama's SC B/B kits have any quality issues with them?

I just some stuff on the Tama forum about B/B's having the following issues:

- Vent Rattle – all toms, all B/B kits – no solution!
- Rack toms will not stay in tune (significant issue with lugs) – high percentage of B/B kits
- Addition Tom Purchase Delays: This one is really inexcusable – unlike Yamaha/Sonor and most kit manufacturers, Tama stocks NOTHING in the US! This applies to all finishes for the B/B kits.

Yo Robertos M... This guys post here.. .http://forum.tama.com/yaf_postst12397_Tama-Defects.aspx

I don't see many people freaking out..

Last edited:
I'm just aware and this has already been known that Tama Custom orders delays could be from 6 up to 12 months. Back in 2005, I've waited 6 month to receive two Swingstar toms (and it was wrap as finish...).

Other than some bearing edge issues on my 10" tom, I have not had any of the issues you listed here.

ive only encountered that tama would not order me a 14" floor tom for my B/B, however this is because i have a limited edition finish. the rest of these problems i have never encountered.

OK....I have a new starclassic BB and have been hearing some rattling noise on my 14" floor tom, after I seen this thread I checked my vent hole and sure enough it's loose. I have it tuned so nice too!!!!! Now I have to take off a head and find something like a ballbearing to hammer on it from the inside. I have to ask...does anyone care about the work they do these days? Have we become butchers.... whether it's made in USA, Germany, or China?

Done Ranting!

I waited close to a year in 72 for My Ludwigs,and thats when Ludwig was running 24 hours a day,6 days a week,and turning out around 100 drum sets a day,not including all of the other stuff in their catalog.

Tama does make great drums,and will address problems,and no,I don't work for Tama.I have seen vent hole eyelets loosen on lots of drums,from different companys.There are reasons why they loosen,and have to do with wood expanding and contracting.If you use too much force in attaching the eylet,you'll damage the shell,so logic dictates that,a little looser,is better,than damaging drum shells. There are lots of hands on operations in making drums on a mass production basis.Since the hands involved usually are attached to people,the're are mistakes made occasionally.

If you look at some vintage drums,those eyelets loosened up all the time,even the ones that mushroom,and actually pierce the wood on the interior of the shell

Is there anyone here who hasn't made a mistake....ever...really?

The detuning can be solved with washers,and the eyelet can be tighened using an eyelet tool,obtainable from Precision,or Jammin Sams,or other various drum supply houses for around 5-7 bucks.They can also be made using a bolt, and a nut and washers.The diagram is on the internet.No link,just look it up.The ball bearing and hammer routine works fine,but as anyone who has used a hammer knows,sometimes you miss,and in this case,it's your drum shell that you'll be hitting.

My rant over.

Steve B

I waited close to a year in 72 for My Ludwigs,and thats when Ludwig was running 24 hours a day,6 days a week,and turning out around 100 drum sets a day,not including all of the other stuff in their catalog.

Tama does make great drums,and will address problems,and no,I don't work for Tama.I have seen vent hole eyelets loosen on lots of drums,from different companys.There are reasons why they loosen,and have to do with wood expanding and contracting.If you use too much force in attaching the eylet,you'll damage the shell,so logic dictates that,a little looser,is better,than damaging drum shells. There are lots of hands on operations in making drums on a mass production basis.Since the hands involved usually are attached to people,the're are mistakes made occasionally.

If you look at some vintage drums,those eyelets loosened up all the time,even the ones that mushroom,and actually pierce the wood on the interior of the shell

Is there anyone here who hasn't made a mistake....ever...really?

The detuning can be solved with washers,and the eyelet can be tighened using an eyelet tool,obtainable from Precision,or Jammin Sams,or other various drum supply houses for around 5-7 bucks.They can also be made using a bolt, and a nut and washers.The diagram is on the internet.No link,just look it up.The ball bearing and hammer routine works fine,but as anyone who has used a hammer knows,sometimes you miss,and in this case,it's your drum shell that you'll be hitting.

My rant over.

Steve B

you're comparing 1972 to 2012, Really?

With all these advances in technology must we keep making the same mistakes?

Anyway....thanks for the tip on that tool for the eyelet tool!

BTW....I do love my starclassics!

You would think for what is paid for drums these days, that a company would use threaded vent with a rubber gasket on it to hold it tight. Can it really cost that much more than a pressed on vent.?

As long as drums are made out of an organic material like wood,and actual people make our drums,then yes,mistakes will be made because neither the material nor maker is perfect.There is no such thing as perfection,in anything,or anyone.Technology just reduces the chance of a mistake,it dosen't eliminate it,and as long as a flawed creature such as man,developes that technology,perfection is impossible.

And....you're welcome.:)

Steve B

You would think for what is paid for drums these days, that a company would use threaded vent with a rubber gasket on it to hold it tight. Can it really cost that much more than a pressed on vent.?

I agree,and that would seem to be the solution.But you know,all things being equal,Murphys law is always in effect,so that eyelet will loosen up too,and that drum will belong to the person it will bug the most.

I think the inside of the nut that the eyelet threads into,should have some nylon at the base of it,like a lock nut has.But that would eventually wear out too.

Loosening eyelets,along with death and taxes,may be something we might have to live with.

Steve B

Maybe they should drill the bloody vent hole then epoxy or seal the open inside edge of the inner diameter of the hole, then slap a rubber grommet in there. Wham bham thank you maam! Who says the vent hole has to be shiny and sometimes rattly, I'd rather have reliability and simply have the hole be disctrete.

I made my own Picollo snare and used a threaded vent and all I did was tighten it with my hands and it has yet to come loose. The wood is soft and it will grip.

Back