Beginner (Fun) songs?

Nuzki

Need an idea for beginner songs to play

Thanks

EDIT: Rock may do, apologies for being clear as mud

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken there is a similar thread here at DW regarding beginner songs, perhaps you could use the search function ?

You used the word "fun". Fun for you?
As Justjames said, pick a genre.

Name a song that you think is fun.

When I first started to play the drums, my easy fun songs were 50's rock and roll and surf music.
The first song I ever played correctly all the way through was The Locomotion by Little Eva.

Do you like the Strokes? Most of the drums on those albums are pretty approachable, even for a newbie. I usually find them fun to play.

CCR - Douglas "Cosmo" Clifford is about as bread & butter as they come.

Beatles, Stones, any one-hit-wonder, and the Elvis Costello catalogue through about 1982.

Bermuda

...Name a song that you think is fun...

There's this too. What's fun for me, may not be for you.
Pick a song that you like to listen to that's fun. If it's too complicated, simplify it at first.

If you get really stuck and can't do it at all, consider getting some lessons, if you aren't doing so already.

There's this too. What's fun for me, may not be for you.
Pick a song that you like to listen to that's fun. If it's too complicated, simplify it at first.

If you get really stuck and can't do it at all, consider getting some lessons, if you aren't doing so already.

Im doing Back in Black at the moment

Pretty much anything by AC/DC is a good place to start. Once you learn one song by them the rest are easy to pick up and you can go from there.

And the important thing to take from playing AC/DC songs is not that they're easy (though they obviously are), but how to play in the groove, be comfortably on time, and...have fun. :)

Fleetwood Mac's Go Your Own Way is pretty straightforward, and also breaks the 'usual' money beat pattern for the verse groove.

Running Down A Dream by Tom Petty is pretty straightforward (as I think is most of Mr Petty's work). As a newb-ish drummer, I find the transition to fast 8th's on the hats for the chorus a bit tricksy and the signature fill is pleasantly syncopated.

And the important thing to take from playing AC/DC songs is not that they're easy (though they obviously are), but how to play in the groove, be comfortably on time, and...have fun. :)

Not to put too fine a point on it, but while I would agree that replicating the sequence of notes played by Phil Rudd is not technically demanding, he has a groove and swagger all his own which is very difficult to nail down. Much of his deceptively simple sound also relies on the brilliant choices he makes with his cymbals (when to accent and which ones to use and in which order) and is hugely underrated in that department

Back