Stepping outside the box :)

Andy

Honorary Member
I've been looking for an original music project for quite a while. Today, I stumbled across this opportunity, & I've applied for an audition. Thing is, it's not really me, but maybe it is? There's something I really like about this act, & I think I could do something with it.

Over the past two years, I've been more & more turned on by some Indie music, mainly due to exposure of output from Middle Farm Studios where we record the Guru sessions.

Anyhow, I may not even get past first contact, we'll see, but I'm interested in your opinions on this act. I did catch Ria live at a festival I ran sound for recently. Great energy, so I know she ticks the live boxes big time. The band she appeared with was - well - average :( She's now going solo & looking to put a kick ass band together. She plays lead guitar too :) Here's a couple of her solo tracks:

Click on the first song http://www.reverbnation.com/riaparfitt/song/8034890-put-on-a-light

& a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9liZabGhoA

Whacha think - for Andy?

whish I could get youtube here at work to check the clips. Would this be in addition to all fired up? If this kind of music interests you, go for it. that's what brings out the best in all of us, playing a genre we really feel. and, who knows maybe she is looking for a broken down, grumpy, less than average, beer slogged person who thinks they are a drummer! and the fact that you assume to be some kind of sound GURU will be a huge asset when you drunkenly talk gibberish about getting the best sound for the band..man its a win, win situation!

You have the skills to play it but I'm wondering if you desperately need extra projects on top of Guru, family, Fired Up, mixing gigs, your other work and maintaining the property or whether you're completely bonkers? ;-)

You have the skills to play it but I'm wondering if you desperately need extra projects on top of Guru, family, Fired Up, mixing gigs, your other work and maintaining the property or whether you're completely bonkers? ;-)
Let's go for completely bonkers ;) What do you think of the act Grea - mileage?

who knows maybe she is looking for a broken down, grumpy, less than average, beer slogged person who thinks they are a drummer! and the fact that you assume to be some kind of sound GURU will be a huge asset when you drunkenly talk gibberish about getting the best sound for the band..man its a win, win situation!
I think you're overrating me ;)

I agree with Grea. You can do it, but aren't you busy enough? I commend your enthusiasm though, if you can keep more plates in the air, more power to ya!

The act is ok, although after watching the video I question why she would need a kick ass band. The song didn't really require extraordinary players. Does she have some kind of fusion material she'd rather be doing?

Like Polly I think you can do it my busy friend :)

I kinda like the Indie rock vibe in what she does.

Did you speak with Ria at the festival?

... then there's the image thinguy :) I'd love to see you with her band, lol.

She seems serious and quite dedicated to make it in the music business... do you really want to make such a commitment with all the things you already do?

...this is for the thread's title :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyjlRfLF6PY

Last edited:
I like the vibe.

Do it !

Don't over think it.

It may not work out in the long run but any opportunity to play, learn and create should be taken.
How else can we know what music we don't like.
How else can we discover the things we can't play.

No matter what, you will learn something of value.

Andy, if you think you want to do it, that means you already know you do.

I wouldn't want to be as busy as you, but that just tells me we're wired differently. You probably couldn't have it any other way!

Only you can answer this Andy. Only you know how much it calls you. Maybe you have a need to be in an original band again. As far as the music, you'd fit right in. I bet you could even use windchimes with this person's music. I blame all this on the 1982 recordings lol.

You deserve anything good that comes your way. Whatever you decide, you have my support.

The act is ok, although after watching the video I question why she would need a kick ass band. The song didn't really require extraordinary players. Does she have some kind of fusion material she'd rather be doing?
when I say kick ass, I'm not talking technically complexed. Perfectly possible to be kick ass without using all the tools :)

Did you speak with Ria at the festival?
Yes Henri, but there was no mention of a solo project. Me finding her ad was purely coincidental. Since posting this thread, she's been in touch, & seems interested :)

Don't over think it.
I think that's the right attitude Jim. It either works out, or it doesn't.

Andy, if you think you want to do it, that means you already know you do.

I wouldn't want to be as busy as you, but that just tells me we're wired differently. You probably couldn't have it any other way!
Not really. I'm very interested to hear if the fine members here hear what I'm hearing in terms of potential to be a good band. I'm thinking more along the lines of recording.

I blame all this on the 1982 recordings lol.
You may have a point Larry.

Yes, being a bit busy is certainly a consideration. Not least of all learning 16 original songs for a gig early December. That's on top of some chunky gigs coming up for the Fired Up boys. Oh, & preparation for the London Drum Show, 3 kits to build, about 12 snare drums, launch a new drum series, and the small matter of 4 days/week consultancy work. Hmmmm :(

It's no secret that you keep a busy schedule Ands. It's the ratio of the amount of soul satisfaction vs time spent. The bigger the gap the better. So you'd have to try to see what that is.

What's the worst that could happen?

Yes, being a bit busy is certainly a consideration. Not least of all learning 16 original songs for a gig early December. That's on top of some chunky gigs coming up for the Fired Up boys. Oh, & preparation for the London Drum Show, 3 kits to build, about 12 snare drums, launch a new drum series, and the small matter of 4 days/week consultancy work. Hmmmm :(

I think you've worked out the answer for yourself ...

It's no secret that you keep a busy schedule Ands. It's the ratio of the amount of soul satisfaction vs time spent. The bigger the gap the better. So you'd have to try to see what that is.
Good call on the satisfaction ratio Larry. That's an important one right there.

I think you've worked out the answer for yourself ...
No Grea, I'm torn. Lack of available time being a consideration for sure, but not a deal breaker.

That must mean you're not busy enough! Get out there and get started!
Hmmmm ----

You're right Grea... Andy's gonna go for it :)
Not so sure Henri. I've just been sent additional material, & TBH, I didn't much like it. I'll see how it goes, but often better to bail early on a gut feeling than go through the motions. We'll see.

Just got the call for an audition in just over 2 weeks time. 5 players chosen apparently. I'm not confident despite the conversation going very well. Not sure if I'm feeling it. The audition should put that to bed either way - it's a two way thing after all :)

Just got the call for an audition in just over 2 weeks time. 5 players chosen apparently. I'm not confident despite the conversation going very well. Not sure if I'm feeling it. The audition should put that to bed either way - it's a two way thing after all :)

doesn't sound like you really want to audition? is there fear of getting the gig and regretting the commitment?

doesn't sound like you really want to audition? is there fear of getting the gig and regretting the commitment?
No, it's more of a material thing. I'm in uncharted territory. No concerns about being able to perform the drum parts, that's straight forward enough, it's more whether I'm getting off on the song vibe. We'll see, I have an open mind.

Hey nice going Andy!

How short is your period of time....and is it for a gig that's already booked?

Big gig?

Where?

Instrumentation?

I need details Crosby.

Back