Custom Classic Pro Birch Hybrid Review

pearlygates

Gold Member
Review of Custom Classic Pro Birch Hybrid drum set 10-17-2010

Fit and finish:

The kit is packaged as a 6 pc, 2up and 2 down set with HD double braced hardware. The set can be purchased without the hardware as a shell only kit for $100 less.
The drums are all shallow depth with a 6x10”, 7x12”, 12x14” and a 14x16” (the 14 and 16” are floor toms with legs) The bass drum is an industry standard 18x22” and is virgin (No holes drilled for tom mounting bracket) and the snare drum is a standard sized 5.5x14”

The shells are 7ply 100% Asian birch with 45 degree bearing edges. The grain quality is outstanding and the edge work and interior sanding very -very nice. Unexpected at this price point. I set the drums on a flat surface (without heads) to check for shell trueness and was very happy to see that the shells were all nice and flat.
I ordered the CC PBH in the new Sunset Burst lacquer that apart from a couple very tiny air bubbles here and there is absolutely stunning. The gloss clear coat is brilliant and the high tension (long) lugs are very nicely chromed and attached to the shells with black mounting hardware. A nice touch that adds some more class to the great build of these drums! There are also rubber gaskets under all the shell hardware.. Nice. My wife comments on how beautiful these drums are and I have to agree. They look like they should cost a lot more than their $500 price tag!

Tuning ease:

I was impressed how easily this kit tuned up! The toms seem to hold their tuning quite admirably as well do the kick and snare drums. The range of tuning is fairly wide but seems to favor a medium tension on the toms and medium to low tension on the floors and kick. This is not to say that this kit won't sound good with a more cranked up tuning..it actually does sound mighty fine tuned higher for a fusionesque sound.

The Sound:

Being that these shells are 100% birch they are, by the cellular structure of the wood species, going to be higher pitched with a natural eq'd sound that is heavy on the low frequency and lighter in the mid/mid lows. I swapped out the kinda crappy stock single ply heads and decided to try some new Evans EC2 (SST) heads on all the tom batters with EC resos. As mentioned earlier, the drums tuned up effortlessly and once tuned up the ear to ear grin began. The birch shells coupled with the short tom depths produced a attack and punch laden tone that to me, is out of this world! The initial “snap” of the birch shells (with 45 deg edges) followed by a super fat tone with a nice short sustain that resonated just right. This kit would KILL for metal drummers as well as rockers or jazz players. The kick drum performed equally as well. Just fat and punchy as you'd expect from a good birch shell. I haven't experimented with different heads on the kick other than a REMO Powerstroke 3 (smooth white).
I imagine that an EVANS EMAD would be killer on this drum as well. I am generally not a big fan of stock snare drums, but this 5.5x14” birch snare sounds really good! It has a pretty decent tuning range and would be fine to use as the main snare drum or move it to the side and use it as an aux drum.

Conclusion: All things considered with the missing t-rod, a couple small blems in the finish and HW that needed some lubing, the Custom Classic Pro Birch Hybrid is a winner! For $500 and free shipping, you are getting a kit that is not only affordable for beginning drummers, but a kit that ANY drummer could be proud to play. In the studio this kit would be a star! Live, I think it would be equally at home. There are going to be those who will turn their noses at these kits. But for drummers on a budget who are looking for a quality kit in fit, finish and sound..to me the CCPBH is a no brainer!

I will be recording a you tube video showcasing this kit and will also be in the studio with a prog rock band sometime in the near future so I will be putting these tubs through their paces.

morehybrid012.jpg

I just wanted to say thanks for your comments and review of the Custom Classic Birch Hybrid kit. I have been doing a lot of research, and I am kind of going out on a limb and getting this kit in the natural finish.

I was convinced when I first saw the videos from Sigler music. I hadn't yet looked at the kits, and I was thinking while watching the video, "Wow, that kit sounds amazing and looks awesome. Too bad I couldn't afford something like that." To my surprise, it was well within my price range! I'm mainly a recording person who enjoys drumming as a hobby, so I don't know an extensive about about drum kits, but I do know what I think sounds really good.

I was wondering if you have any tips for initial setup (my kit should get here by the end of this week). I saw that you got some replacement evans heads, which sounds like a good idea.

From the pics you posted, I think I want to set up the kit very similarly. I like having the higher toms sort of surrounding the snare, and I love the fact that you don't have to mount the toms on the kick drum. I think that is good for the sound, and I also just love the look of it.

So anyway, thanks again for the reviews and I'll be sure to let you know how everything works out!!

Nate

Nate, had mine for a year now and have not regretted it. No problems yet and I have gigged with it about seven or eight times ofver the last year (gig meaning bar/club type set ups). I usually use mine in a 1 up, two down set up. I've got some EC2 SST's ordered to put on mine.

SANY6374.jpg

PG, based on your two posts on this kit, and the sound and video samples I've seen, it looks like a great deal. Sadly, every single CC kit on the Sigler website is apparently "out of stock". Too bad - looks like a fantastic deal, I'm seriously hoping they restock so that I can send for one eventually.

Nate, had mine for a year now and have not regretted it. No problems yet and I have gigged with it about seven or eight times ofver the last year (gig meaning bar/club type set ups). I usually use mine in a 1 up, two down set up. I've got some EC2 SST's ordered to put on mine.

Wow... that is absolutely gorgeous. I am so excited, I'm sure I'll be spending the first part of next week getting everything set up and rocking. Your pic raises some questions for me:

- Is there a high-tom hidden behind the tom on the right-side of the pic? Your setup looks almost exactly how I like it with the toms fairly low and a low ride over the kick drum.

- Where did you get your reso kick drum head? Looks awesome! It compliments the color of the kit really well. (I'm getting that same natural finish)

- Have you used the EC2 SST's before? I'm debating between them and the G2 clears. Any thoughts on that? Of course, I could use the heads that come with the kit, but I'm guessing I'll like a replacement better.

- What kind of ride do you use? Looks really nice. I'm just beginning to get into drumming, so I got a set of Wuhan "New Traditionals". I've been reading that they have a nice "high end" sound because they are B20 cymbals, but are quite inexpensive. I'm getting 14" hats, 16" crash, 22" Ride, and an 18" crash/ride.

You've got me totally stoked. I can't wait!

Is there a high-tom hidden behind the tom on the right-side of the pic? No I don't have the 10" mounted in this photo. I nomally use one rack tom and two floor toms. Nothing wrong with the 10" but I just am used to this set up.

- Where did you get your reso kick drum head? Looks awesome! It compliments the color of the kit really well. (I'm getting that same natural finish) Thanks! It is a Remo Fyberskin that I painted the design on.

Have you used the EC2 SST's before? I haven't ever used them but I know Pearly had them on his kit.

- What kind of ride do you use? It is a Zildjian A from the late 70s/early80s. Bought it used back in 1982 and have used it ever since. I have never tried the Wuhans.

You've got me totally stoked. I can't wait! I think you will be very happy. I actually bought these more as a practice kit and have ended up using them to play some gigs with. I have been very pleased with them.

Thanks for all the info! Awesome job on the kick head design. That is really gorgeous.

Any last tips before I get it this week? Someone already said to be kind of careful with not over-tightening the tom legs. I'm thinking that I might get a replacement snare batter head, but initially try out the stock tom heads just to see how they sound.

Do the toms tune up pretty easily? I haven't had a lot of experience with drum tuning. I'm thinking a torque key will help me with that. I'll post pics when it's all setup!

I would have liked to see a 10 lug bass drum and I think the bass drum lugs look a wee bit out of proportion with such a big gap between the hoops and the lug themselves, but thats just me.

I would have liked to see a 10 lug bass drum and I think the bass drum lugs look a wee bit out of proportion with such a big gap between the hoops and the lug themselves, but thats just me.

I think the longer tension rods gives it a vintage look which drew me to it initially. The other toms have this look also. Granted, they probably used the size lugs they did because there might have been a six million lug stockpile somewhere they bought.

And I always think a ten lug on a 22" bass would be better but...

Hi. I've been playing the drums for about 3 months now. I'm not really in love with my set right now and I found these and was wondering if these would be a good set for me. Or if I should just deal with my drums right now.

Hi. I've been playing the drums for about 3 months now. I'm not really in love with my set right now and I found these and was wondering if these would be a good set for me. Or if I should just deal with my drums right now.

Depends what you have now.

COOL! thanks for taking the time for a nice review, and showing us that beautiful set. absolutely love that color.

I hve an SP 4 pc starter kit. That' all I really know about it.
The Custom Classic PBH is a giant step forward from your present kit. That is not taking away from your kit at all. It is what it is - a solid starter kit.

If you are serious about drums the CCs will take you to the next level and beyond!

CCPBH010.jpg

CCPBH003.jpg

CCPBH004.jpg

CCPBH008.jpg

Back