Rogers Holiday restoration

I would just do the "diy" fixes on the B&B lugs and leave the drum as it is. Who cares about the lugs really so long as they work. BTW I did score a 1968 Rogers kit myself recently. Only the wrap needs some attention.

Here is what I did for my old Ludwig kit:

1. Cleaned with simple green
2. Used some automotive rubbing compound where needed
3. Used some liquid carnuba wax

Gave me awesome results. You could also do the full wet sand approach. Same as you would do to fix a dull car paint.

Your Rogers kit is stunning! Congrats brother.

And I just looked up a video demo of that rubbing compound and it looks like just what I need, thank you! I'd try to wet sand them but I don't think I could pull that off without making things worst.

Good Stuff....Covington is much closer to Dayton than It is to Cleveland, so some suit must have been looking to save on shipping and where housing or maybe labor rates. I was born and raised in Cleveland and graduated from OSU, so there is a link here.

So this link seems to be a very valid reason....one my wife will surely understand....to acquire a Rogers kit and restore it.

That's definitely a valid reason, if I've ever heard one!

Drums are starting to look good... Just applied some Simple Green, Turtle Wax rubbing compound and wax (Thanks AirborneSFC). Here are the results:

Attachments

• IMG_00000010 (1).jpg
    IMG_00000010 (1).jpg
    110 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_00000011.jpg
    IMG_00000011.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_00000003.jpg
    IMG_00000003.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 585
Those shells are looking real nice. They cleaned up really well. I can't wait to see some vids with you hitting them.

Looks good..I have an old band mate (guitarist) that had a set of these in the same color..the bass was 24" 10 lug..I changed the heads for him, tuned it up and they sounded sooo good..I used it for recording a demo and they really recorded nicely. I have tried to buy them from him many times be wont sell...

I used a bunch of Simple Green and car wax myself on a Rogers restoration... here's link if you want to see it - http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88274. You're doing beautiful work!!! I can't wait to see it finished!

Gorgeous set brother!

Those shells are looking real nice. They cleaned up really well. I can't wait to see some vids with you hitting them.

I'll make sure to upload a vid once I'm all done! :)

Looks good..I have an old band mate (guitarist) that had a set of these in the same color..the bass was 24" 10 lug..I changed the heads for him, tuned it up and they sounded sooo good..I used it for recording a demo and they really recorded nicely. I have tried to buy them from him many times be wont sell...

That kick must sound monstrous! haha Really excited to hear how these puppies sound when I'm all done.

Just started working on the lugs today. Here's a little sneak peek:

Attachments

• IMG_00000025.jpg
    IMG_00000025.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 563
i love this thread...looking excellent so far...hoping you will post audio once the time is right

your experience and this thread is helping me figure out how to approach a very old pearl snare ...almost the same color.

maybe I missed it; is there any work to be done on the bearing edges?

i love this thread...looking excellent so far...hoping you will post audio once the time is right

your experience and this thread is helping me figure out how to approach a very old pearl snare ...almost the same color.

maybe I missed it; is there any work to be done on the bearing edges?

Definitely will post a video once it's all finished! And the only bearing edge that could use some work is the floor tom's reso bearing edge, but I'm going to leave it be for now and see how it sounds first.

Well, 4 hours or so later and the lugs are done.

I basically only used Brasso on the lugs that didn't have any green-ish grime on them, and a bit of CLR prior to the Brasso on the lugs that were really dirty. I cleaned them by putting a small dab of Brasso onto a Q-tip and working it into the lug, then wiping it off with a cotton cloth to get the Brasso off and then using a second cloth for a final buff. I think they turned out great! Now to get those spings and lug inserts back into the lugs...

Attachments

• IMG_00000034.jpg
    IMG_00000034.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_00000033.jpg
    IMG_00000033.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_00000030.jpg
    IMG_00000030.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_00000029.jpg
    IMG_00000029.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_00000022.jpg
    IMG_00000022.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 522
**Update**

I encountered another problem...

The 12" lug spacing won't fit the beavertail lugs I had intended to use, and I don't have enough B&B lugs for it.

I'm thinking about using the 13" tom instead (this would make it a 20", 13", 16" setup) since the beavertail lugs do fit on it. However, the Rogers badge on the 13" tom is on the exact opposite side of the tom mount, so it wouldn't be visible when looking at the kit from out front.

Should I:

A) Attempt to uninstall and reinstall the Rogers badge so that I can use the new bass drum and tom mounts that I just purchased

or

B) Mount the 13" on a snare stand

Thoughts?

PS. Buying more B&B lugs for the 12" isn't an option at this point because I wouldn't get them in time for Xmas

All the lugs and mounts have finally been added to the shells! Will post pics of the entire kit all set up once I get the skins.

Attachments

• IMG_00000077.jpg
    IMG_00000077.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 471
Here are the final results. My dad couldn't/still can't believe it! It's far from perfect but it's exactly what I expected it to be, a player's kit. He's going to be taking over the project from here on out.

Attachments

• IMG_00000107.jpg
    IMG_00000107.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 424
Beautiful, a job well done. You must put up Youtube vid of your Dad and the kit in action.

Back